Proposal: Joel Edmundson to Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think Kulak is a worse player at this point. Last year coming off a Cup Final run Edmundson had value, but his play has been absolutely terrible since. Maybe the Habs can fleece the Panthers again with a trade, they could use the help.

Edmundson has not been "absolutely terrible" since the cup run. If you have to exaggerate, you don't have a good point. "Absolutely" eh? :facepalm:

Habs know both Kulak and Edmundson well. If we proposed a Kulak for a 2nd last year, Oilers fans would be ridiculing that trade as well. I like Kulak and I knew he would help the Oilers but he's not better than Edmundson.

Edmundson is not trending as well as Chiarot last year but you will assume that as "absolutely terrible". Come on man.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah, with Desharnais up, I think any need there was (which wasn’t much) for an Edmundson-level defenseman has evaporated.

Reactions: Canovin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, with Desharnais up, I think any need there was (which wasn’t much) for an Edmundson-level defenseman has evaporated.

That's because you think Edmundson is not better than Kulak and is close to Desharnais? :facepalm:.

Forget about Eddy for a second... Any narrative where you think the Oilers current D helps them go on a run is a massive reach. Desharnais being called up is the solution? Come on man

Reactions: viceroy

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I don't think Kulak is a worse player at this point. Last year coming off a Cup Final run Edmundson had value, but his play has been absolutely terrible since. Maybe the Habs can fleece the Panthers again with a trade, they could use the help.
this post is complete bullshit :facepalm: and like EDM doesnt need help.... 2 best players in the NHL and cant do nothing with them

Reactions: viceroy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
imagine if we told EDM fans last deadline that they were gonna pay us a 2nd for Kulak :laugh:

Yup. Exactly what I am thinking. Kulak would have been rag dolled in value and Oilers fans would not believe us when we told them he is a good bottom pairing guy. Narrative being spinned back at us would be he is only worth a 5th or 6th rounder.

Now today, they are using him on the 2nd pairing and trying to tell us he is better than Edmundson? And Habs fans are the ones who are not making sense when we know both players very well? :loony:

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Yup. Exactly what I am thinking. Kulak would have been rag dolled in value and Oilers fans would not believe us when we told them he is a good bottom pairing guy. Narrative being spinned back at us would be he is only worth a 5th or 6th rounder.

Now today, they are using him on the 2nd pairing and trying to tell us he is better than Edmundson? And Habs fans are the ones who are not making sense when we know both players very well? :loony:
exactly in what world is Kulak better then Edmundson :facepalm:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think Edmonton, Washington, Toronto, New Jersey and Winnipeg would be 5 candidate I could see that make a pitch for Edmundson and from that list I could see at least two that puts a protected first on the table
There are plenty of (super)stars that could be available from teams going hard for Bedard and there aren't many teams that would be giving up their 1st this year. A GM that gives up a 1st for someone like Edmundson would look pretty dumb when guys like Kane, ROR, Chychrun, Provorov , Toews, Tarasenko, Dumba, Horvat and a whole lot of others might not return one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trading a first for Edmundson would be a terrible decision. Just like trading a first for Chariot.

GMs will eventually figure it out

No, GM's won't figure it out. You're getting into the trap of not wanting to pay the high price and think no other team should, so the market should go down in trade value. This is not a fair value narrative. It's a supply/demand and if you don't want to pay high prices, you will have to focus on another Kulak type trade. But you won't be the only one trying that angle. Kulak did fly under the radar last season but still returned a 2nd and a 7th rounder.

Teams heading into the playoffs always want to make improvements and they will fight each other to get their targets. And in the last two deadlines, the available cap for those top teams is very limited. Might be even worse this season. So guys like Edmundson being available at 50% retention with an extra year in term is a cap space strategy.

I can respect the Oilers saying they don't want to pay a 1st for a steady eddy type on D. Habs fans might say the exact same thing if we are a playoff team in a few years. Totally understand the Oilers approach but this is just normal business and it's a matter of perception. Pay the price or don't. Don't bother trying to devalue the player when you don't want to pay the price. That's a stupid game. Not saying you are doing this but some are.

Reactions: Rob Sense

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
There are plenty of (super)stars that could be available from teams going hard for Bedard and there aren't many teams that would be giving up their 1st this year. A GM that gives up a 1st for someone like Edmundson would look pretty dumb when guys like Kane, ROR, Chychrun, Provorov , Toews, Tarasenko, Dumba, Horvat and a whole lot of others might not return one.

Didn’t St-Louis said they were not selling at the deadline after all? Also, if a team is focused on adding on D instead of F then Kane, Horvat and Toews doesn’t make any sense at all.

That leaves you with Provorov, Chychrun, Gravikov, Ghost and Edmundson. I expect both Provorov and Chychrun deal to make more sense at the draft rather than the deadline and these are the kind of D that will cost you multiple high-end assets (rumored price for Chychrun is ~4x 1st round pick?) and I expect Provorov ask to also be quite huge.

I don’t want to say team X has to overpay to get player Y but in terms of D-man that aren’t #6-7-8, there’s not much on the market right now

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I hope the Oilers are able to make moves. Seems difficult.

Didn't realize Kane was returning that quickly. Nice to see him back.
As in true Oilers fashion they’ve started playing better, stringing wins together and some of their younger defenders have really been playing well as of late. These things will of course muddy the waters for them heading into the deadline.

Broberg really seems to be coming into his own, the coaching staff is trusting him in key situations, he’s been very poised moving the puck and defended well. Bouchard is starting to look like the player he was last year and Desharnais has come in and given them a similar game that Edmundson brings. He’s been a very steady defender, he’s huge and he is an absolute savage in front of the net and the corners.

So all this on its face is good news but it’s also kind of scary because Holland isn’t usually one to make a big splash and this recent stretch of good play could dissuade him from making the big move he really should still make.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Edmundson was traded for a 5th round pick. Has not been better since and you guys are expecting the Oilers to pay a 1st in one of the deepest draft? lol

We get it. You guys want the highest chance at Bedard
That's right, and its hilarious actually. What has he done since that trade to boost his value? His playoff run with the Habs won't have boosted his value at all. It's literally just the extra year on his deal that takes him from being worth a late pick to a 1st then? I don't think so.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
exactly in what world is Kulak better then Edmundson :facepalm:
The present one. He's a #4 defenseman on one of the worst teams in the league. It's a given that if the puck is on his stick it's going to be "iced" or passed right to the opposition. Prove me wrong
Exactly. Habs should keep him around for another year to insulate the youngsters unless they get a ridiculous offer this deadline.
You need that player that is so bad that no one notices the youngsters mistakes

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I can respect the Oilers saying they don't want to pay a 1st for a steady eddy type on D. Habs fans might say the exact same thing if we are a playoff team in a few years. Totally understand the Oilers approach but this is just normal business and it's a matter of perception. Pay the price or don't. Don't bother trying to devalue the player when you don't want to pay the price. That's a stupid game. Not saying you are doing this but some are.
There isn't a metric that says Edmundson has been stead eddy this year.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I watched Kulak a lot in junior and Calgary, and was very critical of the trade because I didn’t realize just how much he had progressed in Montreal. I still feel we overpaid, but he’s a good #5. Imo, a 3rd would have been closer value, but so be it. That said, imo, Edmundson is more just a different style, than really much better. He’s probably a hair better, but neither is someone I’d want in the top 4. So if we’re going to spend significant assets on a #4/5, most fans would rather just spend the extra for a guy like Chychrun

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I watched Kulak a lot in junior and Calgary, and was very critical of the trade because I didn’t realize just how much he had progressed in Montreal. I still feel we overpaid, but he’s a good #5. Imo, a 3rd would have been closer value, but so be it. That said, imo, Edmundson is more just a different style, than really much better. He’s probably a hair better, but neither is someone I’d want in the top 4. So if we’re going to spend significant assets on a #4/5, most fans would rather just spend the extra for a guy like Chychrun

Kulak to me was that type that needed more maturity time. He had periods of very good play and then periods of poor play that left you wondering. Lots of players take a while to figure things out and provide value in the age 25+ or 27+ age ranges.

Don't worry, even some Habs fans were critical of Kulak. I valued him cause he is a big boy that skates well. His issues was about maturity and experience. Takes time sometimes.

Edmundson is better than Kulak. Eddy can play both sides very well but is a boring type. Doesn't produce much offense but is very mobile and physical. Knows how to play the position very well and makes the little things look easy. He's also the type who has lots of playoff experience and his style of game is well suited for the playoffs cause he is allowed to play more physical. Definitely a guy you want to play with vs against.... especially in the playoffs.

If you can pull off a trade to get Chychrun, you should do it. He provides more value than Edmundson at both ends. And comes with more term but man, that cost is crazy. Oilers are at a point where futures don't help McDavid's prime. Hurts to trade them but Oilers need improvements now but have cap issues. I feel for you guys (regardless if you trade for Eddy or not). I do wish you luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: malcb33

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs traded a 5th to get negotiating rights with a UFA... who then was part of our top 4 for a run to the Finals.

Nice try.

Remember when fans tried to tell us what Toffoli's value was? They tried to say Toffoli's value was the same as what the Canucks paid to get him as a pending UFA and ignored how he was not trending as well then vs 2 years later with the Habs and had extra term and on a value contract.

Some fans have the nerve to belittle Habs fans and are hypocrites. Habs fans know what we got with Edmundson and we know what he can do in the playoffs. If he sucked or was not effective, we would admit it. What I will say is Eddy is not trending as well as Chiarot did last year. Comes with an extra year in term though and I do think the Habs are open to retention if we get our asking price.

Reactions: Rob Sense and pth2

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
What Edmundson is worth is ultimately what someone is willing to pay. Mtl does not need to trade him, he is still under contract for next year so no pressure to move him or take the best lowball offer out there.

Smart GMs trade for what they need, not necessarily the best player or (super)star who may be had as a rental.

Edm leads the league in goals. They have RNH and Hyman over a point a game. They have the best forward in the world and maybe the 2nd best in McDavaid and Drai. They have Kane coming back who will be close to a point a game guy. The last thing the need is another forward. Kane, ROR, Toews, Tarasenko need not apply. Given they are in a WC position in the weakest conference they need something. That something is is a D-man preferable one who actual plays defense. Is that Edmundson, maybe or maybe not.

Oilers have very little cap flexibility- most teams don't. It's made worse this year by the fact that very few 3rd teams have space for double retention. How will that impact things, maybe the guys who get the bigger haul are those with manageable cap hits.
Not saying Edmundson gets a 1st but don't be surprised if he gets more than you thought if moved. Look at what a successful team like Tampa has paid for pieces at the last few deadlines and look at what those pieces are. They are not superstars but rather dependable depth pieces on manageable cap hits and they paid a small fortune to get them.

LY Nick Paul for Joseph and a 4th
LY Hagel for 2 firsts and 2 players seems like a lot but he was cheap and cost controlled for future years
2021 deadline David Savard for a 1st and 3rd plus bits to Det for retention- again not a star but he fit a need
2020 Barccley Goodrow for a 1st
2020 Coleman for a 1st and former 1st rounder foote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad