Injury Report: Jonas Brodin (Broken Cheekbone, Skating)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopa I

Nov 22, 2009
Brantford
This past year what made Brodin so successful on the defensive side of the puck? and do you believe there is a sophomore slump in his future and if not how will he do?

Last edited by a moderator:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
This past year what made Brodin so successful on the defensive side of the puck? and do you believe there is a sophomore slump in his future and if not how will he do?

He's an elite skater and has a high hockey IQ. He won't lose that over the summer, so I don't see a slump this season. In fact, I think he improves this season by adding some offense to his game as well.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
He is one of the best pure skaters I've ever seen. He's completely effortless, which means his mobility is elite. I don't think Brodin is as fast as he was, but he reminds me of Niedermayer in his skating.

He also has extremely high level decision making. He seems to know who he's up against all the time. Is he strong enough to muscle them out? Does he need one of his seemingly prescient poke checks to bail him out of a slight positional mistake? Can he just pinch, tie up and count on Suter or one of the forwards to walk in and take the puck?

He's got a terrific first pass, too. Accurate, hard, always seems to get by the forecheck.

The kid isn't completely worthless in the offensive zone, either. A little confidence and a year or two, and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to pull 40+ points a season while being one of the best two-way defensemen out there. Probably more goals than Suter, as well. His shot is sneaky.

Combine all that, and we've got a very special player. He isn't perfect, but in my eyes, he's as close as the NHL has seen in such a young player in a very, very long time.

Will he slump? Anything is possible, but I just don't think he will. He has too many soft-skills working for him to make up for any learning curve on the hard-skills. There are too many things that he's too good at that you just can't teach. Just like pure snipers with their elite shooting, Brodin has that 6th sense in regard to turning the play the other way.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
mona-bacon.jpg

Billy Mays Here*

I'd be curious to see how he'd perform without Suter.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

He is an amazing skater like everyones said. he has an active stick, he can poke check anyone. This video will show how good of a skater he is. music sucks by the way

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
He's not the type of guy I see slumping. He's so smart and is such an incredible skater, I just don't think the way he plays is very slump-prone.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
If Brodin does slump, I expect HFWild to panic before becoming engulfed in the collective negativity of its more vocal users.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Worst case scenario: he slumps for a while this year. And then he pulls out of it.

That kid is way too much of a natural player, with way too much skill and intelligence to have his career take a long slump.

Who cares if he has a period of off play, every player does.

Of all the stuff for us to worry about, this is not it.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
He made smart simple plays. Dropped his level a bit towards the end of the season. I don't quite understand why people think he had such a succesful season... He did well for being a rookie but he's got things to improve, too.

E: Not worried about a slump, more about if he progresses or not.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
He made smart simple plays. Dropped his level a bit towards the end of the season. I don't quite understand why people think he had such a succesful season... He did well for being a rookie but he's got things to improve, too.

30ofk.gif

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

Well, he looked like a veteran out there at times, and he's very calm and poised no matter what the situation. He just looks like a guy who makes the right plays at the right time. He might not shine offensively, but he's not bad at that either. He has a very sneaky shot that seems to find its way to the net more often than not, and that's the #1 task for a point shot mind you. His stick checking is exceptional, and he is a very mobile and fluid skater, too.

Yes, he probably needs to add some 10-20lbs to be more effective physically, and yes, his skating might suffer slightly as a result, but what we have is a diamond, and not a diamond in the rough that could be polished into one, but an actual, proven diamond.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Are we talking about Jonas "Swedish Crown Jewels" Brodin?
Slump?

No sir. Diamonds are forever.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't quite understand why people think he had such a succesful season...

Because he was 19 years old at the start of the season and his experience playing on North American ice was a whopping 9 games. Look at Granlund and how terrible his season was and he's a year older. Adapting not only to the North American style of game but against some of the best hockey players in the world is difficult, especially for a 19 year old rookie.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Like I said, he played a good rookie season. I get the idea from the posts that people think he pretty much excels already in everything (except maybe offensively). He was solid for the majority of the games, showed some flashes and was very much valuable for the Wild. Maybe it's because of the poor depth of dmen. He's still a prospect in my books.

His skating and awareness on the ice can make him a special player but he's not a polished diamond, yet.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Like I said, he played a good rookie season. I get the idea from the posts that people think he pretty much excels already in everything (except maybe offensively). He was solid for the majority of the games, showed some flashes and was very much valuable for the Wild. Maybe it's because of the poor depth of dmen. He's still a prospect in my books.

His skating and awareness on the ice can make him a special player but he's not a polished diamond, yet.

he played a great rookie season. the fact that he wasn't in the slightest bit flashy and still got talked up by non-wild press and pundits should tell you you are very much in the minority in thinking he didn't look great. Usually to get that kind of buzz a rookie D will have to go on a scoring tear. I don't know how anyone who watched him more than a game or two couldn't come away with the impression that he was great. Yes, he's going to get better. Franchise.

OpRedDawn*

He is an amazing skater like everyones said. he has an active stick, he can poke check anyone. This video will show how good of a skater he is. music sucks by the way

Lol the sing fits perfectly. It's almost fits how Brodin plays the game.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
If he stays where he is. Good.

If he gets better in years to come.. well I don't know where's the limit? He might be somewhere between Teppo Numminen and Nicklas Lidström.

Or above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad