Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
I will add that unless major changes are made regarding management structure, coaching and team personnel, re-signing some of their current core is no guarantee. This ship has been listing in the water too long.

Reactions: Axe Man

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
JT and his line are HUGE reason why we are 10 points out. Been miserable ever since the new year.

In December, JT had 21 points in 15 games, Yet the Isles earned 12 out of a possible 30 points. So honestly, JT is not a HUGE reason they are 10 point out. If he scores more the Isles may lose less... but they are still losing. Coaching systems, depth, goaltending... there are a number of reasons before JT as to why this team is out.

Edit: My math was off. But point remains

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
I’m not mad.

Appears to be a desperate attempt to keep a select few happy and productive at the expense of the rest of the team. Why at this point would you combine our two best centers on a team that clearly cannot win with two productive lines let alone loading up one.

Certainly going forward this team does not have the depth at the center position to combine 13 & 91 so what is the point of this?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I promised myself I'm not gonna watch another game this season (except the one with the NYR in April), but this, this could convince me to watch tomorrow.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I will add that unless major changes are made regarding management structure, coaching and team personnel, re-signing some of their current core is no guarantee. This ship has been listing in the water too long.

It will be interesting to see how far this team will fall without JT and how well players like Lee and Eberle (who would be pending UFAs next year) play - whether they even want to re-sign and for what dollars.

The defense on this team, team defense, but also the immobile defensemen are so incredibly bad that I cannot see a way to improve them.

Unless there is another Leddy-Boychuk deal out there, this team is doomed - especially without deHaan.

Losing deHaan and Hamonic offsets the Leddy-Boychuk and the Pulock-Pelech-Mayfield are just too slow and awful puck movers and terrible defensively.

This is truly a terrible team with little hope of improvements from within

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Appears to be a desperate attempt to keep a select few happy and productive at the expense of the rest of the team. Why at this point would you combine our two best centers on a team that clearly cannot win with two productive lines let alone loading up one.

Certainly going forward this team does not have the depth at the center position to combine 13 & 91 so what is the point of this?

It’s the ol’... “nothing else worked so you might as well try something.” The greatest risk the Isles face now is losing... something they are already intimate with.

Maybe it’s an attempt to see how Beauvillier handles the center position?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
JT has been used primarily as a winger in all the international games because maybe he is not as good as a center and maybe actually better playing at wings?

Problem though will be faceoffs. He needs to take the faceoff instead of Barzy who is not as good in the draw. After the faceoff then they can switch off.

Isles need to find more centre depth in the off season. They just do not have enough natural centers. They have drafted centres but very few are truly good at this position. When they draft or trade for players, they need to rethink this. But their priority now is still D and G, with exception of the first 2 rounds where you definitely need to pick BP available.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Not a fan of JT at wing at all, at least not on this team. I’m a huge believer in building a team down the middle with strong centers, whether they’re pure offensive talents, defensive, or two way players. We simply don’t have the depth that would be needed to justify moving him to the wing. It works in international tournaments because of the crazy center depth Canada has, but I can’t see it working here. My hope is that we go with JT, Barzal, Beauvillier, and Cizikas down the middle for the foreseeable future and work on the wings.

My dream lineup within the next year or two:

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Bellows-Barzal-Eberle
Ladd-Beauvillier-Ho-Sang
?-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

I genuinely believe that second line could turn into a 1B line, and I see no reason why that couldn’t be a cup contending offense if everyone develops well.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
JT is not a center and never has been. He's not interested in the defensive zone. We'll see if weight has the balls to stick with it.

only 5 centres have more points since JT came into the league - Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Backstrom, Kopitar.
Only Stamkos and Crosby have more goals.

But maybe you're right.

:thumbu:

Spybot

May 12, 2014
I like the idea of Barzal getting the toughest matchups. That experience may come in handy next season...

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It will be interesting to see how far this team will fall without JT and how well players like Lee and Eberle (who would be pending UFAs next year) play - whether they even want to re-sign and for what dollars.

The defense on this team, team defense, but also the immobile defensemen are so incredibly bad that I cannot see a way to improve them.

Unless there is another Leddy-Boychuk deal out there, this team is doomed - especially without deHaan.

Losing deHaan and Hamonic offsets the Leddy-Boychuk and the Pulock-Pelech-Mayfield are just too slow and awful puck movers and terrible defensively.

This is truly a terrible team with little hope of improvements from within

Lovin’ the optimism redbull.

They bring in solid management with a pedigree, and they can be a competitive team. There’s enough in place, enough cap space with the departures, and enough assets to acquire talent. And Devon Toews is en route!

That said, I highly doubt ownership brings in new leadership. So yes, you are right, unless Snow gets real lucky this offseason.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
only 5 centres have more points since JT came into the league - Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Backstrom, Kopitar.
Only Stamkos and Crosby have more goals.

But maybe you're right.

:thumbu:
you're comparing just points? what about +/- or Corsi?

JT does not hustle back. everyone sees this. i am not opposed to keeping him, but the coaches should have a great skating, defensive minded winger with him, instead of trying to force him to be a good 200 ft. player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad