Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isles75

Jan 29, 2007
Long Island
If Snow is here on July 1, we have a snowballing avalanche (yes, that was clever, extremely clever). Tavares is gone. How he's gone, is a bit of a mystery right now, but he's not coming back. What COULD save him is a managerial change of high impact. Being truthful, I don't know what good GM candidate with instant clout exist, but for the sake of this team's long-term, or any, success, new management is imperative.

For those keeping score, only Bill Torrey has had a longer tenure as Islander GM than Snow. Snow is only eight years behind him right now.

Bill Torrey's first 12 years as Islanders GM: Playoffs, 10 years out of 12, 9 trips to the semi-finals(conference finals today), 5 Stanley Cup Finals trips and 4 Stanley Cup wins.

Garth Snow's first 12 years as Islanders GM: Playoffs, 4 out of 12, 1 trip into the second round.

So it's obvious, Garth Snow is the smartest guy in the room.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Also the practice facility the players spend most of their time at is located in Nassau County so living in Brooklyn would be inconvenient. That's one of the reasons they are all happy to have games at the Zombie Coliseum.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Mostly because Barclays is ****. This isn't an arena built for hockey, the owners haven't done anything to improve the ice, which is one of the worst in the league and they weren't able to build a fanbase in Brooklyn, so the most faithful fans are still deep in Long Island. It's making more sense to go where the fanbase is.

And to why not set up shop in Brooklyn and enjoy different lifestyle, well, if you have enough money, Long Island is one of the best places to live in the US. I wouldn't wanna move from a place like Garden City to Brooklyn even if someone paid me for it and I LIKE Brooklyn. As to the players, well, they have kids in school and built a life there, so I can undestand them not wanting to move.
we weren't able to build a fanbase in Brooklyn because we were a bubble team since we showed up. The only way Brooklyn was going to be a success was if they competed for a championship within 2 years of moving to Brooklyn.

Yes, Barclays is lousy place to watch the game, but that is not the reason fans don't come. Fans didn't go to NVMC and that was a great place to watch (the rest of the arena was trash, but the sight-lines were fantastic.)

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
we weren't able to build a fanbase in Brooklyn because we were a bubble team since we showed up. The only way Brooklyn was going to be a success was if they competed for a championship within 2 years of moving to Brooklyn.

Yes, Barclays is lousy place to watch the game, but that is not the reason fans don't come. Fans didn't go to NVMC and that was a great place to watch (the rest of the arena was trash, but the sight-lines were fantastic.)

This is a fact that goes widely ignored by many posters here. Let's not act like the NVMC was filled to the rafters on most nights.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If winning is a top issue and JT made his mind to join a A- contender in the summer, he will do the Isles fans and management a favor to be honest and let them know of his intention before the draft. Who they draft and if they should make any deal that day can depend on if JT stays or leaves. Two days is what they will need to prepare for the draft and potential trades.

If it is all about money then they need to have a firm decisionl for JT prior to the draft - to open the wallet for him or not and to what extent. The sooner they can do that the more time they have to prepare for the draft.

Isles needs to know 2 days or earlier prior to the entry draft if JT is going to stay or walk, as his action has serious impact on the direction of this team. Those extra draft picks they have this year and potentially lottery draft picks can be in play to improve the team either by who they draft or couple with current assests to deal for a top D or G if JT stays, but if he walks then you definitely keeps all the picks.

By the time the draft day comes, JT and his agent should have a pretty good idea of cap space on all teams potentially interested in a #1 centre and the market price for his service. He also should know well which teams he would like to play for other than Isles. Most top UFA knows already by the end of the season which teams they most likely will sign for and which to reject. It is rarely decided on the actual UFA days. The detail of the terms will be the only thing the agent and the player may have to work on at that time.

Just out of curiousity, when will NHL announce the cap increase exactly? Why they cannot do this a bit sooner preferable few days before the draft? This is a good example of how cap space can have so much impact on what happens at UFA and hence reversely what happens on the draft day if teams can have an idea about the outlook of UFA market prior to the draft. It makes the draft itself more exciting as well because more likley teams will trade the picks to improve their teams.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Something to keep in mind: last season Colorado was not only the worst team in the league, they were the worst team of the post lockout era. This season they are very likely headed to the playoffs. Point being that fortunes can change very fast in this league.

Reactions: dood

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

I don't know how that contradicts anything I've said. Is the ice shit? Yep. Is the - what's left of it anyway - fanbase mostly on LI? Yep. Is Brooklyn offering a different lifestyle than Garden City? Yep.

And please, I do remember going to NVMC, it wasn't a great place to watch, it was a ruin. And I haven't been there in years, but I can imagine it's not getting any better.

Something to keep in mind: last season Colorado was not only the worst team in the league, they were the worst team of the post lockout era. This season they are very likely headed to the playoffs. Point being that fortunes can change very fast in this league.

Oh yes, fortunes do change very fast in this league. Last year we almost got into playoffs, this year we're dead last in our division.

Nothing will change here. Not until there's a new GM that knows what he's doing and a new coach that is coach first, friend second. Tavares is an idiot if he's considering staying here. If he re-signs, that's some kind of Stockholm syndrome.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
And please, I do remember going to NVMC, it wasn't a great place to watch, it was a ruin.
From the standpoint of viewing the game, NVMC was actually the best arena in the league. The concourse, vending, and bathrooms were horrific, but once inside the bowl, it was a fantastic place to watch a game.

Reactions: Bood12

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
From the standpoint of viewing the game, NVMC was actually the best arena in the league. The concourse, vending, and bathrooms were horrific, but once inside the bowl, it was a fantastic place to watch a game.

Oh, in that sense. Sorry, didn't understand you earlier.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
yep, kind of like Wrigley, you think the Cub fans are dying for a new stadium? concourses and bathrooms are a nightmare in Wrigley, but there is no better place to watch a game.

why I am guessing this arena in Belmont is going to be a failure, because for whatever new amenities it might have it does not have the sightlines and the charm the Coliseum had, and the fans are not going to flock to it.

oh yea and I am guessing the product on the ice is going to suck as well, but even still if they are a good team I do not see them getting a packed house unless it is a Saturday or the Rangers, same as Barclays and NVMC.

but as I said, I always felt Barclays was still the best chance to grow the team, if the team is going to go to Belmont, I am guessing there is a real chance for some very dark years, even if the team is good I just do not see the fan base growing and I am guessing attendance could be a serious issue, possibly more of an issue than Barclays and NVMC.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
why I am guessing this arena in Belmont is going to be a failure, because for whatever new amenities it might have it does not have the sightlines and the charm the Coliseum had, and the fans are not going to flock to it.

oh yea and I am guessing the product on the ice is going to suck as well, but even still if they are a good team I do not see them getting a packed house unless it is a Saturday or the Rangers, same as Barclays and NVMC.

but as I said, I always felt Barclays was still the best chance to grow the team, if the team is going to go to Belmont, I am guessing there is a real chance for some very dark years, even if the team is good I just do not see the fan base growing and I am guessing attendance could be a serious issue, possibly more of an issue than Barclays and NVMC.

I was frantically looking for the ray of hope in this, and finally decided to retreat to a dark room and turn off my phone...... This glass is not half full here.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

They got rid of their "cancer" in Duchene.

Now it's time to get rid of ours in Snow...

Reactions: Eberzal

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I was frantically looking for the ray of hope in this, and finally decided to retreat to a dark room and turn off my phone...... This glass is not half full here.

I would agree that A lot of people will hate driving to belmont. I used to do that frive once a week to see a friend in bayside I hated driving in that area. that was 15 years ago and I was able to go around 3pm to avoid the rush hour. Now? give me a train to brooklyn any day over a traffic conjested ride.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If winning is a top issue and JT made his mind to join a A- contender in the summer, he will do the Isles fans and management a favor to be honest and let them know of his intention before the draft. Who they draft and if they should make any deal that day can depend on if JT stays or leaves. Two days is what they will need to prepare for the draft and potential trades.

If it is all about money then they need to have a firm decisionl for JT prior to the draft - to open the wallet for him or not and to what extent. The sooner they can do that the more time they have to prepare for the draft.

If I were running the Isles I would have different contingencies, Plan A, Plan B and Plan C for whatever Tavares decided to do and just have a sense of what he wanted to do well ahead of time.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
the article is saying if JT signs dougie and snow keep their jobs. He is probably correct in that asumption. Another 3..4...5 years of ledecky wang snow JT and weight? Oh my please leave JT PLEASE

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
I really don't want Tavares to leave, and this would undoubtedly set us back if he did. I just want to see Brian Compton's reaction and him still saying that trading Tavares is "the worst idea ever".. I don't know how anyone could think that, and it got me so annoyed every time he would say that

Reactions: periferal

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Tavares focused on finishing season, not future

Not groundbreaking stuff and of course the responses are right out of JT's Standard Media Answer School but one quote I found interesting was this:

“Certainly, over the last couple of months, when things aren’t going as well, it’s never easy, no matter what,” Tavares said. “But it’s not something I try to think about a whole lot. To me, it’s separate, the season and my contract situation. I don’t really see them going hand in hand or having an effect on one another.

So either he will resign because missing the playoffs doesn't have a negative effect on resigning. Or, his mind was already made up and this season had nothing to do with resigning.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
only reason Tavares is going to re-sign is out of guilt, I am sure if he is going to re-sign he is going to have an even bigger guilt once he does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad