Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Ryan Murray + Oliver Bjokstrand + 2018 1st + 2019 2nd for John Tavares + Calvin De Haan?

Panarin - Wennberg - Jenner
Milano - Tavares - Atkinson
Foligno - Dubinsky - Anderson
Dubois - Sedlak - Calvert

Werenski - Jones
Johnson - Savard
De Haan - Carlsson

Columbus makes a nice run with this lineup and give Tavares a reason to re-sign. Can shed about to 5 million with Calvert off the books for next year and Murray leaving. Would give them about 11 million in capspace without taking into account a cap increase to bump up Tavares and Atkinson's salary by about 4 million each. Very doable.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Every indication is that Tavares is waiting for certainty on the Islanders’ long-term future before the franchise centerpiece of nine years signs on for eight more. There is no reason to expect that the captain wouldn’t be willing to wait for the state’s decision until the free agent market opens on July 1, if necessary. He obviously wants to stay; the proper authorities would know otherwise by now.
http://nypost.com/2017/10/14/the-timeline-for-isles-new-arena-could-be-a-huge-problem/

Not that Brooks is that clued in to what's happening with the Islanders, but he does have league sources, and there isn't a single credible rumor that the Islanders are interested in having any discussions about JT, or that he's told them he wants to go. Despite some of Brooks' concern trolling, reports are that there is an expected 4-6 month time table for an arena decision, that gives them plenty of time to get a deal done by July 1. If they get the arena, expect a contract soon after. If not, or if the State drags its feet, they have problems that go way beyond JT, and what ever team is ready to fork over a 7yr/12M+ AAV deal can sign him then (because that's the neighborhood he'll be shopping in). Things that the Islanders have done in the past have surprised me, but I'd be beyond stunned if they were to trade him -- even if the playoffs are a long shot at the deadline.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't see too many teams are in shape to absorbe JT's next contract. Even Toronto with Matthew's impeding next contract. I think it will be in the neighborhood of $11m/yr for 7 years.

Stamkos contract is no longer representative because of McDavid and Draisaitl. If anything, Draisaitl's contract makes Stamkos' contract a steal in my view.

The teams that can absorbe JT's salary without signficant re-arranging the team are not the likely teams to bid by the TDL. Islander GM probably wants a mix of 1st round draft picks, top young players, and solid prospects.

This will not match well for teams that need Islanders to take players back that represent a signficant amount of cap hit to make room. If so, Islanders will likely want more than one 1st round draft pick to compensate.

Also, JT is not going to give up his NMC and not get top dollar.

I see him going dipping into the UFA market as being more likely than a trade. JT is completely in the driver's seat controlling the door locks and windows for everyone.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
id have to agree...even if they trade him for absolute max haul back they wouldnt be sniffing playoffs for years

Sniffing the playoffs as in a 1st round exit is the worst outcome in today's NHL. There are two winners... the cup and lottery winners. A first round exit just assures losing out on both.

Do it once is not as bad as doing it consecutively. It's too harmful to keep doing it.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Ryan Murray + Oliver Bjokstrand + 2018 1st + 2019 2nd for John Tavares + Calvin De Haan?

Panarin - Wennberg - Jenner
Milano - Tavares - Atkinson
Foligno - Dubinsky - Anderson
Dubois - Sedlak - Calvert

Werenski - Jones
Johnson - Savard
De Haan - Carlsson

Columbus makes a nice run with this lineup and give Tavares a reason to re-sign. Can shed about to 5 million with Calvert off the books for next year and Murray leaving. Would give them about 11 million in capspace without taking into account a cap increase to bump up Tavares and Atkinson's salary by about 4 million each. Very doable.
I like how JT is on the second line and we get to add de Haan.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Why would anyone, especially someone that can choose his own destination, want to spend an entire career with that organization. From the rink situations to complete mismanagement to being overshadowed by the Rangers I don't know why he's stay. I sure wouldn't want to play there. Go somewhere like Toronto, Montreal, Philly, Detroit, Boston... great hockey towns that can all make room for him. Enough wasting away in Brooklyn.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why would anyone, especially someone that can choose his own destination, want to spend an entire career with that organization. From the rink situations to complete mismanagement to being overshadowed by the Rangers I don't know why he's stay. I sure wouldn't want to play there. Go somewhere like Toronto, Montreal, Philly, Detroit, Boston... great hockey towns that can all make room for him. Enough wasting away in Brooklyn.

Unless he can convert and play D really well or keep playing at 5.5M AAV, the Leafs have zero room or interest in Tavares.

Reactions: hotpaws

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah, Toranto has won a ton over the years.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, Toranto has won a ton over the years.

The Leafs didn’t flub gimme picks. Expect them to win a lot in the coming seasons.

MDC over Nylander, Ehlers? Reinhart over Lindholm, Rielly, Forsberg, Trouba etc?

NYI could have been a great team but they just didn’t know how to draft well outside of Tavares which was a gimme pick.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Unless he can convert and play D really well or keep playing at 5.5M AAV, the Leafs have zero room or interest in Tavares.

Seems ridiculous to me to completely rule out taking on a talent like him, depending on the hit. The team obviously doesn't specifically need a player like him with their forward talent, but he would potentially open up options for trading from a position of strength.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
The Leafs didn’t flub gimme picks. Expect them to win a lot in the coming seasons.

MDC over Nylander, Ehlers? Reinhart over Lindholm, Rielly, Forsberg, Trouba etc?

NYI could have been a great team but they just didn’t know how to draft well outside of Tavares which was a gimme pick.

Leafs fan talking about bad managerial decisions hahahaha

a373b64b57dcba54396cac63ca82085b--hockey-baby-ice-hockey.jpg

6a0115709f071f970b017742d7ab58970d.jpe

a4640f336b569ebd46e739875336a4e1--beautiful-smile-boston-bruins.jpg

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010

they flubbed taking rielly with better d avaikable

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I can see calgary being a player if hes available, we need a true elite talent to compete imo (gaudreau is close) and our core is in a win now mode pretty much with the mix of veterans we got

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
No kidding. We've had some awful management over the years but when Bergevin is running your team, you're in no position to mock anyone. Snow is a crummy GM. So is Bergevin. So was any Leafs GM after Quinn up until Lou. Awful management for all 3 franchises for quite some time.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
JT would look great on most any teams......But the NYI need him the most ,they have some other decent players on that team .But most here agree Snow has not done enough ,and he needs to be replaced.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
This thread is turning into a find a player and a pic of their nicest smile. So cute.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

NYI no doubt missed on drafting some key pieces. Ehlers would of looked great in Orange, Blue and White. Going forward, the NYI are close to being a contender. Such a fine line between between mediocre and good in this league.... The PP is what 0-18? actually it's a minus 4 with 4 shorty's against and their respective #1 center is playing well below what the team has seen for almost 9 years. Some mid to late 1st rounders are playing better than expected. Ho Sang and Barzal bring much needed speed and skill. The Isles have played 4 out of 6 on the road I believe and when the smoke cleared they are 1 game under 500 with all the lack of production and PP troubles. A long homestand may right the ship. Maybe changing up the PP may work (lol)

JT may have to get angry or something but he is off. Hopefully he gets hot and it's back to wondering if Belmont accepts the RFP....

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
just move bozak and kadri. he is better then both.

Bozak and Kadri are making 8.7M, Tavares likely doesn't take a penny under 10M.

If we have nearly 35M tied towards four forwards, we are going to be an exciting team but won't win unless Liljegren reaches his ceiling.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
NYI no doubt missed on drafting some key pieces. Ehlers would of looked great in Orange, Blue and White. Going forward, the NYI are close to being a contender. Such a fine line between between mediocre and good in this league.... The PP is what 0-18? actually it's a minus 4 with 4 shorty's against and their respective #1 center is playing well below what the team has seen for almost 9 years. Some mid to late 1st rounders are playing better than expected. Ho Sang and Barzal bring much needed speed and skill. The Isles have played 4 out of 6 on the road I believe and when the smoke cleared they are 1 game under 500 with all the lack of production and PP troubles. A long homestand may right the ship. Maybe changing up the PP may work (lol)

JT may have to get angry or something but he is off. Hopefully he gets hot and it's back to wondering if Belmont accepts the RFP....

I don't think Tavares is leaving NYI. I'd be shocked. If he stayed and took a discount on his last contract, there is no reason for him to go anywhere else. Islanders will give him Toews money and sign him before he becomes UFA.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If JT has genuine interest in the Leafs, you bet they'll listen. So will 30 other teams. The people they pay to run the cap will also know what is and what isn't feasible.
The Leafs won't be trading for JT but I don't see how they wouldn't love to have him given the chance.
That being said, I see the Islander's getting JT signed just like Tampa got Stamkos locked up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad