Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If Vegas or Tampa win the cup I don't see JT going to them. It makes him look weak going to the cup winner. He can go to Pittsburgh now although it looks a little weak. I think Chicago could happen. Cap room will magically appearear when needed. I wouldn't leave NYC to go play for a small time team like San Jose or St Louis. If I'm leaving I'm going to the rangers Penn's or Chicago...maybe Boston.

Right, because everybody who goes to a Micheline star restauarant, rents a the grammy winning movie, buys the platinum album, and buys the best cellphone is weak. Do you even read what you write?
Aron Judge was an all-star, you are weak for even being a fan of his....

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not true.

Tavares benefits because he gets the 8 year deal he could only get from the Islanders

The other team benefits by getting Tavares for eight years and potentially offloading salary to fit Tavares under the cap while avoiding what could become an expensive bidding war

The Islanders get something rather than nothing

LMAO, the team trading gets the benefit of losing a player to sign a guy that would be a free agent anyway....and if JT is agreeing to a sign and trade there is already going to be a bidding war. I really don't understand the rose-colored glasses of some people. It's hilarious. Again, show me the last sign and trade in the NHL...i'll wait.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
LMAO, the team trading gets the benefit of losing a player to sign a guy that would be a free agent anyway....and if JT is agreeing to a sign and trade there is already going to be a bidding war. I really don't understand the rose-colored glasses of some people. It's hilarious. Again, show me the last sign and trade in the NHL...i'll wait.

Ummm... what? We're not talking here (I hope so) about a sign and trade where JT says "I'm gonna sign this and you guys trade me", we're talking more about "Look, this is the team I want to sign with, they're open to do a sign and trade, I want to get 8 years, so be a darling and sign here and here, you're gonna get a draft pick for the trouble!". I don't see a possibility of a bidding war if Tavares agrees to do a sign and trade, since I doubt he would leave the decision of where he lives and plays for the next 8 years to Garth Snow or the Islanders.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I’m not saying it’s going to or likely to happen, BUT to say only the Islanders benefit is patently false.

Even if you think the other team DOESNT benefit, Tavares gets the 8th year and the Islanders get a pick or whatnot. Ergo both Tavares and the Islanders benefit.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I’m not saying it’s going to or likely to happen, BUT to say only the Islanders benefit is patently false.

Even if you think the other team DOESNT benefit, Tavares gets the 8th year and the Islanders get a pick or whatnot. Ergo both Tavares and the Islanders benefit.
Not only that, but it allows teams to gain cap space by trading a player, so that they can both afford JT and give him an 8th year. The added competition in such a scenario could bring a better player to the Isles than first thought, and possibly allow a team that otherwise would not be in the JT sweepstakes, to have a shot. Especially if it is a team that JT wants to go to.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Right, because everybody who goes to a Micheline star restauarant, rents a the grammy winning movie, buys the platinum album, and buys the best cellphone is weak. Do you even read what you write?
I may be wrong here but I don't think being the hockey version of Kevin Durant (hop on the bandwagon of a team that has already won) holds much appeal for JT.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
You love my writing. I can send even better material directly to you for a monthly subscription.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I may be wrong here but I don't think being the hockey version of Kevin Durant (hop on the bandwagon of a team that has already won) holds much appeal for JT.
Exactly. JT wants to win. But I don't think he wants to be arod. Nobody cares about arod or that Yankee team. The 86 Mets...people care about. The 96 Yankees they remember.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I'm sure he won't base his decision solely on that, but are you really going to think he's "weak" if he chooses to sign with Las Vegas or Tampa...especially the former? [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Ummm... what? We're not talking here (I hope so) about a sign and trade where JT says "I'm gonna sign this and you guys trade me", we're talking more about "Look, this is the team I want to sign with, they're open to do a sign and trade, I want to get 8 years, so be a darling and sign here and here, you're gonna get a draft pick for the trouble!". I don't see a possibility of a bidding war if Tavares agrees to do a sign and trade, since I doubt he would leave the decision of where he lives and plays for the next 8 years to Garth Snow or the Islanders.

Obviously I know what a sign and trade is....or maybe I dont' because they just don't happen anymore. But hey, let's keep discussing it like it's normal operating procedure.

I'm going to start a new post , "JT is going to sign for $1 and play for free". So what if it never happens, doesn't mean it's not possible.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I mentioned in another post that the only incentive for JT is that extra year, and I mentioned I think it's a marginal incentive. Joe Thornton signed a 1 year 8 million contract after his contract expired. JT may still be able to do the same so I don't think he's worried about that 8th year.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Obviously I know what a sign and trade is....or maybe I dont' because they just don't happen anymore. But hey, let's keep discussing it like it's normal operating procedure.

I'm going to start a new post , "JT is going to sign for $1 and play for free". So what if it never happens, doesn't mean it's not possible.

yeah , I think you kinda made your point a few times already so .....we get it man .

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

The minimum NHL salary for 2018/19 season is $650,000.
So no, it is not possible

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm sure he won't base his decision solely on that, but are you really going to think he's "weak" if he chooses to sign with Las Vegas or Tampa...especially the former? [mod]
I wasn't the one who said that. I just honestly think there's an amount of personal pride for him where he'd want to be THE guy to lead a team to the cup to validate him being an all time great. It's one of the reasons why I think there is a chance he stays: he doesn't want to accept that in his mind he failed here (and from what I know about him he would consider not winning anything here a failure that he would take personally).

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

Lay off what you're drinking, dude. I guess it's tequilla, with all the salt... A sign and trade isn't very likely, but it's far from the weirdest thing that was said in this thread.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Reactions: Sparksrus3

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
not really - it actually gets more teams involved in the process & would create quite the buzz and maybe a bit of a bidding war between the extremely serious suiters that Brisson/JT would agree to be traded to via a sign and trade

what do the isles have to lose if JT flat out tells them in the near future that he's not returning ?

(stops banging head against wall)

Why can't people understand that the reason why a sign and trade is basically not an option is because it requires Tavares to WANT to play for the team he's being "traded" to. Once he makes his decision on where he wants to go I guarantee he'll really want to go to one team over any others, but there can't be more than 3-4.

This in comparison to the option of trading Tavares BEFORE the trade deadline when he could only name 8 teams on his "no-trade" list and thus the Isles could get up to 22 other teams in a bidding war for Tavares...When he was also only earning a pro-rated share of 5.5M, as opposed to the approximately 12 million cap hit he's going to have starting this season.

Oh and snow/the Isles executing a sign and trade basically is fully admitting they failed with Tavares and have to head home tails between their legs with only the scraps from Longshank's plate. Malkin may dictate it, but you think snow is going to sign off on that move? No chance.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Just heard that JT is gunna sign with Vegas -- he wants to go to a team who has a great Coach and GM.

Reactions: bigd

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
"The aspect that doesn’t seem to be in question is the actual contract. Per the collective bargaining agreement, the Islanders are the only team that can offer an eight-year deal. If he hit free agency, the most that could be offered would be seven. That is, unless the Islanders can somehow trade him before July 1 — a unlikely proposition because no team would trade for him unless they knew they could sign him, and if a team knows they can sign him on July 1, why trade away any assets?"

https://nypost.com/2018/05/20/john-tavares-in-position-to-let-islanders-anxiety-keep-growing/

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
"The aspect that doesn’t seem to be in question is the actual contract. Per the collective bargaining agreement, the Islanders are the only team that can offer an eight-year deal. If he hit free agency, the most that could be offered would be seven. That is, unless the Islanders can somehow trade him before July 1 — a unlikely proposition because no team would trade for him unless they knew they could sign him, and if a team knows they can sign him on July 1, why trade away any assets?"

https://nypost.com/2018/05/20/john-tavares-in-position-to-let-islanders-anxiety-keep-growing/

It makes sense to make a trade since you’d have no one else to compete with, but that’s literally the only way it makes sense and a return will be very limited.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It makes sense to make a trade since you’d have no one else to compete with, but that’s literally the only way it makes sense and a return will be very limited.

I think once the Isles let the trade deadline go, it became "sign Tavares or lose him for nothing." I think any return for JT on a sign and trade would be along the lines of "Vanek return," and in addition to taking back barely anything you'd be admitting you totally effed up the process.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
(stops banging head against wall)

Why can't people understand that the reason why a sign and trade is basically not an option is because it requires Tavares to WANT to play for the team he's being "traded" to. Once he makes his decision on where he wants to go I guarantee he'll really want to go to one team over any others, but there can't be more than 3-4.

This in comparison to the option of trading Tavares BEFORE the trade deadline when he could only name 8 teams on his "no-trade" list and thus the Isles could get up to 22 other teams in a bidding war for Tavares...When he was also only earning a pro-rated share of 5.5M, as opposed to the approximately 12 million cap hit he's going to have starting this season.

Oh and snow/the Isles executing a sign and trade basically is fully admitting they failed with Tavares and have to head home tails between their legs with only the scraps from Longshank's plate. Malkin may dictate it, but you think snow is going to sign off on that move? No chance.

I totally get the the odds of a sign and trade happening are pretty slim & I'm pretty sure that I also stated the return would be underwhelming / half decent depending on the circumstance the other team would be in . Kudos to you for disagreeing with me in a respectful manner though .

pretty sure we all want the same thing ; JT staying with us and Lou Lams / Dean Lombardi freshening the air of the isles head office

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I totally get the the odds of a sign and trade happening are pretty slim & I'm pretty sure that I also stated the return would be underwhelming / half decent depending on the circumstance the other team would be in . Kudos to you for disagreeing with me in a respectful manner though .

pretty sure we all want the same thing ; JT staying with us and Lou Lams / Dean Lombardi freshening the air of the isles head office

Hey Isles72...

I'm past exasperation point with this franchise. 30 years as a fan and I basically have David Volek on one side...And everything else on the other.

My one hope going forward is that as many Isles fans as possible get on the same page and hold ownership accountable. To me we shouldn't even be discussing a sign and trade. A sign and trade is an admission of failure - That they completely misjudged the JT situation and the further embarrassment to our franchise to now have to settle for peanuts for him. I'd rather Malkin/Ledecky/snow choke on the fact that once again...They didn't get the job done, and we should all be furious at them for it.

And even if Tavares resigns the fact that it has come to this is also another failure by wang/Ledecky/Malkin/snow for not building a winner earlier that Tavares would have been more excited to resign with previously. And even if JT wanted to get to FA, then personally I would have traded him before the deadline as no one is above the franchise and it's not ok to risk losing JT for nothing - Not even if there's 1% risk.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Hey Isles72...

I'm past exasperation point with this franchise. 30 years as a fan and I basically have David Volek on one side...And everything else on the other.

My one hope going forward is that as many Isles fans as possible get on the same page and hold ownership accountable. To me we shouldn't even be discussing a sign and trade. A sign and trade is an admission of failure - That they completely misjudged the JT situation and the further embarrassment to our franchise to now have to settle for peanuts for him. I'd rather Malkin/Ledecky/snow choke on the fact that once again...They didn't get the job done, and we should all be furious at them for it.

And even if Tavares resigns the fact that it has come to this is also another failure by wang/Ledecky/Malkin/snow for not building a winner earlier that Tavares would have been more excited to resign with previously. And even if JT wanted to get to FA, then personally I would have traded him before the deadline as no one is above the franchise and it's not ok to risk losing JT for nothing - Not even if there's 1% risk.

So if they Isles were 99% sure that JT would re-sign, they still should've traded him. Got it.

:loony:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad