Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
if jt confirms that he's not returning to the isles then offer brisson/jt the opportunity to talk with other teams earlier than the window allowed via cba and maybe brisson could broker a sign and trade deal that the isles could live with .

whats in it for the other team ? -- the 8th year could help reduce the cap hit by stretching contract over 8 instead of 7 and perhaps the opportunity to unload a player for cap reasons that the isles could use .

obviously whatever return the isles could parlay would be anywhere from laughable to half decent but at that point , it is what it is .

Absolutely 0% chance of this happening. The only scenario this would benefit is the Islanders. It's a fantasy to think this is in anyway realistic.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Absolutely 0% chance of this happening. The only scenario this would benefit is the Islanders. It's a fantasy to think this is in anyway realistic.

Not true.

Tavares benefits because he gets the 8 year deal he could only get from the Islanders

The other team benefits by getting Tavares for eight years and potentially offloading salary to fit Tavares under the cap while avoiding what could become an expensive bidding war

The Islanders get something rather than nothing

ZMan17

LGI
Nov 20, 2010
Tel Aviv
My biggest hope is that there would be some sort of cut-off date in June where, if he hasn't committed to re-signing, we can at least trade his rights for something in return. Better than losing him for nothing when he walks on July 1st.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
The whole plan all along was let JT hear other offers and hope he comes back. No point in trading him for a second rounder now. The isles went this far and turned down four first round picks for him a year ago. That's what first line all star players of his talent are worth. Especially if you trade him to the team he wants to sign with. Now? The picks are gone foget about it.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The whole plan all along was let JT hear other offers and hope he comes back. No point in trading him for a second rounder now. The isles went this far and turned down four first round picks for him a year ago. That's what first line all star players of his talent are worth. Especially if you trade him to the team he wants to sign with. Now? The picks are gone foget about it.

Where did you see they turned down four first rounders for him?

Knoxville555

Mar 30, 2012
isles should trade his rights in return for Brian Strait. Anything else would be detrimental to the franchise

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Where did you see they turned down four first rounders for him?
That's a general example of his value in a trade a year ago if being traded to the team of his choice assuming they want him and he would sign a contract. Even being traded to any team not on his no trade list would be worth equivilant of three first rounders. These are probably low estimates. JT has no ongoing medical issues. Even Crosby can probably get three or four first rounders today and he's older than JT.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
That's a general example of his value in a trade a year ago if being traded to the team of his choice assuming they want him and he would sign a contract. Even being traded to any team not on his no trade list would be worth equivilant of three first rounders. These are probably low estimates. JT has no ongoing medical issues. Even Crosby can probably get three or four first rounders today and he's older than JT.

I love JT, but lets be real Crosby is twice the player JT is. Crosby is signed long term and doesn't show signs of slowing down. Last year JT could have garnered 2-3 blue chip pieces and some middling piece/pieces. I was open to trading JT last year the moment he didn't sign a contract extension. Similarly so, I am open to trading Lee and Eberle if they don't sign a contract this offseason.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
My biggest hope is that there would be some sort of cut-off date in June where, if he hasn't committed to re-signing, we can at least trade his rights for something in return. Better than losing him for nothing when he walks on July 1st.

This is exactly the philosophy the Isles should've had in January of this year in regards to the trade deadline.

The time for getting anything valuable for Tavares is GONE. Even with a sign and trade the Isles would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick and/or a middling prospect.

The ball has been dropped here. Completely. We're just sifting through the rubble at this point.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I love JT, but lets be real Crosby is twice the player JT is. Crosby is signed long term and doesn't show signs of slowing down. Last year JT could have garnered 2-3 blue chip pieces and some middling piece/pieces. I was open to trading JT last year the moment he didn't sign a contract extension. Similarly so, I am open to trading Lee and Eberle if they don't sign a contract this offseason.

#ForwardThinking

Reactions: WangMustGo

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
This is exactly the philosophy the Isles should've had in January of this year in regards to the trade deadline.

The time for getting anything valuable for Tavares is GONE. Even with a sign and trade the Isles would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick and/or a middling prospect.

The ball has been dropped here. Completely. We're just sifting through the rubble at this point.

Exactly, at this point JT has no reason to do a sign and trade. The Isles are the only team that can give him 8 years. JT may as well see what offers he gets on 7/1, and decide from there. At this point we can only hope JT resigns, but I'd give it a 5% chance of that happening.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Exactly, at this point JT has no reason to do a sign and trade. The Isles are the only team that can give him 8 years. JT may as well see what offers he gets on 7/1, and decide from there. At this point we can only hope JT resigns, but I'd give it a 5% chance of that happening.

And thus...

The Isles should've given Tavares' camp deadline to resign BEFORE the trade deadline.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I'll take the blame for JT's departure. Six years ago, my thought was that the most important players on this team were John Tavares, Travis Hamonic, and Matt Martin. We'll just lose them in successive years in reverse order. Sorry guys, my fault. I don't know why I didn't put Josh Bailey on that list.

scott99

May 13, 2005
And thus...

The Isles should've given Tavares' camp deadline to resign BEFORE the trade deadline.
Agree 100%. If you remember what the Rangers got for Rick Nash, imagine what the Isles could’ve gotten for Tavares, even with a shitty GM (which we have). I love JT, one of my 5 favorite isles of alltime. But he handicapped the Isles big time. And Snow screwed up by not playing hardball with JT.

The Rangers are rebuilding and have so much capital by being smart with their pending UFAs by trading them. And getting excellent returns. Snow has a history of being clueless when it comes to this situation. Jason Blake, Kyle Okposo, Frans Nielsen were top players at that point in their careers, and EVERYONE knew the Isles wouldn’t/couldn’t resign them, and they walked away scott free, when they could’ve probably gotten good to very good returns. Yet Snow sat on his hands and watched them walk away for absolutely nothing, just like Tavares will.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
If Vegas or Tampa win the cup I don't see JT going to them. It makes him look weak going to the cup winner. He can go to Pittsburgh now although it looks a little weak. I think Chicago could happen. Cap room will magically appearear when needed. I wouldn't leave NYC to go play for a small time team like San Jose or St Louis. If I'm leaving I'm going to the rangers Penn's or Chicago...maybe Boston.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
What does this contribute to the conversation?

This season, the Isles fan base has been like a large glacier being affected by warming temperatures. The cracks started to appear last summer. At first, the fringe of small pieces of ice started falling off, careening helplessly into the open sea, laden with wild fan theories and rambling, unhinged letters to the owners. Now that we're heading closer to the end date, big chunks of the fan base are splitting off, each burdened by the weight of its own coping mechanism.

We got the "He was never good anyway/can't lead a team/crumbles under the pressure" chunk. The "We can still trade/sign and trade him for a bunch of good stuff!" chunk, the "We sucked with him, gonna suck without him/shoulda traded him at the deadline" chunk, the self-loathing "I hope he has a good career in Montreal/Tampa/Vegas/San Jose/wherever" chunk and the angry "He can go f'himself/Captain CYA/he owes us" chunk. What else am I missing?

It's really fascinating. Myself, I'm teetering off with the "I'm just gonna look away and hope for the best" chunk. See you in the drink.

Reactions: sabremike

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This season, the Isles fan base has been like a large glacier being affected by warming temperatures. The cracks started to appear last summer. At first, the fringe of small pieces of ice started falling off, careening helplessly into the open sea, laden with wild fan theories and rambling, unhinged letters to the owners. Now that we're heading closer to the end date, big chunks of the fan base are splitting off, each burdened by the weight of its own coping mechanism.

We got the "He was never good anyway/can't lead a team/crumbles under the pressure" chunk. The "We can still trade/sign and trade him for a bunch of good stuff!" chunk, the "We sucked with him, gonna suck without him/shoulda traded him at the deadline" chunk, the self-loathing "I hope he has a good career in Montreal/Tampa/Vegas/San Jose/wherever" chunk and the angry "He can go f'himself/Captain CYA/he owes us" chunk. What else am I missing?

It's really fascinating. Myself, I'm teetering off with the "I'm just gonna look away and hope for the best" chunk. See you in the drink.

I think the only one your forgetting is the “Can you blame him for leaving!?” crew.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
If Vegas or Tampa win the cup I don't see JT going to them. It makes him look weak going to the cup winner. He can go to Pittsburgh now although it looks a little weak. I think Chicago could happen. Cap room will magically appearear when needed. I wouldn't leave NYC to go play for a small time team like San Jose or St Louis. If I'm leaving I'm going to the rangers Penn's or Chicago...maybe Boston.

What about the Colorado Avalanche? Let J.T come play for the Avalanche. Jost needs a player like Tavares.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
not really - it actually gets more teams involved in the process & would create quite the buzz and maybe a bit of a bidding war between the extremely serious suiters that Brisson/JT would agree to be traded to via a sign and trade

what do the isles have to lose if JT flat out tells them in the near future that he's not returning ?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
not really - it actually gets more teams involved in the process & would create quite the buzz and maybe a bit of a bidding war between the extremely serious suiters that Brisson/JT would agree to be traded to via a sign and trade

what do the isles have to lose if JT flat out tells them in the near future that he's not returning ?

Really dude? Do you think there are GM's out there as stupid as Garth Snow. You need to forget about the fact that you are an Islander's fan and look at the logic about what you are saying. The ONLY incentive in a sign and trade is for Tavares to get 8 years instead of 7. Not exactly a game-breaking incentive. Secondly, teams only trade draft picks for negotiating rights. They aren't going to give up roster pieces to do a sign and trade when they can just wait another week. Lastly, trades fall apart all the time, if a player really doesn't want to stay with a team he'd be idiotic to do a sign and trade because you never know what we'll happen and a deal fall through. History is on my side, when was the last sign and trade in the NHL? Good luck with that google search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad