Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I would lose all respect for him. Going for a paycheck instead of a winner.

Maybe he's just crazy loyal, enough to stay? Who knows what's going on in his mind. Because if he would stay for 9/10 millions per year you really couldn't say he's going for a paycheck.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
That's 12.5 million a year, I want him to stay contrary to what many think here but that's way to much. His play hasn't warrant that kind of pay day. Could you imagine having be forced to trade Barzal cause of that contract, you just can't do that...

I'm not saying that's what I want him to sign for, but I think he'll get at least McDavid money. I'd like to see him at 10.5-11.5. Barzal has another 2 years on his ELC. Snow/Snow's replacement can get rid of Clutterbuck and/or Ladd in that time to easily keep both Tavares and Barzal.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I really don't want Tavares to leave, and this would undoubtedly set us back if he did. I just want to see Brian Compton's reaction and him still saying that trading Tavares is "the worst idea ever".. I don't know how anyone could think that, and it got me so annoyed every time he would say that

Compton isn't and wasn't wrong. He just ignored how stupid the GM is and overestimated the roster.

I suggested dealing Tavares even though it was a stupid idea. It becomes "less stupid" though, if you can't win with him (not because of him, but because there's no supporting cast, no defense, no goaltending) AND a near-cap team with players locked-up to long term deals who SUCK. If you look at the trading of Tavares in isolation it's idiotic - but having him walk away is SUPER-idiotic.

I would NOT have dealt him. And it's naïve to think I wouldn't have signed Ladd or CC/CC/Boychuk to those deals or let Okposo/Nielsen/Martin walk - let's move past that. Based on where the team is now, it still makes sense to keep Tavares. He's a superstar who makes those around him better, who allows Barzal to play in a support role and flourish/develop, same for Beau/Bellows/Ho-Sang and everyone else. Makes sense to shed other players than to lose a superstar that you cannot replace.

And it's too late now, anyway.

Gotta sign him.

the article is saying if JT signs dougie and snow keep their jobs. He is probably correct in that asumption. Another 3..4...5 years of ledecky wang snow JT and weight? Oh my please leave JT PLEASE

This is stupid speculation - how the hell can anyone suggest that a PLAYER has any say with ownership on who coaches, who runs the team?! It's completely absurd. Don't be so irrational as to believe the speculation and jump to a conclusion that somehow Tavares walking away is anything but a horrific move for this team. Please.

It was reported by John Shannon that Tavares (and Brisson) will meet with the owner (Malkin the money-man) after the season AND they'd articulate their plan to Garth before the draft. And just because it was reported, doesn't make it true, but it's plausible and realistic, no? Speculating on who Tavares wants the GM to be is completely absurd. He's a hockey player, not a corporate manipulator making a power play for running the team his way - so ridiculous.

I don't get why there needs to be pointless speculation, what does it really matter? This is SO SIMPLE.

He's a UFA, about to sign the biggest contract of his life. He wants to play for a winner. If it's not on Long Island, then it's somewhere else. If he wants to hear from other organizations before he makes a decision then it's after July 1st - totally HIS RIGHT.

No guarantees.

Simple.

Last edited:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I would lose all respect for him. Going for a paycheck instead of a winner.

The paycheck will come either way.

I don't think "losing respect" is fair (and I don't mean in a personal way because I don't think that's how you meant it) but let's say he's faced with these three options (of course there will be more), but to keep it simple:

1) re-sign with Isles for 8 yrs at 11 - 88mill
- meets with Scott Malkin, assures him ownership is committed to winning, will do what he can to spend to the cap (or close) and bring in whatever it takes - GM/coach/player dev/etc. (This is still the likeliest scenario)

2) NYR or MTL offer 7yrs at 14MM - 98mill
- no closer to winning in the short tem, BUT both orig six franchises will spend to the cap and do whatever it takes. He either stays in NY area and/or to a hockey hot-bed.
(This is "taking the money" and pricing himself above what his on-ice value is, kinda making it tough to build a winner in those markets BUT he's been underpaid for so long, maybe he just takes the money - sounds pretty appealing to me)

3) TAMPA or TOR offer 7yrs at 8mill - 56mill total (extreme example)
- clearly wants to win, will take less money and enjoy the next 3-4 years which essentially guarantee playoffs and wicked on-paper teams. Both can easily fit him under the cap because they are loaded with easily movable assets and can cut payroll EASILY. And Tampa is tax free so his take-home would be pretty good
(Another scenario, more about winning than pure greed)

Frankly, if it was me, I have no idea what I'd choose.

#FirstWorldHockeyProblems ?

I'm not saying that's what I want him to sign for, but I think he'll get at least McDavid money. I'd like to see him at 10.5-11.5. Barzal has another 2 years on his ELC. Snow/Snow's replacement can get rid of Clutterbuck and/or Ladd in that time to easily keep both Tavares and Barzal.

The Rangers, Canadians would easily pay more than McDavid. No question about it.

He'll get "way above market value" because he's a 27yr old superstar centre - and those two teams are desperate for a centre and cannot ever get one.

If you look at it a different way, how much is Tavares worth relative to McDavid, that's not the same. But that's also completely unrealistic because the situation is different. And once McDavid is a UFA, he'll likely get even more - just the way things go.

Reactions: Instant

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
The Rangers, Canadians would easily pay more than McDavid. No question about it.

He'll get "way above market value" because he's a 27yr old superstar centre - and those two teams are desperate for a centre and cannot ever get one.

If you look at it a different way, how much is Tavares worth relative to McDavid, that's not the same. But that's also completely unrealistic because the situation is different. And once McDavid is a UFA, he'll likely get even more - just the way things go.

Oh I'm sure there will be some dumb teams throwing a max offer or close to it at him, and I hope it's not the Islanders.

I don't think the Rangers want to take on Tavares, there was a Twitter quote from a reporter a couple weeks ago, maybe Staple to the extent of "he's not interested and they're even less interested." I can only imagine the ridicule he would get in Montreal if he signed a huge deal and plays like he did here in the last 20 games (and he doesn't speak French!!!). My betting money right now would be on the Isles, Sharks, or Blues.

Reactions: dood

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I don't think "losing respect" is fair (and I don't mean in a personal way because I don't think that's how you meant it) but let's say he's faced with these three options (of course there will be more), but to keep it simple:

I don't negate anything you said (great post by the way), but I really missed one option there, kind of in the middle of all of these. A team like the Blues (or the Sharks?), where he can get the 10 million easily, the team is in much better shape than the Isles, the core players are there and their future (at least for the next 5-4 years) looks good. He'd still get a nice paycheck, have a much better chances of playoffs/the Cup and not have a crazy market like in MTL.

It looks like the best option to me, tbh.

(I'm saying that but still my dream would be seeing him in an Islanders' jersey for the rest of his career.)

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
In both cases.

JT= well this poor franchise has everything invested in me, they are likely f---d without me and I am guessing Snow and Weight are a goner if I am not going to re-sign, yea whatever I will re-sign, (5 minutes later) WTF have I done

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
All players say is that they want to win the Cup -- life long dream -- its what you play for -- its what he's been working for his entire life...

right?

And you are going to tell me, he feels the best shot is playing for the Islanders? The New York Islanders?

NHL's, NEW YORK ISLANDERS??

Put the money issue aside for a second because he'll get paid for life for ANY team he will sign for.

If he signs with the Isles, under the assumption and hope that he'll win a Cup.. he is completely blind to this franchise. Hey John -- if you are reading this -- I wish you the best -- but if you want to win a Stanley Cup -- sign elsewhere.. You know.. teams who actually have a mgmt who knows what they are doing.

If you sign with the Isles, you are either 1. an idiot 2. forgoing your Cup to live on Long Island 3. Blindly optimistic that the Isles will win a Cup in the near future. Good Luck my man...

Reactions: 12Dog

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
the article is saying if JT signs dougie and snow keep their jobs. He is probably correct in that asumption. Another 3..4...5 years of ledecky wang snow JT and weight? Oh my please leave JT PLEASE

The article also says:

"Other than that, however, this decision is one Tavares will make on gut instinct, on what he believes is best for his family and best for himself as a player."

Oy vey . . . happy wife, happy life could come back into play . . . :naughty:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I don't negate anything you said (great post by the way), but I really missed one option there, kind of in the middle of all of these. A team like the Blues (or the Sharks?), where he can get the 10 million easily, the team is in much better shape than the Isles, the core players are there and their future (at least for the next 5-4 years) looks good. He'd still get a nice paycheck, have a much better chances of playoffs/the Cup and not have a crazy market like in MTL.

It looks like the best option to me, tbh.

(I'm saying that but still my dream would be seeing him in an Islanders' jersey for the rest of his career.)

I've read people (insiders?) suggest STL, SJ, VGK, Nash - there are so many teams that make far more sense than the Islanders. I'd say the Islanders are the WORST fit on both sides - unfortunately, although Tavares is the worst fit on the Isles compared to other teams, the Islanders WITHOUT Tavares is far worse for them.

Dumberer and Dumberest - starring Garth Snow, Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Maybe he's just crazy loyal, enough to stay? Who knows what's going on in his mind. Because if he would stay for 9/10 millions per year you really couldn't say he's going for a paycheck.
maybe he feels that with the right coaching staff , a goalie , and two more solid defenders the team could do some damage ... i think they can ... with those changes of course

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
So they will. How it will influence people liking the Isles though? :huh:

Didnt say it would. Tho I'm REALLY tired of watching crap hockey. If JT leaves it will set us back....

well.. it will set us ALL THE WAY BACK.

AGAIN.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If I were running the Isles I would have different contingencies, Plan A, Plan B and Plan C for whatever Tavares decided to do and just have a sense of what he wanted to do well ahead of time.

The time for a plan B and C was before the season started and certainly before the trade deadline. Now there is only plan A and if it doesn't come through then well the Isles will be setback for years.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Anyone out there who is saying, "Tavares is worth this, but not that" amount of money fails to realize that he will be a better player on a better franchise. Watch what Tavares could do on the Lightning vs what he has done on the Islanders. It's not JT's fault that he's been the highest pole in the Isles tent for 9 years - Literally dragging this sorry franchise to any minimal on ice success they've had. Tavares is worth every penny he gets from any team and the Isles would be beyond lucky if he wants to stay with them.

Now if you want to debate if someone is worth their contract, start with garth snow.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Dreger on a TDL show, suggested Tavares camp will tell the isles before the draft what his intentions are. He also bought up the possibility of a sign and trade if Tavares reached an agreement with another team and wanted that 8th season on his next contract.

Dreger is one of my least favorite sources.A Canadian fanboy disguised as a member of the press.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

Video for reference

Sign and trade doesnt sound half bad but would teams really want to give up assets just for an 8th year and to save .5-1 mil a year on cap?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Video for reference

Sign and trade doesnt sound half bad but would teams really want to give up assets just for an 8th year and to save .5-1 mil a year on cap?

So a whole lot of nothing new in that video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad