Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Video for reference

Sign and trade doesnt sound half bad but would teams really want to give up assets just for an 8th year and to save .5-1 mil a year on cap?

Not to mention that there would have been a whole lot more teams in on a trade for Tavares because...

1. More teams could fit the remainder of his 2018 salary under their cap than his upcoming 8-year megadeal.
  2. In a trade snow could've sent Tavares to any team in the league minus a list of 8 that Tavares could've chosen. As a pending UFA, Tavares will probably only consider going to 2-3 teams, so the Isles have basically lost all leverage. They won't get more than a high pick in a sign & trade vs multiple high assets had they dealt him before the deadline.

For those that thought it would have been embarrassing for snow to trade Tavares before the deadline, it will be downright humiliating if they deal JT for just a draft pick.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
New or not at least he is deciding pre-draft.

Then again hes already an ******* for not having decided already, in my opinion

I don't see how he's being an asshole, but fine. Also I love how all the blame is on Tavares now. It's not like we have a guy that could say "look, John, it's your right to take as much time as you need to decide, but I have to do something, so enjoy the rest of the season in Nashville".

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Not to mention that there would have been a whole lot more teams in on a trade for Tavares because...

1. More teams could fit the remainder of his 2018 salary under their cap than his upcoming 8-year megadeal.
  2. In a trade snow could've sent Tavares to any team in the league minus a list of 8 that Tavares could've chosen. As a pending UFA, Tavares will probably only consider going to 2-3 teams, so the Isles have basically lost all leverage. They won't get more than a high pick in a sign & trade vs multiple high assets had they dealt him before the deadline.

For those that thought it would have been embarrassing for snow to trade Tavares before the deadline, it will be downright humiliating if they deal JT for just a draft pick.
I am curious if the decision not to move Tavares at the TDL came from the owners or was left to Snow to make that call.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I am curious if the decision not to move Tavares at the TDL came from the owners or was left to Snow to make that call.

Considering Snow isn't really involved in the negotiations with Tavares right now, I'd assume it wasn't his decision.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

By leaving snow in charge to this point, Ledecky/Malkin "made that call" - Directly or indirectly. The buck stops with them so they have to own every good or bad thing that happens in this organization.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Does anyone else just not care anymore? This has been beaten to death.

If he signs, I’ll be happy because I believe he’s a top 10 player in the league and we’ll have a nice 1-2 at center with Barzal.

If he doesn’t, meh - life will go on. We won shit with him, so if he goes and it means they clean house and we start over with a new GM, so be it.

Either way, I’m sick of it and just want resolution now...

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Wake me up when there is real news. This is just more speculation from the Canadian media who know nothing cause the Isles and Tavares are saying nothing. Can't wait for July 1 for this to be all over. I want him to sign but either way this will not be the death of the franchise.

Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Does anyone else just not care anymore? This has been beaten to death.

If he signs, I’ll be happy because I believe he’s a top 10 player in the league and we’ll have a nice 1-2 at center with Barzal.

If he doesn’t, meh - life will go on. We won **** with him, so if he goes and it means they clean house and we start over with a new GM, so be it.

Either way, I’m sick of it and just want resolution now...

That's literally how the Islanders get you...You go in with high expectations and they beat your hopes and dreams to a point where a franchise center could walk out the door for nothing and you don't care anymore..

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That's literally how the Islanders get you...You go in with high expectations and they beat your hopes and dreams to a point where a franchise center could walk out the door for nothing and you don't care anymore..
It’s a good business model.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I don’t care anymore because I always get depressed this time of year and stop caring.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Not going to play the video, Dreger's pulse on the Isles is by far the lowest of all insiders. He's so frustrating to listen to. I don't even think he knows who Anders Lee is.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Tsn is not following JT closely. jt wants to go UFA. listen to offers. Why would JT sign before hearing other offers unless he wasnt sure he wanted to be here but possibly the worst islander seasin in its history convinced him this is the place to be.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
JT= well this poor franchise has everything invested in me, they are likely f---d without me and I am guessing Snow and Weight are a goner if I am not going to re-sign, yea whatever I will re-sign, (5 minutes later) WTF have I done
This probably sums up JT situation best. I can envision a 1, 2 or 3 year deal. He isnt a man about $$ so he has that option that others wouldnt who are obsessed with $$.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

This is 100% accurate. Well done.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Those TSN guys have given me an idea. If we're going to just make stuff up about sign-and-trades, I'd like to throw out a possibility. Now this is not a done deal, but suppose the Isles sign Kovalchuk and then trade his rights back to the KHL for Sorokin? That could happen.

Or, the Isles could have traded JT at the deadline for picks. Then they could have signed him on July 1st. And then they could have traded him again for even more picks.

There are just so many possibilities if you totally divorce yourself from reality!

Shimmy Cocopop

Oct 26, 2017
If JT's a "weak minded loser" then what does that say about the rest of the team? Seriously, enough of this garbage. WTF is wrong with you people? JT is the ONLY glimmer of hope this franchise has had the past decade (aside from 3/4 of a season from Barzal) and you crap all over him. He's an NHL superstar. The undisputed leader and best player on the team. Yet for some fans, he's not good enough for the Islanders and want to run him out of town.

Weak minded losers indeed.

Will you keep saying that when he turns down more money from the isles and leaves to play for the maple leafs? If you find out that snow didn't trade him because he insistedi that he might stay? Would you still respect him?
He played well for us and then totally collapsed down the stretch when we needed him most . That collapse is what lead to the teams collapse.
Now after comingc the season away grea going to bail on the franchise and I'm supposed to respect that? Lmao

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Will you keep saying that when he turns down more money from the isles and leaves to play for the maple leafs? If you find out that snow didn't trade him because he insistedi that he might stay? Would you still respect him?
He played well for us and then totally collapsed down the stretch when we needed him most . That collapse is what lead to the teams collapse.
Now after comingc the season away grea going to bail on the franchise and I'm supposed to respect that? Lmao

how jaded is your thinking?

He played for this team for NINE seasons, 600+ games, has outscored the next highest player by over 260 points. He's played ALL those games vastly underpaid, even the most obtuse non-fans would acknowledge.

Turning down money to play for a LOSER the first nine years was the biggest mistake he made. Turning down money for a winner (or a remote chance at winning) is honorable. I fully expect him to take less money and sign elsewhere. I just hope fans show up at the last home game and thank him, and watch his last moment before he leaves the ice, that will tell you exactly what his intentions are.

But go ahead and look at the "down the stretch" games you defined as when the team "needed him most" and NOT at the whole body of work, and ignore that what the TEAM NEEDED most was not provided, in the past nine years (well, a hell-a-lot-more than that) - then save your criticism for where it's deserved.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Tavares should fake a stomach ache and sit the rest of the season out. Truly not worth it at this point.

Let's see Brick Nelson moved between Bailey-Lee and see how the team will do next year.

Can't wait.

Reactions: Instant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad