Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Bozak and Kadri are making 8.7M, Tavares likely doesn't take a penny under 10M.

If we have nearly 35M tied towards four forwards, we are going to be an exciting team but won't win unless Liljegren reaches his ceiling.
True but if he wants to come, why not? I would rather play with JVR and Marner then the flavour of the week in NYI.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
I don't see too many teams are in shape to absorbe JT's next contract. Even Toronto with Matthew's impeding next contract. I think it will be in the neighborhood of $11m/yr for 7 years.

Stamkos contract is no longer representative because of McDavid and Draisaitl. If anything, Draisaitl's contract makes Stamkos' contract a steal in my view.

The teams that can absorbe JT's salary without signficant re-arranging the team are not the likely teams to bid by the TDL. Islander GM probably wants a mix of 1st round draft picks, top young players, and solid prospects.

This will not match well for teams that need Islanders to take players back that represent a signficant amount of cap hit to make room. If so, Islanders will likely want more than one 1st round draft pick to compensate.

Also, JT is not going to give up his NMC and not get top dollar.

I see him going dipping into the UFA market as being more likely than a trade. JT is completely in the driver's seat controlling the door locks and windows for everyone.

Montreal

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
True but if he wants to come, why not? I would rather play with JVR and Marner then the flavour of the week in NYI.

I don't know, I am sure players making millions of dollars at the top of their game have egos. I don't think Tavares is going to go to a team where he's the second best player. He'll either stay in NYI or go to a team where he becomes the best player.

I think he sticks with NYI because he likes the coach, he likes his team and it's the only place where he's played. IMO, if anyone was going to come to the Leafs, it was Stamkos and he came close to coming but decided against it because the Leafs were still an unknown and he would be leaving a very good team. Tavares, I think is being very honest when he says that he wants to be in NYI.

I'd much rather spend money on Tavares over JvR and Bozak because Tavares can make players around him better and we could keep shuffling ELC wingers but it's more of a want than need.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Leafs can let bozak and JVR walk and have cap space for Tavares.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Why would anyone, especially someone that can choose his own destination, want to spend an entire career with that organization. From the rink situations to complete mismanagement to being overshadowed by the Rangers I don't know why he's stay. I sure wouldn't want to play there. Go somewhere like Toronto, Montreal, Philly, Detroit, Boston... great hockey towns that can all make room for him. Enough wasting away in Brooklyn.

Does Tavares not strike you as the loyal sort? I get that impression from him. That could be a reason why he'd stay with them.

Although he's a competitive guy who wants to win Cups, he's not going to be a Doan, Thornton who's just happy collecting checks and being anonymous.

I have no idea, but if I were JT and Eberle was the big addition to show me that we are trying to be competitive I'd already be figuring out which market needs me/can afford me/and is a contender or close to.

It would be hilarious if Toronto signed him: Matthews and Tavares. Won't happen but GD I'd like to see that.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't know, I am sure players making millions of dollars at the top of their game have egos. I don't think Tavares is going to go to a team where he's the second best player. He'll either stay in NYI or go to a team where he becomes the best player.

I think he sticks with NYI because he likes the coach, he likes his team and it's the only place where he's played. IMO, if anyone was going to come to the Leafs, it was Stamkos and he came close to coming but decided against it because the Leafs were still an unknown and he would be leaving a very good team. Tavares, I think is being very honest when he says that he wants to be in NYI.

I'd much rather spend money on Tavares over JvR and Bozak because Tavares can make players around him better and we could keep shuffling ELC wingers but it's more of a want than need.
Stamkos is always hurt and he doesn't like switching positions to help the team. I think the Leafs should go for it, Matthews is too young to be a captain right now. JVR should go to the rangers so he can get his big contract that he wants.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Stamkos is always hurt and he doesn't like switching positions to help the team. I think the Leafs should go for it, Matthews is too young to be a captain right now. JVR should go to the rangers so he can get his big contract that he wants.

I am sure the Leafs will see what happens this season and think if they should attempt to sign Tavares if he reaches UFA.

I think the Leafs are more interested in finding a way to get another good D over a forward. Going after Tavares would be a no brainer if the Leafs didn't win the Matthews lottery. Now it's not really important. I still do think that the Leafs will go after him in UFA if he makes it...offensive depth in the playoffs is more important than ever right now.

Nashville had a much better D than Pittsburgh but lost. Everything tightens up in the playoffs, even the teams that are average defensively have good numbers. Team with the most offensive depth usually wins
Tavares and Marner on the same line would be a treat to watch but I don't see it happening.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Leafs cant afford Tavares
They will likely need to re-sign Matthews at 12 million, Marner and Nylander at 8+ million each, and that will already be pretty hard to do considering their capspace.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs can afford Tavares.
It will be a very tight fit, if he decides to come to Toronto. But it's definitely possible to fit his $10 million salary on the team.
But for the team to have success, they need players on ELCs to step up every year. So lots of pressure on Mark Hunter.

Also, like people have pointed out JVR, Bozak and Komarov are out. But so is Gardiner. As on next season Leivo, Aaltonen, Kapanen, and Grundstrom are all ready to step in. On defence they have Travis Dermott ready to step in and play as well.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs cant afford Tavares
They will likely need to re-sign Matthews at 12 million, Marner and Nylander at 8+ million each, and that will already be pretty hard to do considering their capspace.

Marner isn't going to get 8M. Matthews certainly won't get 12. Nylander has a good chance of getting 8-8.5M. If he's healthy, 80 points doesn't seem inconceivable for him and he's playing the exact same role Draisaitl plays with McDavid so he's got a comparable. I'd hope the Leafs can get him to take something similar to Pastrnak's contract.

But that is wishful thinking at the moment.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'm all for bringing in Tavares for Bozak and JVR.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Brown - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier - Komarov

Drool worthy!

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
I'm all for bringing in Tavares for Bozak and JVR.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Brown - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier - Komarov

Drool worthy!

wake up and wipe the drool off your chin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad