Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You can call whatever you want. I say he was afraid to use the 2 picks when he should have and it was the JT situation that froze him.

Thank GOD he didn't use those two picks!

That the most correct thing he did all season!!!

Because you never, ever, ever, ever trade first rounders in a strong draft to try and save ONE season, much less when the biggest problem and preventer of success is actually the amateur and overwhelmed guy right behind the bench!

They could have brought in Holtby, Karlsson AND OEL and it wouldn't have changed a gosh darn thing, because it was the system (or utter lack thereof) being used that was holding this team back the entire time.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If you want to be a Cup contender you should go into the season with basically all the pieces you need, and anything you do during the season should be to put you over the top - Not fill glaring holes. Unfortunately we have a GM that cannot fill in the glaring holes for a decade plus now.

A thought I concur with 100% - wish I could put it that eloquently!

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I would have to think that brining in Lou would increase the chances of it "working out" for him.

If it doesn't, I would begin to question Tavares's mental state...
Mental state?

Last I checked Lou isn't capable of parting the seas, nor able to walk on water.

Lets be honest here shall we? It's not like the Isles have been one of the best run pro sports franchises here in N.America.

I'd question Tavares' mental state if he stayed in Long Island.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Mental state?

Last I checked Lou isn't capable of parting the seas, nor able to walk on water.

Lets be honest here shall we? It's not like the Isles have been one of the best run pro sports franchises here in N.America.

My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, although you wouldn’t have known that.

Anyway, Tavares has preached all year that he enjoys being an Islander, living on Long Island, want to win on Long Island, and has said he hopes “everything works out” and he’s back.

My comment was really referring to bringing in a GM who can lay out and actually execute a plan to take this team to the next step.

Based off of what Lou has done in Toronto with 1/4th of the time Snow has had here, I would think that would be enticing enough for Tavares from a “Can we win in the future?” aspect, which I feel is the last major hurdle for Tavares to sign here (again, this is assuming you are taking what he’s said in the media to be truthful, which I am).

No need to come over to our board, take things out of context (because you don’t know a damn thing about being an Islanders fan), and insult us. It’s simply not welcome.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Was such a smart move keeping him past the deadline.

The funny thing is if he really loved the islanders so much and wanted to play here he could have always re-signed July first and the franchise would be in a bit better shape from what ever the return on his trade would have been.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

The funny thing is if he really loved the islanders so much and wanted to play here he could have always re-signed July first and the franchise would be in a bit better shape from what ever the return on his trade would have been.

I think most people would have been very disappointed in what the return would have been for him in any trade. Nobody was giving up much for 2-3 months, especially given how poor he had been playing the previous couple months leading up to then

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Mental state?

ON Long Island

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

Eh. I think if we traded the guy, the possibility of him returning would be 0%. Though right now I'm not sure he's gonna be back without trading him... f*** this team, really.

I think most people would have been very disappointed in what the return would have been for him in any trade. Nobody was giving up much for 2-3 months, especially given how poor he had been playing the previous couple months leading up to then

Uhm, sorry? Have you seen what was going on at the trade deadline? Tavares' price would be up in the sky and a few teams would pay it wihout questioning anything.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't really believe that, but it makes you feel better if the Isles do lose Tavares for nothing on July 1.

Because if you do really believe that...

Reactions: WangMustGo

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

He’s still the type of player that can put a team over the top. In any trade involving Tavares at the deadline of course we lose the best player but I honestly believe teams would have went nuts at the chance to trade for him. Even if it were just a 1st + young player/prospect that’s still better than nothing.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
jT coould of returned a Barzal type in July. His trade value if sent to a team he would sign with would of been four first round picks. Barzal today is probably worth four first rounders. The fact that the isles didn't do exactly that is the same reason they have been horrible for thirty years. Incompetent owners and horrible hockey front office.

Reactions: WangMustGo

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Haven't written him off yet. But if he leaves, we pretty much know why. It will be a real shame bc I don't even think his standard is a perennial Cup contender (e.g. Pens), rather a team that vies for a middle PO spot, with an outside chance at the Cup occassionally (I surmise, that is)--sorta like SJ or the Wild of the East.

I do believe that LL's presence could sway him; I truly do.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
jT coould of returned a Barzal type in July. His trade value if sent to a team he would sign with would of been four first round picks. Barzal today is probably worth four first rounders. The fact that the isles didn't do exactly that is the same reason they have been horrible for thirty years. Incompetent owners and horrible hockey front office.

Jason Blake, Okposo, Nielsen all let go for nothing, soon Tavares, Dehaan, Eberle, and Lee will join that list.

The reality of it is that Snow and Co wasted the best years of a franchise player by doing nothing to improve the team around him. Finally 9 years later we get our second superstar in Barzal. Now Tavares will walk (and should walk) and this team will be left with nothing to show for it.

I fear Barzal will face the same fate that JT has faced.

I genuinely think Tavares would have signed last year if we had given him a reason to stay, he has been the only hope this franchise has had in 20 years. Now Barzal will be the lone hope. I hope JT stays, but I think he's long gone.

Reactions: FMichael

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Haven't written him off yet. But if he leaves, we pretty much know why. It will be a real shame bc I don't even think his standard is a perennial Cup contender (e.g. Pens), rather a team that vies for a middle PO spot, with an outside chance at the Cup occassionally (I surmise, that is)--sorta like SJ or the Wild of the East.

I do believe that LL's presence could sway him; I truly do.

If LL is coming (big IF) and he hires a good coach AND makes a huge move at the draft I think JT may stay, but that's a lot of IF's. Maybe a move for a #1 defenseman and signing Kovalchuk would be the moves JT is looking for. I don't see it happening.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Something to think about in regards to the player JT is and isn't: in his entire 9 year career he has never played for a real bona fide NHL coach. The closest to that he ever got was Cappy and I think that says it all. Can you imagine just how good he would be (and could be) if he ever played for a real coach?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Something to think about in regards to the player JT is and isn't: in his entire 9 year career he has never played for a real bona fide NHL coach. The closest to that he ever got was Cappy and I think that says it all. Can you imagine just how good he would be (and could be) if he ever played for a real coach?
Well if he signed with Detroit this summer - that streak would continue...

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Don't make me vomit.

Why I was calling for capuano's head after his first full year. That guy was a putz and I wanted to see all the young guys (at the time) play under a legit coach to see what we had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad