Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Snow can save himself the Drama Of JT! JT is not going to sign here! Trade JT and Dal Colle to The Avs for Matt Duchene, Avs #1 in 18, and another Prospect! Matt has 2 years left on contract and would give time For Barzal to develop.

Will JT sign with The Avs? Most Likely not so They can deal him at the Trade deadline and Snow would have Less of a Headache. Let Islander Fans Be Crazy If They Like! JT is Not the Savior for The New York Islanders.

Shoot me down for the thought of this! Shoot Me Down for How I write! Open Eyes and get some Vision. Let JT be a Distraction somewhere Else! Remember LaFontaine He was Traded and the List can go On.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Snow can save himself the Drama Of JT! JT is not going to sign here! Trade JT and Dal Colle to The Avs for Matt Duchene, Avs #1 in 18, and another Prospect! Matt has 2 years left on contract and would give time For Barzal to develop.

Will JT sign with The Avs? Most Likely not so They can deal him at the Trade deadline and Snow would have Less of a Headache. Let Islander Fans Be Crazy If They Like! JT is Not the Savior for The New York Islanders.

Shoot me down for the thought of this! Shoot Me Down for How I write! Open Eyes and get some Vision. Let JT be a Distraction somewhere Else! Remember LaFontaine He was Traded and the List can go On.

a true visionary

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
TLEHMANN;135538701[B said:
]Literally every single line that STL has is better than MTL[/B]. If Gallagher can play better then the 2nds might be a wash.

:laugh:

MTL lines looks all better.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Most of our prospects aren't as well know as other teams. I don't think it's homer glasses. More, he just doesn't know the Floor/Ceilings off our prospects.

I'm sorry but the amount of mental gymnastics I've seen from Habs fans in this thread rationalizing how Montreal would be a front-runner for Tavares screams homerism. There are several teams, including the Blues, that have a much better chance of trading for him before he ever hits FA.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No idea if the info below has been posted yet. Sorry if it's old news for some.

Imo the isles won't look into any JT trade unless the Belmont deal is awarded elsewhere in 5-7 months.

https://eyesonisles.com/2017/08/29/new-york-islanders-mike-bossy-john-tavares-rumor-context/
What Bossy said in the segment was that Tavares was likely waiting for a new arena deal. Which again, reflects everything we’ve heard up to date on the negotiations. I’ve maintained that thought consistently and so has Arthur Staple.

Again, Staple reiterated that from the chatter he’s heard, Tavares is waiting on the Belmont arena deal. An answer that might be another 5-7 months away is Staple’s colleague Randi Marshall is correct.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No idea if the info below has been posted yet. Sorry if it's old news for some.

Imo the isles won't look into any JT trade unless the Belmont deal is awarded elsewhere in 5-7 months.

https://eyesonisles.com/2017/08/29/new-york-islanders-mike-bossy-john-tavares-rumor-context/
What Bossy said in the segment was that Tavares was likely waiting for a new arena deal. Which again, reflects everything we’ve heard up to date on the negotiations. I’ve maintained that thought consistently and so has Arthur Staple.

Again, Staple reiterated that from the chatter he’s heard, Tavares is waiting on the Belmont arena deal. An answer that might be another 5-7 months away is Staple’s colleague Randi Marshall is correct.

That's going to put the Islanders in a difficult spot, if they won't know whether he re-signs or not until near the trade deadline, since the 5-7 month time frame falls somewhere between January and March.

What if the Isles are well out of a playoff position, but they still haven't heard back on whether the Belmont arena deal is happening? Do they hold onto Tavares in hopes it goes their way, but at the risk of him walking at the end of the year if it doesn't?

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Completely disagree. I see a bunch of grinders.

Even though the blues players haven't played in the NHL yet, their ceilings and value as prospects are known.

The blues have 4 centers better than montreals best. And the blues top winger is miles better than the habs.

Not too mention, weber showed his age last year after a hot start. He was abysmal in the second half. Too slow to keep up in this NHL.

Montreal has price though.

But the habs also have a consensus bottom 5 prospect pool in the entire league with nothing even remotely close to a blue chip guy or even a first liner/top pair d man

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If Snow was smart he would be in contact With other GMs interested in trading for Tavares and set some ground work in case they're hand gets forced.

Tell teams what you want and what's acceptable to come to the table with.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That's going to put the Islanders in a difficult spot, if they won't know whether he re-signs or not until near the trade deadline, since the 5-7 month time frame falls somewhere between January and March.

What if the Isles are well out of a playoff position, but they still haven't heard back on whether the Belmont arena deal is happening? Do they hold onto Tavares in hopes it goes their way, but at the risk of him walking at the end of the year if it doesn't?

I have no problem with ownership's decision to wait out the Belmont/arena news in 5-7 months.
And Staple thinks that even if they fall out of the playoff race, it is a very low chance they deal Tavares.Just his opinion, but Staple puts the chances of a Tavares trade at 5%. He tweets a ton of stuff, but his 5% prediction is out there.

Isles have two firsts+two seconds this yr and I believe two seconds next yr. They have some quality kids moving through the prospect pipeline.Do they really need some team's 30 yr old second liner+ good prospect + another pick if there is ANY chance of extending Tavares?
Like ownership, I would take my chances.

Tankster*

Jun 18, 2016
St Jean (US export)
The blues have 4 centers better than montreals best. And the blues top winger is miles better than the habs.

Not too mention, weber showed his age last year after a hot start. He was abysmal in the second half. Too slow to keep up in this NHL.

Montreal has price though.

But the habs also have a consensus bottom 5 prospect pool in the entire league with nothing even remotely close to a blue chip guy or even a first liner/top pair d man

Sorry if we fans of Montreal don't actually take what Leafs fans say about our players seriously. Because we all know that hatred blinds our vision :laugh:

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
How does this smoke the habs lineup? You have a ton of players on that roster that aren't even playing in the nhl or aren't full-time yet

The habs lineup if they get Tavares through free agency next summer coud look like this

Pacioretty - Tavares - Drouin
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Hudon - McCarron - De la Rose

Jerabek - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Schlemko - Benn

Price

Jerabek is the only question mark. If he's not as good as he was in the khl, then just bump him down on the 3rd pairing/replace him with Davidson/Streit/Morrow and raise the other guys by 1.

This lineup fits salary cap wise.

I added them because they're all at most a year away. Schmaltz and Barbashev came up this past season. Kyrou has a chance to open the season with us with Berglund hurt. Kostin will most likely come up before the end of the year. Thompson could easily fill 4th line duty next year. Dunn most likely makes the team out of camp. Walman is at most a year away.

Plus even if they all don't make it, you still have Berglund, Sanford, Bortuzzo...

Oh and all of the prospects mentioned are top 100.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
One thing is for certain.

He is not signing a one year deal with the Isles or anyone else.

Too much risk for a player of his caliber and age. No need for it.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What would be the cost from Minnesota? Koivu and Staal are getting up there in age and the new core needs a similar aged 1C.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sorry if we fans of Montreal don't actually take what Leafs fans say about our players seriously. Because we all know that hatred blinds our vision :laugh:

You shouldn't take any other fan base seriously. (That includes yours when speaking of others).
Because they don't have your best interests at heart.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
How does this smoke the habs lineup? You have a ton of players on that roster that aren't even playing in the nhl or aren't full-time yet

The habs lineup if they get Tavares through free agency next summer coud look like this

Pacioretty - Tavares - Drouin
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Hudon - McCarron - De la Rose

Jerabek - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Schlemko - Benn

Price

Jerabek is the only question mark. If he's not as good as he was in the khl, then just bump him down on the 3rd pairing/replace him with Davidson/Streit/Morrow and raise the other guys by 1.

This lineup fits salary cap wise.

Let me ask Habs fans because you guys would definitely know better than I would in regards to how this line would be. My one question is how productive honestly was the line of Byron - Desharnais - Shaw?

I just see it as if the 3 bolded were combined they would struggle to produce with eachother. This is mainly based off of the fact that Danault had Radu/Patches as his wingers a little under half of the time he was on the ice and only had 40 points.

Byron I'm not to positive as he was generally with Plek who doesn't seem to offer much offensive upside. That being said I still believe that the Blues top 9 would be much better off with the addition of Tavares as compared to the Habs top 9 with the addition.

Realize, based off of last year you guys have lost Radulov who was one of your top producers while we lost Perron who was like 4,5 or 6 on points for our team. Maybe you can try and say it's not that much difference of a loss but Perron was a 2/3 liner where as Radu was part of your top line.

That being said the additions for the Habs are pretty much just Drouin. The Blues get Fabbri back and got Schenn to replace that god awful showing of a hockey player that Lehtera was last year.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Let me ask Habs fans because you guys would definitely know better than I would in regards to how this line would be. My one question is how productive honestly was the line of Byron - Desharnais - Shaw?

I just see it as if the 3 bolded were combined they would struggle to produce with eachother. This is mainly based off of the fact that Danault had Radu/Patches as his wingers a little under half of the time he was on the ice and only had 40 points.

Byron I'm not to positive as he was generally with Plek who doesn't seem to offer much offensive upside. That being said I still believe that the Blues top 9 would be much better off with the addition of Tavares as compared to the Habs top 9 with the addition.

Realize, based off of last year you guys have lost Radulov who was one of your top producers while we lost Perron who was like 4,5 or 6 on points for our team. Maybe you can try and say it's not that much difference of a loss but Perron was a 2/3 liner where as Radu was part of your top line.

That being said the additions for the Habs are pretty much just Drouin. The Blues get Fabbri back and got Schenn to replace that god awful showing of a hockey player that Lehtera was last year.

Danault only had 40 points because he didn't get to be on the pp (or very little). The line of Byron-DD-Shaw didn't spend time together at all (or very little) if I remember. I think both teams are pretty equal talent wise. At the end of the day, Habs and Blues fans can bicker about their team being a better fit personnel wise for Tavares but there are so many other factors to consider such as does he want to play in Canada, what about higher taxes in Quebec, does he care about the prestige of donning a Montreal Canadiens uniform and be a rockstar when the team does well or a scaping goat when the team does bad or does he want to play somewhere more subtle, does he want to move out west, how is his relationship with Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Armstrong, Yeo vs Bergevin, Julien, Weber, Price, etc. Personally, I think we're grasping at straws here because when it's all said and done, Tavares will re-sign with the Isles.

cpitcher

Jan 26, 2015
Freidorf, Romania
As a Die Hard Leafs fan, I would like to see JT sign a short term high end contract but the chances are remote as he isnt a great fit for the team with Lou running the cap. Could JT get cup hungry in his home town? Who knows. Now I laugh to see Montreal being bantered about because Price is a china doll and Weber will be ANOTHER year older and slower. Now the NYR would be interesting since they will be cleaning Nash off the books and JT will not have to leave NY. Seems like there could be a fit there. Smashville would be a long shot since its a smaller market.

cpitcher

Jan 26, 2015
Freidorf, Romania
there are so many other factors to consider such as does he want to play in Canada, what about higher taxes in Quebec

I have heard this statement too many times and its a false statement (right now). Yes, Canada has higher taxes but you are doing all your spending in Canadian money while being paid in American. When the currencies were equal, it was an advantage to most American teams but with the Canadian currency around 80%, it actually turns into an advantage to play in Canada since all your daily spending is offset against the strength of the dollar.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I have heard this statement too many times and its a false statement (right now). Yes, Canada has higher taxes but you are doing all your spending in Canadian money while being paid in American. When the currencies were equal, it was an advantage to most American teams but with the Canadian currency around 80%, it actually turns into an advantage to play in Canada since all your daily spending is offset against the strength of the dollar.

Yup....if you sign for 8 million in Canada, get paid in US dollars, that will convert to roughly 9.6 million per season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad