Player Discussion: Joel Armia - Part II

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
His TOI will probably go even lower with Matthias&Hendrix.

Maurice really don't make things any easier for him.

Another thing which I disagree with Mo, is the callup for Roslo.

You are in a run for playoffs, your no.1 center goes down, you have one of the best centers in the Ahl in farm and you don't call him up.

This might and hopefully will change if we don't start to win right away with the new lineup.

I certainly agree with this Jesui--on the "no callup" for Roslo, and so do many other posters on here, that would like to see what he can do !!!

You have one of the hottest players in the AHL, and you don't call him up ?? and your playing guys like Hendricks and Mathias ??? does this make any sense ???

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
His TOI will probably go even lower with Matthias&Hendrix.
It's guarantee that he will have much lower TOI with those guys. Something like 5min EV + 2min PP/PK. Looking forward to see The Operation Shut Down Army Joe Vol... I lost the count. :popcorn:

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Are you kidding me? Well this just confirms what I've thought about Maurice, he doesn't re-evaluate his talent. He just boxes you in to some category and with Armia that's "Bottom 6 grinder". Has Armia ever gotten a chance on the top lines?
The closest thing to a top line chance was 2 years ago he had a game with Ehlers and Perreault at centre they had a great game.The team struggled the next game and Armia has not had a sniff since.Dano has had multiple opportunities I have been screaming for 2 years to give Army a chance yes he can be inconsistent but so are a lot of players his defensive game is strong enough to help any top line and when he gots hot you just enjoy the ride.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Armia played a great game, I feel like he definitely earned a shot at playing 3rd line minutes based on that performance. At times it appears as if there's something within him, looking to break out from what he has been projected to be. Similar to another Finn in Erik Haula, at Vegas, who has turned out to be a much better player than the 3rd/4th line grinder that he used to be, for Minnesota.

I don't see him being "discouraged" though even if he's not given more responsibility by the coach. He seems like a guy that is willing to play whatever position he is given, without complaints. Perhaps to his detriment, at times.

For as long as he stays with the Jets, he will do whatever he is asked, and he is going to do it well. But I think, for his career, he might be better off in a team less stacked with talent, where he is given more opportunities to play top minutes.

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
I kinda think of him as our new Frolik.
Last year right before he got injured, he had a few games where he was dominating in all areas (like yesterday). Looked like one of our best players. To me it seems like he lacks the confidence to really get going.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I kinda think of him as our new Frolik.
Last year right before he got injured, he had a few games where he was dominating in all areas (like yesterday). Looked like one of our best players. To me it seems like he lacks the confidence to really get going.

I don't think it's a confidence issue so much as it is Armia being a product of Finnish hockey culture. Players like Laine are ultimately the exception, most Finns play with a more humble mentality and work hard to play according to the coach's wishes, without making much noise.

If Armia is asked to be a shutdown guy, a sturdy 4th liner who is solid if unspectacular in keeping his own net clean, then that's what he's going to be. If the coach demands him to score more goals and accept more responsibility, then he would do his best to fill that role, too. Currently, he's not really being asked to fill that kind of a role.

Armia to me just doesn't come off as a guy that has any big highs or lows. I think he's just a solid, dependable guy that will do whatever he is asked to do. It is up to Maurice to gauge what sort of potential he truly has. If he thinks that Armia's ceiling is to be a 4th line grinder then that is fine, but I believe he might have the potential to be more than that.

It is worth a shot to give him a few looks atleast, every now and then, to show what he has.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I don't think it's a confidence issue so much as it is Armia being a product of Finnish hockey culture. Players like Laine are ultimately the exception, most Finns play with a more humble mentality and work hard to play according to the coach's wishes, without making much noise.

If Armia is asked to be a shutdown guy, a sturdy 4th liner who is solid if unspectacular in keeping his own net clean, then that's what he's going to be. If the coach demands him to score more goals and accept more responsibility, then he would do his best to fill that role, too. Currently, he's not really being asked to fill that kind of a role.

Armia to me just doesn't come off as a guy that has any big highs or lows. I think he's just a solid, dependable guy that will do whatever he is asked to do. It is up to Maurice to gauge what sort of potential he truly has. If he thinks that Armia's ceiling is to be a 4th line grinder then that is fine, but I believe he might have the potential to be more than that.

It is worth a shot to give him a few looks atleast, every now and then, to show what he has.

Lets not forget how Armia was before he was sent to NA. Joel Armia is Artist, very offensive player. Theres no way one would've imagined he'd make a stay as defensive forward.

Reactions: BullLund

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Armia played a great game, I feel like he definitely earned a shot at playing 3rd line minutes based on that performance. At times it appears as if there's something within him, looking to break out from what he has been projected to be. Similar to another Finn in Erik Haula, at Vegas, who has turned out to be a much better player than the 3rd/4th line grinder that he used to be, for Minnesota.

I don't see him being "discouraged" though even if he's not given more responsibility by the coach. He seems like a guy that is willing to play whatever position he is given, without complaints. Perhaps to his detriment, at times.

For as long as he stays with the Jets, he will do whatever he is asked, and he is going to do it well. But I think, for his career, he might be better off in a team less stacked with talent, where he is given more opportunities to play top minutes.

Or play on a stacked team that actually plays it’s top talent instead of a grinding 3rd and 4th line style.

Reactions: Trilliann

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hey guys, just curious as to what this guys trade value would be? The Flames are dying for a player like him. Would something around Rasmus Andersson be of interest.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
That would be a great trade but I like Rasmus quite a bit. You guys would end up getting frolik 2.0, that's probably how he'd end up playing for you guys.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That would be a great trade but I like Rasmus quite a bit. You guys would end up getting frolik 2.0, that's probably how he'd end up playing for you guys.

Which is fine. We are just desperately needing a RHS, RW. I like Armia because he fits the age of our core, he has size, can skate and has skill and upside. He would likely get an opportunity to play with Monahan and Gaudreau. But if he ended up as Frolik, I’d be super happy with that.

I think Andersson will be a top 4, maybe top 3 dman. He’s also NHL ready right now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hey guys, just curious as to what this guys trade value would be? The Flames are dying for a player like him. Would something around Rasmus Andersson be of interest.

You guys seem to have and excess of very good D prospects and we have an excess of forward depth. I liked Andersson in his draft year but have lost touch with his development, how is he progressing?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Which is fine. We are just desperately needing a RHS, RW. I like Armia because he fits the age of our core, he has size, can skate and has skill and upside. He would likely get an opportunity to play with Monahan and Gaudreau. But if he ended up as Frolik, I’d be super happy with that.

I think Andersson will be a top 4, maybe top 3 dman. He’s also NHL ready right now.

By the way thank you for not coming in and low balling. You came in with what I consider to be a very balanced idea for both sides. I realize this is the make believe world but it’s fun when it actually makes some sense. Usually it is a mind numbing exercise in futility.

Reactions: FinJetster

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You guys seem to have and excess of very good D prospects and we have an excess of forward depth. I liked Andersson in his draft year but have lost touch with his development, how is he progressing?

He’s developed very well. The only thing that kept Andersson from being drafted out of the 1st round was his fitness. Well he’s addressed that, he’s lost his excess body fat, he’s our top dman in Stockton. I would describe Andersson as a poorman’s Doughty. He’s decent in his own end, has good size, is quite a good skater and has deceptive speed, makes a tremendous first pass and has really good vision. He also has excellent offensive instincts. Honestly, once he adds a little more strength and speed, he’s going to be a very good dman that can produce.

The Flames have Dougie, Hamonic and Stone all on the right side and all are signed for multi-years. The we have Andersson and Fox on the right side prospect wise, and Valimaki and Kylington on the left. There’s also Kulak who’s a young LH dman that finally emerged this year could become a top 4 dman. So we have lots of depth. I know many Flames fans feel Andersson is the best of bunch, I’d offer him up because he would actually fetch us something we could use to fill a hole up front.

And no problem, I usually try to do my best to think of reasonable trade ideas.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
You came in with what I consider to be a very balanced idea for both sides. I realize this is the make believe world but it’s fun when it actually makes some sense. Usually it is a mind numbing exercise in futility.
I have to agree. Deal like that could end up very good for both teams and players. Makes almost too much sense.

E: Forgot that Rasmus is RHD. That's the only minus i guess.

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I'm a little bit annoyed that the team is not more interested in this guy.

The Armia-line scored exactly as many goals as CSW in the last month in half the ice time (with a lot worse opposition obviously).

Now there is an opening on the team and Armia is still a 4th scrub with all adjustments made.

Let's just say I'm running out of conspiracy theories...

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm a little bit annoyed that the team is not more interested in this guy.

The Armia-line scored exactly as many goals as CSW in the last month in half the ice time (with a lot worse opposition obviously).

Now there is an opening on the team and Armia is still a 4th scrub with all adjustments made.

Let's just say I'm running out of conspiracy theories...
Matty P is why that line has been so dominant. He deserves top 6 first.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have to agree. Deal like that could end up very good for both teams and players. Makes almost too much sense.

E: Forgot that Rasmus is RHD. That's the only minus i guess.

With Buff’s age,Myers heading into the last year of his contract next season and his health challenges, and Trouba’s Status I kind of like the idea of adding a high end RHD emerging asset.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
With Buff’s age,Myers heading into the last year of his contract next season and his health challenges, and Trouba’s Status I kind of like the idea of adding a high end RHD emerging asset.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn't concerned with our RD situation going forward. Lots of question marks and adding a guy that is ready to step could really help for the future.

Yes he does. But Armia also deserves to be on Lowry's line over Tanev. The Lowry line has been good, but it showed yesterday how much better they can be with Armia IMO. Throw out Hendricks Tanev Matthias and let Armia thrive.

Adding Armia to Copp and Lowry could really put that line over the top. With their defense combined with some more offense from adding Armia it would almost be comparable to a 2nd line.

Nope, not even close. That's maybe one quarter of the truth.

Ummm, ok... :huh:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I’d be lying if I said I wasn't concerned with our RD situation going forward. Lots of question marks and adding a guy that is ready to step could really help for the future.

Adding Armia to Copp and Lowry could really put that line over the top. With their defense combined with some more offense from adding Armia it would almost be comparable to a 2nd line.

Ummm, ok... :huh:

Looks like Armia gets one game there based on line rushes today. He has really earned it with his play the last few games, I hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad