Proposal: Joel Edmundson to Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Kris Russell is the league's all time leader in blocked shots.

Edmundson...doesn't, though. Habs fans are just not wanting anyone else to realize he's cooked.
Because he wasn't able to break cycling in his zone, with half the reach of Edmundson.
Ok, you keep your resources, good luck with those playoffs and that first pick ! We will call Washington while you sign Russell.

Reactions: viceroy

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Because he wasn't able to break cycling in his zone, with half the reach of Edmundson.
Ok, you keep your resources, good luck with those playoffs and that first pick ! We will call Washington while you sign Russell.
Judging from his XGF% and GF% numbers, he's not very good at it either, despite his reach.

That's totally fine by me. Call anyone else that you like.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
OK, so some fans say moving the LTIR contracts don't matter and this is considered fact? Come on man.. fans just don't know the cap that well.

What about Weber on LTIR before the Habs last year and then Price on LTIR after the season started. You would think we would not be able to accrue cap space right? False. Price's contract is higher so we did accrue cap space.

How does this apply to the Oilers? It's not the same yes but I do believe that the Oilers could possibly accrue cap space if a package of Puljuarvi, Smith, and Klefbom are traded ASAP while Kane is on LTIR for a month or two. How much space? Your guess is as good as mine but you believe it doesn't create cap space. I don't think that is fact one way or another bud. But you can pretend that fans on HF boards in a popular bandwagon reveals factual information if you wish.

Oilers have $91.6M of cap hits.
* $6.367M is with Smith and Klefbom (placed on LTIR before the season I believe)
* $9.4M of this is Smith, Klefbom, and Puljujarvi
* $5.125M of that is Kane

$91.6M - $9.4M (Smith, Klefbom, and Puljuarvi) = $82.24M. That would put them below the cap so then if Kane is still on LTIR for a month or two, I do believe that accrues cap space. Probably around $1M - $2M range. This is simple guessing on my part but if true, it's a much better situation than you are in now. Riding the rest of the season with a 20 or 21 man roster is very risky. If anybody goes on IR (not LTIR) and you have to call somebody up, it chews into cap space even more and you might not be able to even ice a 20 man roster.

Edmundson at full cap hit still don't fit (I believe but not sure). At 50% and for 50% of a season, his cap hit is $875k.
You are severely overstating the amount of cap space the Oilers could accrue. Puckpedia has a very basic example that a team that started the year with 500K in cap space could add a player worth 1M at the half way point of 93 days. So by your numbers the Oilers would have 250K of cap space, and if they did everything they needed to do to get there today they would have 44 days to accrue space. We’re talking 100-200k accrued over that time not the 1-2M you are suggesting.

It’s all moot though because the other part of your hypothetical relies on Kane being on ltir for another month or two. But from reports he’s going to be in the lineup this week and possibly (unlikely) as early as tonight’s game.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I don't think Edmundson alone returns an unprotected first in this draft, but I do think there could be a future protected 1st in the deal if Montreal retains salary or makes a small add.

Edmundson + Drouin @ 50% + 3rd 2023 for Puljujarvi + Foegele + Top-10 protected 1st 2024

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think Edmundson alone returns an unprotected first in this draft, but I do think there could be a future protected 1st in the deal if Montreal retains salary or makes a small add.

Edmundson + Drouin @ 50% + 3rd 2023 for Puljujarvi + Foegele + Top-10 protected 1st 2024
...this is worse, not better. Drouin has less than zero value for us, even at 50% retained. Zero defence, zero goal scoring, and a big fat cap hit even with 50% retained? Hard no.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
6eee0738-cced-44cd-a99a-b9280eb2332c_text.gif

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This thread could be approaching its end (if people can't post respectfully), at least until we have some new evidence Oilers are interested in Joel. Tick tock

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are severely overstating the amount of cap space the Oilers could accrue. Puckpedia has a very basic example that a team that started the year with 500K in cap space could add a player worth 1M at the half way point of 93 days. So by your numbers the Oilers would have 250K of cap space, and if they did everything they needed to do to get there today they would have 44 days to accrue space. We’re talking 100-200k accrued over that time not the 1-2M you are suggesting.

It’s all moot though because the other part of your hypothetical relies on Kane being on ltir for another month or two. But from reports he’s going to be in the lineup this week and possibly (unlikely) as early as tonight’s game.

I'm not "severely overstating the amount of cap space". I'm pondering it and it's subjective but your spinning it as me saying facts. Not really. I really don't know if my number is correct or if yours is. I don't believe we can calculate this accurately as fans. Its a very complicated formula.

But at least you finally showed your own calculation. Something that was avoided up until now.

My math was a 7 month season where I prorated Kane's cap hit for 2 months. 2/7 = 28.6%. 28.6% x $5.125M = $1.46M. No idea if that is close or not. I'm sure you will tell me how flawed that is? I'm open to it.

Kane is that close?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
...this is worse, not better. Drouin has less than zero value for us, even at 50% retained. Zero defence, zero goal scoring, and a big fat cap hit even with 50% retained? Hard no.
I don't see why EDM would want him, either.... if he has to be pawned off to Arizona with a pick to make the trade work, that's already more likely than cap-constrained Edmonton taking him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Edmundson might have a ton of value to a team looking for a #5 defender to round out there solid team.
Edmundson has far less value to a team like the Oilers who at bare minimum need one more guy much better than Edmundson and our assets are much much much better spent to that end.

Could Edmundson for a late 1st be good or fair value? To the right team, sure.
To Edmonton? Not a chance.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
you guys paid us a 2nd for a worst player last deadline...

I don't think Kulak is a worse player at this point. Last year coming off a Cup Final run Edmundson had value, but his play has been absolutely terrible since. Maybe the Habs can fleece the Panthers again with a trade, they could use the help.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not "severely overstating the amount of cap space". I'm pondering it and it's subjective but your spinning it as me saying facts. Not really. I really don't know if my number is correct or if yours is. I don't believe we can calculate this accurately as fans. Its a very complicated formula.

But at least you finally showed your own calculation. Something that was avoided up until now.

My math was a 7 month season where I prorated Kane's cap hit for 2 months. 2/7 = 28.6%. 28.6% x $5.125M = $1.46M. No idea if that is close or not. I'm sure you will tell me how flawed that is? I'm open to it.

Kane is that close?
Kane is playing tonight.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Kane is that close?

Kane is that close?
Ok well your pondering of “probably around 1M-2M” is severely off the mark as I demonstrated to you in my last post. While the calculations are extremely complex we can use the example given by puckpedia to get a ballpark number. A team has 500k in space to start the year, after 93 days (half the season) they would of accrued an additional 500k (roughly as this number can be changed as the teams daily cap number changes due to injuries, players being called up/sent down.

So if the Oilers had 250k of space between now and the deadline (44 days) that’s half the space and half the time of the example given at puckpedia so it stands to reason that the Oilers would accrue less then half of the 500K that team theoretically would of accrued.

Anything to do with Kanes cap hit is moot as he’s been activated from LTIR today , but even if you assumed the Oilers made all these moves when he got injured and stretched the timeline all the way back to when Kane first went on LTIR which would be roughly 70 days ago the amount they would of accrued would be less then 500k, it’s not an amount that’s going to allow them much wiggle room for making moves.

At the end of the day the bottom line beyond getting into cap implications is that Edmundson just isn’t a good fit for the spot the Oilers need to fill and wasting any amount cap space or trade chips on him is just preventing them from properly filling that need.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Eddy isn't going anywhere. Not until management has a better idea of where our 4 young D are headed.

The only way Eddy is traded is if Baron is ready for the big show and that's not the case yet.
Or Habs get an offer than can't refuse for him at the TDL.

Trading Eddy without getting a serviceable D back weakens our D core considerably.
Exactly. Habs should keep him around for another year to insulate the youngsters unless they get a ridiculous offer this deadline.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Of course you got more for Chairot. People thought he could be a 2/3 defenseman on a contender. Edmundson is heavy...but based on his play this year I have a hard time believing that GM's are lining up for him for any more than a depth role.
We know what we have in Edmunston. He'll return a first. Solid NHL defenseman, has a ring, signed cheap next year. There's too much there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok well your pondering of “probably around 1M-2M” is severely off the mark as I demonstrated to you in my last post. While the calculations are extremely complex we can use the example given by puckpedia to get a ballpark number. A team has 500k in space to start the year, after 93 days (half the season) they would of accrued an additional 500k (roughly as this number can be changed as the teams daily cap number changes due to injuries, players being called up/sent down.

So if the Oilers had 250k of space between now and the deadline (44 days) that’s half the space and half the time of the example given at puckpedia so it stands to reason that the Oilers would accrue less then half of the 500K that team theoretically would of accrued.

Anything to do with Kanes cap hit is moot as he’s been activated from LTIR today , but even if you assumed the Oilers made all these moves when he got injured and stretched the timeline all the way back to when Kane first went on LTIR which would be roughly 70 days ago the amount they would of accrued would be less then 500k, it’s not an amount that’s going to allow them much wiggle room for making moves.

At the end of the day the bottom line beyond getting into cap implications is that Edmundson just isn’t a good fit for the spot the Oilers need to fill and wasting any amount cap space or trade chips on him is just preventing them from properly filling that need.

I hope the Oilers are able to make moves. Seems difficult.

Didn't realize Kane was returning that quickly. Nice to see him back.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Name me one team that would give up a first round pick in 2023 draft for Edmundson..
I think Edmonton, Washington, Toronto, New Jersey and Winnipeg would be 5 candidate I could see that make a pitch for Edmundson and from that list I could see at least two that puts a protected first on the table

Reactions: viceroy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad