Joonas Donskoi. Signed Free Agent May 2015

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It probably ties to scoring chance too. The closer your average shot distance is, the more likely it's a scoring chance. Needs more refinement.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
And it's not like that list is populated with crappy players. Playing "on the inside" is the key to success in hockey. If Donskoi proves as good as any of the players on that list that is a good thing.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
More from Donskoi this summer. Some funny tidbit about him and Burns there also. Hope you can get a translation, since I don't have the time to do it. https://youtu.be/OmdnOkQG2xM

Ah well, got some time in my hands, might as well de-lurk here and have a go at the translation... Cheer all, BTW. Something of a new Sharks fan but maybe primarily a Finn homer. :naughty:

-So, Joonas Donskoi, how has your summer been in Oulu?
- It's been good. Very pleasant. Hard workouts, time with friends and family, and everything in between. Been a nice summer.
- So it's been a shorter summer than usual, but I guess you don't mind?
- Sure don't. We had an awesome season. We truly wanted to get where we got, to the finals, it was a great season. Got here for the Midsummer and that's where my summer started.

- Now you've had a few weeks of workouts on ice. How's the skate going?
- Better all the time. Of course we started with other training, off ice workouts. But now skating is going good again. I have a good feeling going forward.
- What have you focused on in your summer training?
- Some old things that have always been useful to me. And additionally some fighting power, more strength for board battles. In the small rink you're wrestling the opposing guys all the time. Otherwise basic things, aerobic training, working to improve my shot, skating.

- Your first NHL season is now behind you. You played the entire season in the big club. Was it a surprise to you how well you adjusted to NHL hockey?
- Well yes, actually. I had really no expectations going over there, but I knew I've worked hard, I'm in good condition. I've kind of reached my potential so I knew what I have. So I felt pretty calm about it, just let's test how far what I have takes me. I had no idea how good the other guys there are going to be, I just knew about the big stars, so everything in the small rink was kind of new. Just tried to keep an open mind. Then in the training camp it felt like this is going well, the small rink is a good fit and so on, only positive experiences.
- How did you have to change your own game when you moved from Liiga to NHL?
- Well it's a lot faster, reading the game gets emphasized, you have to make the decisions a lot faster. You have to skate a lot more, you have pressure on you all the time, the puck going from end to end, all happening fast. You don't have those moments where a defenseman is holding onto the puck behind the net and the rest are standing around in a neutral zone trap taking a breath, you're going all the time..

- How are you prepared for the notorious sophomore slump?
- I guess I'll just not think about it, that's probably the best way. I feel I've progressed physically this summer, have a good feeling in my body. Just try to stay healthy and keep an open mind going into the new season.

- You're soon going to the World Cup. What thoughts do you have about that?
- A really good feeling. To get selected in the first place. And it's going to be such a tough tournament, all the world's best players. Nice to get to see my own level and the level of Finnish hockey against others, with a familiar coach. And playing in America in the small rink, it's going to be a lot of new things to many of us, so it's going to be an interesting as a project too. I feel confident, we have a good team.
- Have you been meeting with the World Cup coaching team already?
- Yes, we've had talks.
- What kind of things did you cover?
- Certain things, like player roles, features of the game system. Of course the tournament gets going fast so it's good to cover these things well in advance.

- Finally one thing. Remember this tricks video that's on Youtube, where you say your dream is to take Brent Burns "out to lunch" and then put the puck in the top corner? Have you heard about this in the Sharks locker room?
- Yes. I reckon it was the first time in the rookie camp, must have been the first time I shook hands with Burns and he immediately mentioned it. I think someone had shown it to him during the WHC games or something, he had heard about it. We had some laughs over it.
- Have you fulfilled the dream yet?
- Well, I've tried at practice, but you can't really get past him. Not easy.

[I like his typical poker-face Finnish humor, the interview is all in pretty light mood, but I also like how serious he seems to be about training, the Sharks, the national team.]

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Thanks a ton, Torque! Welcome to the boards. :)

That was a really great interview. Donskoi is awesome, and I can't wait to see what he can do this upcoming year. Rather than a sophomore slump, I think he'll have a true breakout season if he can skate with Logan all year.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Thanks guys! :)

I was impressed how self confident yet cool headed he appears in the interview. And he sounds like summer training and conditioning has gone well. Will be interesting to watch the WCH tourney.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Thanks a ton, Torque! Welcome to the boards. :)

That was a really great interview. Donskoi is awesome, and I can't wait to see what he can do this upcoming year. Rather than a sophomore slump, I think he'll have a true breakout season if he can skate with Logan all year.

If Donskoi takes a step forward the sky's the limit for that line... exciting stuff!

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
If Donskoi takes a step forward the sky's the limit for that line... exciting stuff!

Don't expect a huge personal step though. While he said he has specifically worked on (improved) his shot and his physical play, he also said he has reached his potential (upside). That was almost a disarmingly honest and humble statement.

That said, of course experience will continue to improve his game, and then there's the whole line chemistry thing that may have some untapped potential left.

My favorite bit apart from the Burnzie thing was how it's been a surprise he adjusted so well. Nice to have nice surprises. :)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Don't expect a huge personal step though. While he said he has specifically worked on (improved) his shot and his physical play, he also said he has reached his potential (upside). That was almost a disarmingly honest and humble statement.

That said, of course experience will continue to improve his game, and then there's the whole line chemistry thing that may have some untapped potential left.

My favorite bit apart from the Burnzie thing was how it's been a surprise he adjusted so well. Nice to have nice surprises. :)

That is just donskoi putting less pressure on himself this season and future ones after.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Hmm I had read the context of that statement differently (that he had fulfilled his potential to play in the NHL full time, not that he had reached his maximum potential). but I figure you are better equipped to read what he said in his own language.

that's a little disappointing if he meant it that way.

then again if his potential is to score GWGs in the stanley cup final ... I'm fine with that lol

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Donskoi has more upside than he has shown, what I mean is that now that he is accustomed to the NHL and plays with a great centerman, he can show himself to be a 45-50 point player (considering he'll only get #2PP unit time). Donskoi showed immense talent this season but he struggled at the beginning adjusting to the league, and playing with mediocre linemates. Once he finally put it together, he was phenomenal. I just think that he'll have a full year at the caliber of play that he showed down the stretch and into the postseason.

I've been re-watching games from rounds 1-3 recently (it makes me happy, shut up :laugh:), and man, Donskoi stands out in a big way. Just a full year playing like that would be incredible.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Donskoi has more upside than he has shown, what I mean is that now that he is accustomed to the NHL and plays with a great centerman, he can show himself to be a 45-50 point player (considering he'll only get #2PP unit time). Donskoi showed immense talent this season but he struggled at the beginning adjusting to the league, and playing with mediocre linemates. Once he finally put it together, he was phenomenal. I just think that he'll have a full year at the caliber of play that he showed down the stretch and into the postseason.

I've been re-watching games from rounds 1-3 recently (it makes me happy, shut up :laugh:), and man, Donskoi stands out in a big way. Just a full year playing like that would be incredible.

Yeah i am hoping he doesn't mean the best he will ever be is a 30 point player because that is just dissapointing for what we all know he can bring.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Donskoi strikes me as a player who is very close to his long-term upside but will go on a crazy 2-3 year run of 65-75 points before coming back down to a 40-50 point average

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Kinda like a Ryane Clowe type of career trajectory (except hopefully without the concussion issues)?

Sadly with hertl it won't be concussion but the knee issues are not a good sign. He has had already 2 major knee injuries in 3 seasons in the nhl.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Hmm I had read the context of that statement differently (that he had fulfilled his potential to play in the NHL full time, not that he had reached his maximum potential). but I figure you are better equipped to read what he said in his own language.

that's a little disappointing if he meant it that way.

then again if his potential is to score GWGs in the stanley cup final ... I'm fine with that lol

To be sure, that's just my reading of it. But anyway I think he meant more mental and personal things like vision, reading the game, coming up with plays. Sure he wouldn't be working on the "mundane" skills like shot and skating this summer if he didn't think there's room for growth there. :) In the same vein, I don't see he meant his points this season, like settling to be a 30 point player or some other arbitrary number. Just not the type. He has stood out in the national team because he's the type to step up big time. He'll strive for more in the Sharks too. :nod:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
In the second half of the season and the playoffs, I caught myself expecting Donskoi to do something special almost every shift, and like.. he mostly DID. He's a treat to watch, and just ridiculously smart. I also love his patience and confidence. If he had Pavs shot, he'd have the potential to get 30+ goals, but, him staying at the level he showed at the end of the year is treat enough.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
To be sure, that's just my reading of it. But anyway I think he meant more mental and personal things like vision, reading the game, coming up with plays. Sure he wouldn't be working on the "mundane" skills like shot and skating this summer if he didn't think there's room for growth there. :) In the same vein, I don't see he meant his points this season, like settling to be a 30 point player or some other arbitrary number. Just not the type. He has stood out in the national team because he's the type to step up big time. He'll strive for more in the Sharks too. :nod:

That's how I read what you translated.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

You're right, the amazing thing is that he played 100 regular season and playoff games last year. His previous high was 71 games. So playing great hockey at the end while playing 30% more games is quite a feat.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
You're right, the amazing thing is that he played 100 regular season and playoff games last year. His previous high was 71 games. So playing great hockey at the end while playing 30% more games is quite a feat.

And he'll probably go down in history as scoring the most important goal in Sharks franchise history. I was there, so by default that was better than the Jamie Baker goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00