Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
interesting in game 34 - not now. Now it's pointless, season's done. It's bordering on insulting to trying things now.

Interesting doesn't have to be a positive thing, you know?

It’s his last 10 or so games as an islander let him have some fun lol

Last 10 games as an Islander... Hell, when did we get to this point and how to stop this.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Why don't we throw the monkey suit on him and throw him in net?

In other news, would you willingly sign up for eight more years of this mess?

How quickly does Matt Barzal want to get out of here? He has to bite the bullet for seven more years or do what Patty LaFontaine, Kyle Turris, and Eric Lindros did and twist arms for a trade.

This franchise is a mess. Who would want to manage this team besides Tommy Wiseau. He'd drag Greg Sestero along with him and make him coach, but could it be worse than what we have now?

ALEXIVICH CHULKATURI

Dec 5, 2010
HILTON HEAD ISLAND
As the kids these days say: FTFY
As a diehard Marlins fan who has seen 2 rebuilds after just winning championships and a star die tragically in his prime I can assure you the sun will come up the next day no matter what his decision is. If we were moving into the new Belmont arena in September I'd give it more than a 50/50 chance he's staying. Since that's not the case I'm already making October lineups without him. I hate rooting for teams to lose but we surely could benefit going 0-21. 2 picks in the top 7 could put this decision in a whole better perspective.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I dont know why everyone is so against this. I actually think it is a good idea. Beau was really good centering his own line last year. I am more worried about JT meshing with the other two. But if Barzal and Eberle just keep doing what they were doing, JT shouldnt have to do much to be effective. I also think this might make Barzal tone it down a touch as far as turnovers are a concern, and probably hustle even more on the defensive side of the puck.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Ask yourself " WHY" the team is in last place.....Pride of ownership of the colors?...WHO HAS IT?

There are players on this team that are here for pay checks only, they replaced players that bled the colors...its as simple as that. So all the posters that talked shat about the UFA's lost ..Guess you had no idea what you were taking about. Its always the same few posters also.

Not only ZERO playoffs since their departure..Last place finish?

July 1 will be Snows chance to redeem himself.

Last edited:

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

How quickly does Matt Barzal want to get out of here? He has to bite the bullet for seven more years or do what Patty LaFontaine, Kyle Turris, and Eric Lindros did and twist arms for a trade.

This franchise is a mess. Who would want to manage this team besides Tommy Wiseau. He'd drag Greg Sestero along with him and make him coach, but could it be worse than what we have now?

I have news for you, there will be others who will simply want to get out if changes aren’t made.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Ask yourself " WHY" the team is in last place.....Pride of ownership of the colors?...WHO HAS IT?

There are players on this team that are here for pay checks only, they replaced players that bled the colors...its as simple as that. So all the posters that talked shat about the UFA's lost ..Guess you had no idea what you were taking about. Its always the same few posters also.

Ok, so...

This record is on the players heartless ways; the same players that management is responsible for assembling?

The loss of UFA’s is on the fans, not the GM responsible for managing the roster? Maybe fans should fire their professional scouts?

Finally, why are the players seemingly held to a standard of pride as players from past teams? Yet, Snow and Weight are not held to the same level of pride of Torrey and Arbour?

No thank you, Snow does not need to clean up anything.

Last edited:

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014

If Snow is here on July 1, we have a snowballing avalanche (yes, that was clever, extremely clever). Tavares is gone. How he's gone, is a bit of a mystery right now, but he's not coming back. What COULD save him is a managerial change of high impact. Being truthful, I don't know what good GM candidate with instant clout exist, but for the sake of this team's long-term, or any, success, new management is imperative.

For those keeping score, only Bill Torrey has had a longer tenure as Islander GM than Snow. Snow is only eight years behind him right now.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
If Snow is here on July 1, we have a snowballing avalanche (yes, that was clever, extremely clever). Tavares is gone. How he's gone, is a bit of a mystery right now, but he's not coming back. What COULD save him is a managerial change of high impact. Being truthful, I don't know what good GM candidate with instant clout exist, but for the sake of this team's long-term, or any, success, new management is imperative.

For those keeping score, only Bill Torrey has had a longer tenure as Islander GM than Snow. Snow is only eight years behind him right now.
Rumor has it Lou will be out in TOR after this season. I'd take him in a heartbeat for instant respect.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

I don't need to ask myself why this team is in the last place, I know the answer to this and it goes like that: the New York Islanders' GM, Garth Snow, isn't able to put together not only a playoff team, but a team that wouldn't be a total embarrassement to the fanbase and the whole NHL.

The only way Snow can redeem himself is to hand in his resignation in April.

Reactions: beach

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
So if Tavares isn't re-signed, you'll be on the Snow Must Go bandwagon?

no, I just wont give a crap, the Islanders are going to suck hard if JT is going to walk and it is going to be pointless to even root for this team

and a new GM is not going to automatically make things better, Isles just happened to have the 3 worst GM's in the history of the game as our last 3 GM's, right? maybe there are other factors that are preventing this team from getting any better

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

once Tavares is going to walk Barzal's thought's are going to be with another team, why it probably wasn't all that good for Barzal to jump on a seemingly playoff worthy team in his first full year (up until January at least) as he had a good expectation when he joined, now JT is going to leave and the Islanders are going to suck for at least the next 5 years, also think Barzal is a guy who thrives on a competitive or a good team, so it is going to doubly suck for him being on this bottom feeding team

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Well JT cost himself alot of playoff games and maybe cups by not leaving last time. Itd like falling in love with a abuser who hits you and you dobt leave them.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
If JT walks, this franchise will see a low not seen since Spano.

And Strummer will leave. Equally devastating.

Reactions: Eberzal

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
no, I just wont give a crap, the Islanders are going to suck hard if JT is going to walk and it is going to be pointless to even root for this team

and a new GM is not going to automatically make things better, Isles just happened to have the 3 worst GM's in the history of the game as our last 3 GM's, right? maybe there are other factors that are preventing this team from getting any better

Maybe the fact the ownership keeps cheaping out and hiring bad GMs?

Reactions: 12Dog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
From an outsider's perspective checking in intermittently, I actually find that the emergence of Barzal actually makes the Islanders the most appealing they've ever been for someone like Tavares to stay. Finally he has someone who may be on his tier or possibly better to play with and not just flop first rounders like Ryan Strome pretending to be a supporting cast. If you can sell the dream of an Tavares/Barzal core that will eventually compete for a championship, all the little details like a starting goalie seem like fairly doable things.

From a life after John Tavares point of view, the Barzal emergence actually makes losing Tavares the less painful than at any other point in the past 10 years. You have a potential superstar at the center position who can just take over the Tavares role, with a lottery pick coming up this June as a new foundation. Barzal has actually been a more impactful graduate than Tavares himself, so he could actually be an upgrade on the franchise center role.

From an arena point of view, it's always been a mess. I frankly don't understand the issue with so many Islanders players and the Brooklyn location. Why not just set up shop in Brooklyn Heights and enjoy the different lifestyle? Why is Long Island still a consideration? In terms of getting kicked out of the arena and moving somewhere in a few years, well, that's in a few years...

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
From an arena point of view, it's always been a mess. I frankly don't understand the issue with so many Islanders players and the Brooklyn location. Why not just set up shop in Brooklyn Heights and enjoy the different lifestyle? Why is Long Island still a consideration? In terms of getting kicked out of the arena and moving somewhere in a few years, well, that's in a few years...

Mostly because Barclays is shit. This isn't an arena built for hockey, the owners haven't done anything to improve the ice, which is one of the worst in the league and they weren't able to build a fanbase in Brooklyn, so the most faithful fans are still deep in Long Island. It's making more sense to go where the fanbase is.

And to why not set up shop in Brooklyn and enjoy different lifestyle, well, if you have enough money, Long Island is one of the best places to live in the US. I wouldn't wanna move from a place like Garden City to Brooklyn even if someone paid me for it and I LIKE Brooklyn. As to the players, well, they have kids in school and built a life there, so I can undestand them not wanting to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->