Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Something to think about in regards to the player JT is and isn't: in his entire 9 year career he has never played for a real bona fide NHL coach. The closest to that he ever got was Cappy and I think that says it all. Can you imagine just how good he would be (and could be) if he ever played for a real coach?
I don't think a different coach would make JT "better." A good coach can certainly make the TEAM better but I think JT will be JT no matter what. I just don't see how Capuano or Weight held him back at all.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Something to think about in regards to the player JT is and isn't: in his entire 9 year career he has never played for a real bona fide NHL coach. The closest to that he ever got was Cappy and I think that says it all. Can you imagine just how good he would be (and could be) if he ever played for a real coach?

Could he even handle a real coach at this juncture?:)

In any case, this situation is solely the doing of our esteemed GM.

No-one else...

And yes, the desire to play for someone who wasn't in the midst of his first ever NHL coaching gig could also be a factor in Faceofthefranchise's decision.

Like no-duh:sarcasm:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
if jt confirms that he's not returning to the isles then offer brisson/jt the opportunity to talk with other teams earlier than the window allowed via cba and maybe brisson could broker a sign and trade deal that the isles could live with .

whats in it for the other team ? -- the 8th year could help reduce the cap hit by stretching contract over 8 instead of 7 and perhaps the opportunity to unload a player for cap reasons that the isles could use .

obviously whatever return the isles could parlay would be anywhere from laughable to half decent but at that point , it is what it is .

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't think a different coach would make JT "better." A good coach can certainly make the TEAM better but I think JT will be JT no matter what. I just don't see how Capuano or Weight held him back at all.
A good coach can absolutely make a player better. A good coach would've worked with JT to get rid of his flaws and worst impulses (which are documented in like every game thread on this board for the past 9 years). People bag on him defensively but I think he clearly has the tools to be very good in that regard and I think good coaching would've developed and brought that out of him.

Reactions: periferal

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
A good coach can absolutely make a player better. A good coach would've worked with JT to get rid of his flaws and worst impulses (which are documented in like every game thread on this board for the past 9 years). People bag on him defensively but I think he clearly has the tools to be very good in that regard and I think good coaching would've developed and brought that out of him.
Meh, I dunno. You're right I suppose but when I look at JT's career the last thing I think of is "man, that guy can use better coaching." He's been terrific and dramatically improved his skating and has developed into 2-way player. And is even one of our better PKers.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
My money is on Vegas. George McPhee was liked and respected by the players while he was here and I think that will play into it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My money is on Vegas. George McPhee was liked and respected by the players while he was here and I think that will play into it.
My money is on Ray Shero swooping in and making JT a NJ Devil. That is a team that is not far from being a Cup threat.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My money is on Ray Shero swooping in and making JT a NJ Devil. That is a team that is not far from being a Cup threat.
You are aware that in like a year or two they are going to have to pay the odds on Hart favorite huge money right? And around that time Nico's ELC expires as well.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Sirius XM Russo and O'Sullivan were just speculating that this may happen. They also thought there is a chance of an 8 year sign and trade with a team of JT's liking, with Isles getting a solid player back as the team getting JT would need to shed dollars to make it work. Hmm.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lee sounding MUCH less confident than last summer where he all but guaranteed JT would re-sign.

Yeah, first thing I noticed. Not just Lee, but the overall tone from the other Islanders players seems to have gone from "I have no doubts he'll re-sign" to "Johnny's earned the right to do what he feels is best for him".

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Sirius XM Russo and O'Sullivan were just speculating that this may happen. They also thought there is a chance of an 8 year sign and trade with a team of JT's liking, with Isles getting a solid player back as the team getting JT would need to shed dollars to make it work. Hmm.

Are these guys somehow credible sources?

I don't think anyone knows what's going on outside of JT, Brisson, and maybe Malkin/Ledecky/snow (not exactly people who like to share information).

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Are these guys somehow credible sources?

I don't think anyone knows what's going on outside of JT, Brisson, and maybe Malkin/Ledecky/snow (not exactly people who like to share information).
Don't think they are necessarily in the know, but they do have lots of media and team connections. Who knows...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You are aware that in like a year or two they are going to have to pay the odds on Hart favorite huge money right? And around that time Nico's ELC expires as well.
Good GMs find a way to pay players properly and give them the proper term all while managing the cap.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Good GMs find a way to pay players properly and give them the proper term all while managing the cap.
If he can spend $30+ million on 3 players (and don't forget the $6 million or so Schneider is getting long term) and build a credible roster with the cap space he has left walking across the Hudson would be an anti climax. Also there's the thing about JT not striking me as the guy who would rub salt in the wound by signing with one of the Isles bitter rivals.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Don't think they are necessarily in the know, but they do have lots of media and team connections. Who knows...

No one can say if Tavares had made his decision on what he wants to do so I find it hard to believe most anyone.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
John Tavares just might be the best player ever to be shrouded in such mystery; no one knew for sure where he was going on draft day 2009, and no one knows for sure exactly where he's going in unrestricted free agency in 2018.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
John Tavares just might be the best player ever to be shrouded in such mystery; no one knew for sure where he was going on draft day 2009, and no one knows for sure exactly where he's going in unrestricted free agency in 2018.

Lebron James had his own TV show to reveal his choice .
Maybe the Isles could set something up with the Gong Show set. JT reveals then the giant cane comes out and hooks Garth and Doug then pulls them off stage. I'd even pay the $8.50. Would be better than the draft party.

Reactions: TavHoSang

SI

Feb 16, 2013

I still it is unlikely, but if that team were say Montreal - they would definitely need to move salary and I can see Galchenyuk being the player moving the other way.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I still it is unlikely, but if that team were say Montreal - they would definitely need to move salary and I can see Galchenyuk being the player moving the other way.

1. He isn't signing with Montreal

2. Galchenyuk is a LW, we don't need more left wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad