Proposal: Joel Edmundson to Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If I'm Hughes, I'm looking for a 1st with 25% retention at most.

22e51bec20b860f7f77733af497c2f4f.png

He's in a class of his own right now.
Playing with 4-5 rookies on D on any given night with no goaltending and 1 line while handling all the hard matchups and defensive zone starts. What do you expect?

Reactions: viceroy

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Playing with 4-5 rookies on D on any given night with no goaltending and 1 line while handling all the hard matchups and defensive zone starts. What do you expect?
He was even worse when he wasn't up with Savard.

This ain't a usage thing. He's horrendous and has been for a few years.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Why don't you take a gander at the blueline he would be going to. If he can't stabilize a defense pair when paired with one of 4-5 rookies, he probably isn't going to look much better on a blueline with 3 rookies (Broberg, Desharnais, Neimelainen), or one of our other guys who tend to be exposed defensively. We want someone who can help thise rookies and guys who jump into the rush.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Why don't you take a gander at the blueline he would be going to. If he can't stabilize a defense pair when paired with one of 4-5 rookies, he probably isn't going to look much better on a blueline with 3 rookies (Broberg, Desharnais, Neimelainen), or one of our other guys who tend to be exposed defensively. We want someone who can help thise rookies and guys who jump into the rush.
I wasn't responding to the thread in general, just what I would ask for the player.

Finding a defenseman to help Edmonton seems almost as rough as finding someone to help Montreal. Mediocre goaltending doesn't help either. However, Edmonton also has the forwards to keep hold of the puck and not have constant pressure against them too. Connor McDavid.

If Kulak can do it, Edmundson can definitely do it considering the large gap between them.

There's also a difference between stabilizing a defensive pair with a rookie and stabilizing a defensive pair with a rookie who 99% of the time plays against the Ovechkins and McDavids of the world.

Reactions: viceroy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Habs retain half you might get a 1st round pick. I'm guessing Edmundson stays a Hab until next year given the rumored asking price. It's a heavy price tag for a bottom pair defenseman.
I'd retain half on Edmunston to get higher first. Same as renting caproom next year. Deal him to fringe playoff team for protected first. If that team gets to third round or more we get 2nd in '24 Draft.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Edmundson is a beast and on a good contract. You win cups with big rugged dudes like him in your top 4 + he's great in the locker room. Easily fetches a first if he's healthy.
Why dobt you keep him then.

And yeah, that "if healthy". You drag down the price imidieatly.

No one wants him, maybe for a 2nd.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Amazing he doing all this heavy lifting at only 15.00 TOI a night

Last edited:
Reactions: capazzo

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Why are Habs fans expecting so much value for a player who has played so poor the last 2 years ?
Every insider is saying "IF" Habs management trades him they'll get a 1st back... :dunno:

It is also in line with what GMs have been paying for big rugged defenseman at the TDL.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Amazing he doing all this heavy lift at only 15.00 TOI a night
The problem with his stats is he's way over his head right now. On a good team, he wouldn't have the face the best forwards every night. In that role, he's shown to be very capable. Specifically in the playoffs. But yeah, he's not having the best season, hard to evaluate players individually on bad teams. For example, Seth Jones is a good hockey player, but his advanced stats are shit... doesn't depict the player's true value/impact.

DarksideGhost

Apr 9, 2014
Edmonton
After reading the Edmundson overall performance in the hab reddit page and coming here. Trading Edmundson to Oilers for a 1st is the equivalent to Hab trying to sell snake oil to Oilers for Gold. Edmundson has performed so poorly in these last few years. He is project on downward trend as he ages. Why is habs fan pushing this while knowing there own players plays poorly and asking for a crazy return??

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Every insider is saying "IF" Habs management trades him they'll get a 1st back... :dunno:

It is also in line with what GMs have been paying for big rugged defenseman at the TDL.
what im seeing is that's what habs GM is asking and other teams are laughing. so it just seems like habs management is just as delusional as the fans. Edmundson is not good. hasn't been for a couple years now

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The problem with his stats is he's way over his head right now. On a good team, he wouldn't have the face the best forwards every night. In that role, he's shown to be very capable. Specifically in the playoffs. But yeah, he's not having the best season, hard to evaluate players individually on bad teams. For example, Seth Jones is a good hockey player, but his advanced stats are shit... doesn't depict the player's true value/impact.
Funny how when the Oilers were bad this rule did not apply to them.

Not sure where you get your stats, he plays 20:24 per game.
See the above charts which you already commented on. Posted by a mod.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
what im seeing is that's what habs GM is asking and other teams are laughing. so it just seems like habs management is just as delusional as the fans. Edmundson is not good. hasn't been for a couple years now
How do you know that?
Teams mostly wait to the TDL to make trades in order to maximize cap space... no trades are happening now, many will on TDL day.

Here are respectable insider/media I'm referring to :

The official value of Joel Edmundson is revealed by Pierre LeBrun and it's huge!

Canadiens' Edmundson a Desirable Trade Target

NHL Rumors: What can the Montreal Canadiens get for Joel Edmundson? - NHL Rumors

Reactions: pth2

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

It's not a rule by any means, but I totally get what you are saying. There are tons of stats watchers, and bad teams normally generate bad individual stats. It's not bad to stat watch, but don't act like you know the player better then anyone else... Then there are the trolls too...

Reactions: pth2

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Well the mod has wrong or selective stats then, lol. He's only played under 17 minutes once this season in a game which he was given a misconduct. Most games he's well over 20, but he has had some lighter duties since he's been in and out of the lineup the past two seasons with injuries.

I actually have no idea what that image is showing. It has Seth Jones at 18 minutes per game, when he definitely plays almost 25.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Well the mod has wrong or selective stats then, lol. He's only played under 17 minutes once this season in a game which he was given a misconduct. Most games he's well over 20, but he has had some lighter duties since he's been in and out of the lineup the past two seasons with injuries.

I actually have no idea what that image is showing. It has Seth Jones at 18 minutes per game, when he definitely plays almost 25.
Even strength only, perhaps?

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
You may want to look at Hughes track record during his short tenure. I can assure you that other GM’s aren’t laughing at him. He’s done remarkably well, and maximized value whenever possible.

You may also want to look into how things like proper punctuation and capitalization help make your posts appear more credible.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Edmundston is exactly the D stabilizator Edmonton needs, he can be a good 4th defenseman when healthy, rock solid defensively, great reach/size, decent at moving the puck, good leader, great for kids ect. You give a 1st for 2 seasons of Edmundson at a reasonable cap hit.
We alreqdy have a def. Repsonsible D now with desharnias. Who has no injuriy history or concerns. So we keep our 1st. Thank you

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
This is the same kind of nonsense post that was in the Chiarot, Toffoli, Lehkonen threads and then the poster disappeared once The Habs got close to exactly what Habs fans said they would.....

Anyways Ill play along.

1. Do you have a link that says other GMs are laughing at Hughes?
2. You understand that Habs fans didn't just make this up right? We are going by what true insiders have said and by recent comparable player trades.
3. The Habs are under no stress to deal Edmundson this season. They can wait it out if they want.

Ledge And Dairy

If he gets moved, just like with Chiarot, there won't be a fanbase that wants to move a 1st for him.

It doesn't mean he won't get one, but I doubt any fanbase on here will want to pay it.
Well Edmundson doesn't provide the same intangibles that made Chiarot so appealing. His only advantage is the extra year of term, but that can be offset if Montreal doesn't retain 50%.

Not to mention teams tend to learn from others recent mistakes or successes. The Manson trade should have set the market on Chiarot and similarly should be setting the market on Edmundson. Hell I would say Manson is a member ch closer style player than Chiarot too. Something like Carter Savoie + a 2nd seems way closer than a 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad