Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Tsn is not following JT closely. jt wants to go UFA. listen to offers. Why would JT sign before hearing other offers unless he wasnt sure he wanted to be here but possibly the worst islander seasin in its history convinced him this is the place to be.

There is a negotiating window before July 1st - they technically cannot discuss #'s - but JT and Pat Brisson would get a good idea of who is interested. If JT and Brisson make the decision to move on from the Isles and they like team, then a deal could go down where the Isles sign JT and then flip him to the team. It could be a pick or could be a pick and possibly a player with some $ to clear space for JT.

It won't be a comfortable offseason, but in the end I believe he will resign with the Isles.

Last edited:

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
This is how Tavares stays:

1. Snow gets fired
  2. A new and qualified GM is hired, sits down with Tavares and tells him, "This franchise has let you down. I'm here to make sure that never happens again. I am going to surround you with the best players and make sure you have all you need to win a Stanley Cup here... before you're 30."
  3. Keiffer Bellows proves to be a goal scoring machine.
  4. New management gets Sorokin out of Russia and into Barclays next year.
  5. A new coach [Barry Trotts? Joel Quenville?] is hired to let the team know that it's about winning, not about trying.
  6. Defenseman who know how to cover and clear the zone are brought in.
  7. A whole bunch of other stuff.
As for Quenville, his 2nd cousin is in our system, and he has coached Andrew Ladd. Perhaps, he can bring out the best in Ladd.

Are my hopes up for any of the aforementioned items? Absolutely not!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This is how Tavares stays:

1. Snow gets fired
  2. A new and qualified GM is hired, sits down with Tavares and tells him, "This franchise has let you down. I'm here to make sure that never happens again. I am going to surround you with the best players and make sure you have all you need to win a Stanley Cup here... before you're 30."
  3. Keiffer Bellows proves to be a goal scoring machine.
  4. New management gets Sorokin out of Russia and into Barclays next year.
  5. A new coach [Barry Trotts? Joel Quenville?] is hired to let the team know that it's about winning, not about trying.
  6. Defenseman who know how to cover and clear the zone are brought in.
  7. A whole bunch of other stuff.
As for Quenville, his 2nd cousin is in our system, and he has coached Andrew Ladd. Perhaps, he can bring out the best in Ladd.

Are my hopes up for any of the aforementioned items? Absolutely not!

You do realize that Keifer Bellows cannot come in and score goals for us before JT makes a decision about staying right? I'm confused why you added that to the list....really has nothing to do with your opening statement.

Last edited:

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Does anyone else just not care anymore? This has been beaten to death.

If he signs, I’ll be happy because I believe he’s a top 10 player in the league and we’ll have a nice 1-2 at center with Barzal.

If he doesn’t, meh - life will go on. We won **** with him, so if he goes and it means they clean house and we start over with a new GM, so be it.

Either way, I’m sick of it and just want resolution now...

naa Isles pretty much have to re-sign him, I was open to trading him before the deadline as if we were going with the re-building method we could have done alot and been a pretty lethal team in a few years, the fact we did nothing with Tavares and re-signed Bailey who could have brought back a haul pretty much means the Islanders have to re-sign Tavares, we may not have done crap with him, but without him we are a bottom feeding team and I am not sure I am interested in seeing Barzal wasted on that.

Reactions: eoin92

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
There is a negotiating window before July 1st - they technically cannot discuss #'s - but JT and Pat Brisson would get a good idea of who is interested in signing at that time. JT and Brisson make the decision to move on from the Isles and they like team - a deal could go down where the Isles sign JT and then flip him to the team. It could be a pick or could be a pick and possibly a player with some $ to clear space for JT.

It won't be a comfortable offseason, but in the end I believe he will resign withe the Isles.
That trade is to complicated for snow he cant even make 1 for 1 player swaps. If im tavares im not helping the isles just for a 8th year. Plus if im Jt i can see the isles finding a legal way to not follow through with the trade and make him stay. JT may stay but it wont be because our owner or gm or coach did a good job with a dam thing. It will be because JT doesnt want to bail on the fans.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Will you keep saying that when he turns down more money from the isles and leaves to play for the maple leafs? If you find out that snow didn't trade him because he insistedi that he might stay? Would you still respect him?

I would respect Tavares even more if he left to a team that clearly is/could be a contender for less money than the Isles could've given him. There's nothing wrong with wanting a real shot at the Cup. He gave this organization 9 years to try to build a team around him on one of the most stupid, team-friendly contracts out there. And the real question is: who failed here, Tavares or the organization?

If Snow didn't trade him because Tavares told him he might stay with the Isles... Well, for one I don't think he'd say that, I bet he was properly schooled by Brisson ahead of time. But if he did, then I would actually believe that at that time he really thought he could stay. But then he saw the trainwreck of the rest of this season. The only think Weight tried to really change in the line-up was putting Tavares on Barzal's wing. That's all. The team is losing everything and our head coach is literally putting the same f***ing line-up every night. So yes, I would still respect him.

He played well for us and then totally collapsed down the stretch when we needed him most . That collapse is what lead to the teams collapse.
Now after comingc the season away grea going to bail on the franchise and I'm supposed to respect that? Lmao

I don't think I've seen a post that made so evident how dysfunctional is this team. One player's slump is what led us to the tragedy that this season has turned out to be. One f***ing player. Are you really thinking this is all Tavares' fault? Or maybe, just maybe, with better defence and goaltending we would survive his slump in much better shape, other forwards would pick up his slack and sure, we'd be in a worse shape, but nothing close to this tragedy? Here's the thing about hockey - it's a team sport.

(And please explain to me what 'bail on the franchise' means to you, because I don't see anything like that at all.)

And to end all of that, yes, I will still respect Tavares if he goes to a team that will need him playing great hockey every night there's a game and leaves the one that he needs to carry on his shoulders every night there's a game.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I just hope fans show up at the last home game and thank him, and watch his last moment before he leaves the ice, that will tell you exactly what his intentions are.

We're going to be in the good ol' US of A that week (okay, we'll basically land a few hours before the game) so in case this is Tavares' last home game as an Islander, we're gonna try to make it for this reason only.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Good to know it's going to come down to a player who has 78 points in 76 games as the reason the Isles don't make the playoffs. HFboards is so enlightening, I wonder if they have a doctorate program in underwater basket weaving so I can get a good job.

All stars slump from time to time. Tavares deserves better and at least one fan (I used the term loosely because the alternate is too insulting) is proving that, lol.

Reactions: sabremike

SI

Feb 16, 2013
That trade is to complicated for snow he cant even make 1 for 1 player swaps. If im tavares im not helping the isles just for a 8th year. Plus if im Jt i can see the isles finding a legal way to not follow through with the trade and make him stay. JT may stay but it wont be because our owner or gm or coach did a good job with a dam thing. It will be because JT doesnt want to bail on the fans.

8th year helps Tavares and the Team he is going to more than the Isles.

A legal way?
Do you actually mean Isles agree to a sign and trade and then say, "Psyche! We are not trading you, NOW! You just signed 8 looong years!"
moving on...

Say what you want about Snow, but complicated trades are not his issue - picking a coach, poor drafting, and ultimately the results are.

If JT stays, it's because he wants to be here.

The player I have seen over his time - he takes on the responsibility of not winning and NOT pushing it on the coaches or the GM.

Last edited:

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
You do realize that Keifer Bellows cannot come in and score goals for us before JT makes a decision about staying right? I'm confused why you added that to the list....really has nothing to do with your opening statement.

I was taken out if context. I didn't do anything wrong, and I'll never do it again. I did not have relations with that woman. And I was not involved with what happened to Nicole and Ron, but if I was, this is how I would have done it... I would have planned it a lot better than I actually did.

Reactions: Eberzal

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Good to know it's going to come down to a player who has 78 points in 76 games as the reason the Isles don't make the playoffs. HFboards is so enlightening, I wonder if they have a doctorate program in underwater basket weaving so I can get a good job.

All stars slump from time to time. Tavares deserves better and at least one fan (I used the term loosely because the alternate is too insulting) is proving that, lol.

He does deserve better, which is why I hope he signs elsewhere.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
My fav player was Turgeon. It was terrible to see him traded but within a year I realized how good it was for him to be away from the mickey mouse operation with the fisherman jersey and all islander tradition thrown down the toilet. He didnt get his cup but played for real organizations like montreal and a good st louis team. staying 10 years with isles would of been a waste of his career.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He does deserve better, which is why I hope he signs elsewhere.

You HOPE he signs elsewhere? Really?

What about us fans? No one deserves better than us, so our needs should come before JT's and he should have to stay.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

What about us fans? No one deserves better than us, so our needs should come before JT's and he should have to stay.

if we're going to go that route, then I hope he signs for $3.5MM on an 8 year deal (Clutterbuck coin) so we can invest in top talent around him, like in the first nine years. I'm hearing both Parenteau and Moulson are available in 2018-19, Boyes as well, Okposo/Vanek also available. #options

Reactions: Instant and Bones45

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

We deserve a competent GM who will build a good, solid team. Our lives as fans are longer than players' careers, so I would absolutely understand if Tavares wanted to go to a team that could win now and the Isles are not that team.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

We Isles fans are used to rooting for losers. See 1986 -> 2018

Poor JT-- this is his first experience with a junky team. I wish him a speedy car, open lanes and no construction to GTFO out NY and go to a better team where he can win.

burnout.gif

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Could just hope for...

Tavares to stay. Management to be replaced. Isles to win.

Would seem the more fan like thing to do.

That depends if you like your dreams realistic or not. Do you really think in the next 5-4 years the Isles can win the Cup?

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Dreger on a TDL show, suggested Tavares camp will tell the isles before the draft what his intentions are.

If it is fact that JT's agent will tell the Isles what his intentions are before the draft (vs Dreger just speculating), then that means the decision has been made and JT is leaving. Pending UFAs cannot talk to other teams until the day after the draft, which means June 24th. If JT put off signing with the Isles so he could dip his toes in the market, then making a decision before June 24th to stay with the Isles would preclude testing the market.

Conclusion: Bye-bye.

Snow will need to trade his rights and hopefully an 8 year sign and trade agreement so that we get something back.

Snow should have given him an ultimatum of the trade deadline. He didn't - let JT control the process - the Isles are screwed.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
While I want JT to stay, there's really no reason for him to do so. I wouldn't blame him one bit, and while Islanders will always be #1 to me and nobody's bigger than the franchise-I sincerely hopes he got the chance to lift the cup with whichever team he signs with (unless it's the Rags).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
While I want JT to stay, there's really no reason for him to do so. I wouldn't blame him one bit, and while Islanders will always be #1 to me and nobody's bigger than the franchise-I sincerely hopes he got the chance to lift the cup with whichever team he signs with (unless it's the Rags).

If the cap goes up to $82 million, the Penguins will have almost $12 million in cap space available. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad