Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Huh? Elliot Friedman has that pegged down by a landslide. McGuire isn't even in the same realm, nor does he even have the same job as Friedman.

Bob Mckenzie hasn't retired; however you're correct that McGuire isn't an insider - he gets information before them, but doesn't divulge until the news "is out there." Afterwhich, he does a nice job of breaking down the news from an angle not many are privy to.

Mar 26, 2010
Tavares is awesome, but he will not be leaving the NYI.

Any team in the NHL would love to have him.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lol no im not gonna laugh at all, asking for our best prospect is fully warranted when a superstar like Tavares is traded. Interesting you would have Brown and a 1st in the deal though, really good 'futures' type package.

I think the issue with a trade from the other side is knowing 1) you are only trading tons of top end assets knowing you are gonna sign him and 2) finding the capspace for a 10+ million dollar player. Like a trade like the one you suggested would force the team to make one, two, or three more moves to solve the issue of cap..although that could be the gamble to get an elite 1C.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I just couldn't rationalize making an offer where we get your best prospect and a roster player. I guess moving Tavares could afford us a cap dump, but that might actually raise the price. Islanders are in a tough spot because losing Tavares does not necessarily equal and all out rebuild. On the other hand, they have enough draft picks to do an all out rebuild if they chose to. Kind of a weird spot.

Do you guys really have any cap dumps other than Phaneuf? Seems like everybody else is on deserved contracts. I just threw Brown and a first because you were willing to part with them, but didn't really think much past that. In all honesty I know very little about Brown.

Another thing to consider is you guys dumping Chabot is kind of putting you in the same kind of uncertainty in a couple years with Karlsson, like we are now with the Tavares/Barzal situation. However, if Ottawa added a piece like Tavares I'm quite confident they would repeat their success from last season and build on it. I just couldn't see asking for your best prospect and a piece like Stone, Hoffman et al. I really like Ceci, but can't imagine Ottawa would be happy with parting with him either. Ryan seemed to have under performed again but he was money in the playoffs if I remember correctly.

Anyway, thanks for at least having a decent conversation about it. I really do think Ottawa is a great fit for Tavares, just not sure if there is a good hockey trade for both teams in there.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Tavares is awesome, but he will not be leaving the NYI.

Any team in the NHL would love to have him.

I don't know, my guess is he will wait to see how the season goes if they are not making the playoffs or on the bubble he probably won't resign....gone at the deadline.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Sabres offer at the trade deadline:

Sam Reinhart
Alex Nylander
E. Kane or Moulson (salary balance)

for John Tavares

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo ( LOL )
ROR - Eichel - Mittelstadt

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
As an Isles fan, I love JT, bit I’m willing to admit he’s more of a top 20 guy, not a top 5 player. Bearing that in mind, the arena uncertainty, and the pure numbers over the past few years, I would agree to the following:

Senators Receive- Tavares

Isles Receive- Turris, Chabot, 18’ 1st round pick

Seems fair both ways for me. Turris has had three 55+ point seasons, and looks primed to do so again. Tavares is starting to look more like an annual 65-70 point guy. For 10 less points, it is worth acquiring a young, highly touted defensive prospect, and another first in a deep draft, one in which we already have two others. I know some Isles fans will kill me for this, but if you look at this objectively, this is more than a fair return.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Sam Reinhart
Alex Nylander

for John Tavares

If Buffao actually offered that, NYI would take it and ruuun

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
And he grew up in that building. His uncle is a legend there with his name in the rafters. And he's not too far from home.

I've said for years if Tavares left that Buffalo would be high on his list. So many things point to it.
Tavares will probably sign for close to $11 million and i doubt he'd want to play 2nd fiddle to Eichel Eichel is the star of Buffalo and Tavares will want to go where he can be a star and that's not happening in Buffalo.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The use
Tavares will probably sign for close to $11 million and i doubt he'd want to play 2nd fiddle to Eichel Eichel is the star of Buffalo and Tavares will want to go where he can be a star and that's not happening in Buffalo.
The usual stuff from Number1RedWingsFan. He seems always think he has inside information to all players. He doesn't. If Tavares wants to win, he will likely have to share stardom with other star players. Didn't hurt the hurt the Hawks for years with Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook sharing stardom. If Tavares wants all this stardom for himself, stay with Isles as this Red Wing fan suggest. Then he can enjoy golfing in the second week of April.

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
No way Tavares stays with the Islanders.

Even if a brand new arena (with decent ice) dropped out of the sky today and provided an instant solution to that problem, this guy is still running the team.

Last edited:

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Sam Reinhart
Alex Nylander

for John Tavares

Offer still stands. Gives Sabres arguably the best Top 6 in the NHL. Tavares goes to one of his top 3 choice of teams and Sabres get to offer the 8 year contract. Trade assumes Sabres talk to his agent in advance.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Pierre Mcguire :laugh: The same guy that said take Brule and not Price or the one that said the Habs have ZERO chance at landing Alzner ? he is a fool stop listening to his drivel.
Well in his defence, sports analysts and writers do sometimes get things wrong. Better to take things with a grain of salt instead of just dismissing what they say.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Since when is Eichel better than Tavares?
I've never once said that Eichel was better then Tavares? But Buffalo drafted him to be their star elite player and are paying him $10 million per year starting next year to do so. But adding another $10 million with Tavares on top of Eichel and with O'Reilly and Okposo making decent money good luck locking up other RFA's like Reinhart or Nylander should Tavares sign with the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad