Injury Report: Jonas Brodin (Broken Cheekbone, Skating)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Pictured this:

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

That's pretty much how I meant it. No one even bothers making an offer for him.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Glowing article about J-Bro.

“In training camp, we were all watching him and it was like, ‘Who’s this guy?’ ” Suter said. “Just the way he was moving the puck and the skating, we would ask the coaches, and they’d be like, ‘Yeah, that kid’s going to be here. That kid’s going to be a player.’

“Days later, he was. Me and [Jared Spurgeon] were struggling and then Spurg got hurt, and Brodin came and never left.”

“We knew how poised he was, but then to see him come and play the minutes that he played with composure, I don’t want to say we were shocked, but it was like, ‘Whoa, there’s a whole other level to this kid,’ ” Sydor said.

“The kid’s got the best stick in the world,” center Zenon Konopka said. “It’s almost like not fair the way he can move and what he adds. For a rookie to be playing against other team’s top lines every night, you don’t hear of that. This kid is going to be a stud, and I’m not saying five years from now. I mean soon.”

“He’s quiet, he smiles, and he just plays the game. Pretty much zero maintenance,” Wild assistant GM Brent Flahr said.

Suter doesn’t worry about the proverbial sophomore slump with Brodin, saying, “He’s got ice in his veins, he’s humble and not the type that puts himself up on a pedestal.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/223777441.html

Last edited:

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Unless there is a complete meltdown, Yeo had better keep him with Suter. They BOTH kicked one another into gear last year. Perfect for each other. Couldn't have found a better match on Harmony.com. I can recall Yeo trying some experiments by breaking them up and it wasn't pretty. Not saying that they won't see time apart years down the road after Brodin has become a veteran, but right now, keep the kid with his mentor.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I'm so ridiculously happy that we have a top-5 defensive pair in the NHL right now. Maybe top-3 in the future.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
I'm so ridiculously happy that we have a top-5 defensive pair in the NHL right now. Maybe top-3 in the future.

Agreed. I'm also very happy that we may have that solid 3rd defenseman we were hoping Gilbert would be. If Scandella plays like he did in the playoffs, I think that'll be the single best improvement on this team. (Runner up= a whole year of Pominville)

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Performance on the ice is one thing, but when HFboards really gets wind of this kid, I am super excited for all the "Brodin to X" threads with the OP going as follows:

Brodin to X for [average top-4 Dman who has already peaked] + [well known Dman but who at the end of his career and no more than a bottom-pairing guy at this point that the poster is hoping nobody outside of that team realizes at this point]

"I know that the Wild are really high on Brodin, but if they are going to make a serious playoff push, they are going to need more veteran presence on their blueline."

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Suter's got the covered. ;)
I am pumped for our blueline if our kids don't take major steps back.

Suter is Norris.

Brodin is going to be a star.

Scandella is inconsistent but he's young, has played at a high level in the NHL, and has all the tools to be a great #3.

Spurgeon has proven to be a solid #4 who can be on the 2nd PP.

Ballard could fit as a quality #5 if he re-discovers his game.

Stoner is a great #6 and brings want you want in that position.

We have a few guys who can push for the #7 spot.

Honestly, if we get decent years out of Scandella and Ballard, our blueline is going to be one of the better ones we've had.

Billy Mays Here*

With all the young forwards battling for spots I would expect there to be far more proposals about teams asking for one of them rather than Brodin or any of our other younger d-men.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
ESPN.com released there Top 50 D Rankings. Brodin came in at 32 overall as the youngest D on the list, and in the range of some pretty good D.

Pretty high praise after 45 NHL games.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Suter over Weber :amazed:

Kind of puts Nashville fans in a tough spot...if they say Weber is better than Suter then the inference is Brodin is better than Josi, which they seem reluctant to admit.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Weber > Suter guarding the slot and shooting the puck
Suter > Weber moving the puck, either skating or passing

They were about as perfect a pairing as you can get. Amazing both are still considered top five defensemen.

^^^^ Jarick hit is so perfectly. It is why Lidstrom and Rafalski were so amazing together.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Kind of puts Nashville fans in a tough spot...if they say Weber is better than Suter then the inference is Brodin is better than Josi, which they seem reluctant to admit.

Josi didn't even make the list.

So not only did Suter beat out Weber on the list... Brodin blew Josi out.

^^^^ Jarick hit is so perfectly. It is why Lidstrom and Rafalski were so amazing together.
Except Lidstrom was better than Rafalski at everything.... not to take anything away from Rafalski, he was a damn good D-man himself.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Brodin>Josi..

An is no way that a knock on Josi. He is a REALLY good defenseman. Definetely going to be a stud as well. I'd love to get him on the Wild somehow.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Brodin>Josi..

An is no way that a knock on Josi. He is a REALLY good defenseman. Definetely going to be a stud as well. I'd love to get him on the Wild somehow.

Neiderreiter will send him a text during the off-season. :sarcasm:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Just thought I'd check in on the little guy now that we are a couple of games in, I realize it is still very early but how has he looked so far?

2nd in scoring on the Wild.
6th in scoring overall in the NHL amongst defensemen.
On pace for 27 G 41 A (!!!) (I know it is too still to early for a pace prediction though)

10th in TOI/G amongst defensemen (up 2 min/game from last year).

On the records it looks like he is doing his fair share but I have not seen any games yet so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad