Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
Free? i said 70 million dollars.

I meant makes the most sense for JT, as with him the habs would be the epitome of a well rounded team.

People are forgetting he has a ntc. hes only going where he wants to go. maybe NY can get a couple of draft pics from the team he wants to sign with at the deadline if they let him negotiate... but why would he want his future team to give up all their assets for one extra playoff run that doesn't even allow for the extra 8th year on his contract? No, JT owes nothing to the islanders if he's ditching them. Why should he bother to waive to go to a team he does not intend to sign with? To risk injury just before his big payday contract?

All three of mtl's top lines with tavares are better than st louis top 9 sorry... at 8 of 9 positions at least (including patch better than tank) You're the ones with homer glasses if you think the opposite. And Habs back-end is light years ahead of blues. plus they got the cap space.

Tavares going to st Louis would have the same impact that Stasny had a few years ago: keeping up the slightly above average status quo. JT to habs puts them over the top and comfortably so for the bulk ot the rest of JT's career.

This may be the worst post I've seen on HF. Like literally every point is just flat out wrong.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Obviously JT in St.louis would be a perfect match. Him and tarasenko would be just about unstoppable for opposing D. Please ignore the troll. One ignorant fan doesn't make an entire fanbase. We don't have a top 5 blue chipper in the system, it's true but we have some under the radar guys budding with potential. Mcniven was OHL goalie of the year and is a great trade asset down the road. Charles Hudon is pretty likely to make the team this year, Poeling has Number 2 centre potential, and Noah Juulsen was outstanding defensively for canada at the world juniors. Also youtube victor mete.

I was being slightly facisious on the prospect side.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I notice you did not bother answering the questions.

1.In 5-7 months, why would the isles trade for impending ufa Turris as a key piece to a Tavares trade?

2.Why are the isles, already anxious about MDC' s struggles , accepting a struggling Brown as a key piece to a Tavares trade?
3.And finally, with two 2018 first +two 2018 seconds+ two 2019 seconds, do you really think a mid-late 2018 first excites anyone in the isles front office?

The ONLY interesting piece offered is Ceci.

well I noticed you did not bother comprehending any of my posts.

I made a proposal and you said no for reasons you keep repeating to yourself. If the deal doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense - I am not changing your mind on that, nor do I care too.

my disagreement with you is these pieces are not "spare parts", regardless of if they make sense in a Tavares deal or not, and I have been very clear in that approach.

:help:

I guess the better approach would be for me to ask you; hypothetically 5 months from now it is determined that Tavares will not resign with the Islanders..what deals would you accept from realistic trading partners/teams you feel make sense?

Last edited:

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

I meant makes the most sense for JT, as with him the habs would be the epitome of a well rounded team.

People are forgetting he has a ntc. hes only going where he wants to go. maybe NY can get a couple of draft pics from the team he wants to sign with at the deadline if they let him negotiate... but why would he want his future team to give up all their assets for one extra playoff run that doesn't even allow for the extra 8th year on his contract? No, JT owes nothing to the islanders if he's ditching them. Why should he bother to waive to go to a team he does not intend to sign with? To risk injury just before his big payday contract?

All three of mtl's top lines with tavares are better than st louis top 9 sorry... at 8 of 9 positions at least (including patch better than tank) You're the ones with homer glasses if you think the opposite. And Habs back-end is light years ahead of blues. plus they got the cap space.

Tavares going to st Louis would have the same impact that Stasny had a few years ago: keeping up the slightly above average status quo. JT to habs puts them over the top and comfortably so for the bulk ot the rest of JT's career.

Everything bolded is completely wrong. :laugh:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
well I noticed you did not bother comprehending any of my posts.

I made a proposal and you said no for reasons you keep repeating to yourself. If the deal doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense - I am not changing your mind on that, nor do I care too.

my disagreement with you is these pieces are not "spare parts", regardless of if they make sense in a Tavares deal or not, and I have been very clear in that approach.

:help:

I guess the better approach would be for me to ask you; hypothetically 5 months from now it is determined that Tavares will not resign with the Islanders..what deals would you accept from realistic trading partners/teams you feel make sense?

Turris is an impending ufa and in 5-7 months when the isles will know where they stand with the arena decision, Turris will have anywhere from 3 months to 5 weeks left on his regular season contract.Isles will not be trading Tavares for several weeks or 3 months of Turris.

And do you think it is a coincidence that the prospect the Sens fan offered up is the one coming off a ****** season? An injury filled, disappointing season?

As for draft picks, the isles go into the next 2 drafts with extras. They are more likely to offer up their extra 1st+ 2nd to acquire an nhler then move Tavares in an effort to stockpile picks.

A lot of pieces don't equal quality.

If the isles are forced to move Tavares, they will land better then a soon to be ufa and a disappointing, struggle prospect as key pieces.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Is this post serious? There are a plethora of errors I could point out, but I will just settle on one....the Habs backend is light years away from the Blues...that is correct, but it's not in a positive way.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is this post serious? There are a plethora of errors I could point out, but I will just settle on one....the Habs backend is light years away from the Blues...that is correct, but it's not in a positive way.

Yeah, it's serious.

Theres a small minority of Habs fans who have been duped by Bergevin so they tell themselves egregious lies.

Apparently, no one can compete with the Habs for Tavares and no one would make room for him, so the Habs are going to get him for Hudon, Danault and a bundle of first round picks.

Because, you know, the Islanders wouldn't be looking for a blue chip prospect in a deal.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, it's serious.

Theres a small minority of Habs fans who have been duped by Bergevin so they tell themselves egregious lies.

Apparently, no one can compete with the Habs for Tavares and no one would make room for him, so the Habs are going to get him for Hudon, Danault and a bundle of first round picks.

Because, you know, the Islanders wouldn't be looking for a blue chip prospect in a deal.

Good Lord, the Leafs could easily outbid them, and we really don't need Tavares.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Turris is an impending ufa and in 5-7 months when the isles will know where they stand with the arena decision, Turris will have anywhere from 3 months to 5 weeks left on his regular season contract.Isles will not be trading Tavares for several weeks or 3 months of Turris.

And do you think it is a coincidence that the prospect the Sens fan offered up is the one coming off a ****** season? An injury filled, disappointing season?

As for draft picks, the isles go into the next 2 drafts with extras. They are more likely to offer up their extra 1st+ 2nd to acquire an nhler then move Tavares in an effort to stockpile picks.

A lot of pieces don't equal quality.

If the isles are forced to move Tavares, they will land better then a soon to be ufa and a disappointing, struggle prospect as key pieces.

You did not answer my question. Stop arguing with yourself lmao Turris is a ufa, Brown had an injury filled season, Isles have 1st round picks.. I have not nor will I ever disagree with these points. READ.

What trades specifically would you accept. Go.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Good Lord, the Leafs could easily outbid them, and we really don't need Tavares.

And then there are clubs like Columbus who could have room and the need, who would legitimately become contenders over night if they add him via FA.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Pierre McGuire 'I personally think he's going to Buffalo before he'd go to Montreal'

17:50 mark below

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mcguire-drouin-is-best-in-a-complimentary-role-1.849141

how does that work for the cap? Once Eichel is signed that's a lot of money at forward already, and then adding 10-12 million AAV on top? They will have It's just like Friedman saying Tampa. Also Toronto makes no sense, like McGuire said, but I get that many pundits suggest it because it's clickbait.

What makes the most sense are teams that have a big need, and have the cap space, and are in win-now mode, and have no drama. ie the Blues, Rangers, Canadiens, Blue Jackets

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Pierre Mcguire :laugh: The same guy that said take Brule and not Price or the one that said the Habs have ZERO chance at landing Alzner ? he is a fool stop listening to his drivel.

Not that I think Tavares will go to Buffalo, but who exactly are hockey fans supposed to listen to? McGuire far and away the best insider in hockey.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
And then there are clubs like Columbus who could have room and the need, who would legitimately become contenders over night if they add him via FA.

Well now that's a different ball of wax. I think he will be traded to the team on which he resigns...if the Jackets want him, they would probably have to trade for him as i don't think he will be available as a FA.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You did not answer my question. Stop arguing with yourself lmao Turris is a ufa, Brown had an injury filled season, Isles have 1st round picks.. I have not nor will I ever disagree with these points. READ.

Isles would demand young , cost controlled talent. Either already in the nhl or thought to be close to nhl ready

There was a report a few weeks back from Bossy.He told his Montreal audience that the Habs had offered Galchenyuk (sp) to the isles and had the offer rejected
No mention of who would be going to Montreal.
Some Habs posters think it would have been for Leddy , while others think it would have been a key piece to a Tavares trade .

If Barzal has a strong , first pro season, the isles may find it easier to accept a scoring winger back as the key to a Tavares trade, thinking they have a potential #1 center already developing in Bridgeport or Brooklyn

Either way, it won't be an impending ufa or struggling prospect coming back

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
how does that work for the cap? Once Eichel is signed that's a lot of money at forward already, and then adding 10-12 million AAV on top? They will have It's just like Friedman saying Tampa. Also Toronto makes no sense, like McGuire said, but I get that many pundits suggest it because it's clickbait.

What makes the most sense are teams that have a big need, and have the cap space, and are in win-now mode, and have no drama. ie the Blues, Rangers, Canadiens, Blue Jackets

Trade away: Moulson and ROR.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I'd do Chabot, Brown and a 1st. And if you are going to laugh and say no way like Crew did to you I'm okay with that. Somebody is going to offer an equivalent package even as a rental, so we'll just take BPA (best package available).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I agree with Pierre, that if GIVEN the choice between ONLY Buffalo and Montreal, Tavares would choose Buffalo.

He's not saying that Buffalo has the inside track, in my opinion however.

Buffalo is a much lower key city than Montreal, something I see attractive to Tavares based off of the things we've learned about his lifestyle in his years on Long Island.

On top of that, it's a young and upcoming team with ex-Isles on it (Moulson & Okposo, not that Moulson will be around for much longer but he likely has good things to say about the organization).

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Isles would demand young , cost controlled talent. Either already in the nhl or thought to be close to nhl ready

There was a report a few weeks back from Bossy.He told his Montreal audience that the Habs had offered Galchenyuk (sp) to the isles and had the offer rejected
No mention of who would be going to Montreal.
Some Habs posters think it would have been for Leddy , while others think it would have been a key piece to a Tavares trade .

If Barzal has a strong , first pro season, the isles may find it easier to accept a scoring winger back as the key to a Tavares trade, thinking they have a potential #1 center already developing in Bridgeport or Brooklyn

Either way, it won't be an impending ufa or struggling prospect coming back

Sorry if I was not clear, do you have a specific example of a package you would accept from a team of your choice.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I agree with Pierre, that if GIVEN the choice between ONLY Buffalo and Montreal, Tavares would choose Buffalo.

He's not saying that Buffalo has the inside track, in my opinion however.

Buffalo is a much lower key city than Montreal, something I see attractive to Tavares based off of the things we've learned about his lifestyle in his years on Long Island.

On top of that, it's a young and upcoming team with ex-Isles on it (Moulson & Okposo, not that Moulson will be around for much longer but he likely has good things to say about the organization).

And he grew up in that building. His uncle is a legend there with his name in the rafters. And he's not too far from home.

I've said for years if Tavares left that Buffalo would be high on his list. So many things point to it.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I'd do Chabot, Brown and a 1st. And if you are going to laugh and say no way like Crew did to you I'm okay with that. Somebody is going to offer an equivalent package even as a rental, so we'll just take BPA (best package available).

Lol no im not gonna laugh at all, asking for our best prospect is fully warranted when a superstar like Tavares is traded. Interesting you would have Brown and a 1st in the deal though, really good 'futures' type package.

I think the issue with a trade from the other side is knowing 1) you are only trading tons of top end assets knowing you are gonna sign him and 2) finding the capspace for a 10+ million dollar player. Like a trade like the one you suggested would force the team to make one, two, or three more moves to solve the issue of cap..although that could be the gamble to get an elite 1C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad