Player Discussion: Joel Armia - Part II

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I also get that vibe from Armia -- it's one of the reasons he appeals to me as a player -- but he seems to be well-liked by his teammates based on the practices and pregame skates I've seen. I suspect the media doesn't seek him out -- there's enough big personalities on the team that he can stay out of the limelight without anyone noticing, IMO

Believe it or not, Armia kind of came into the NHL with the reputation of a show-boat. I think his experience at Buffalo Sabres, struggling to even make the NHL roster, was a humbling experience.

He has realized that you do not make it in the NHL with your own confidence alone. The real problem is convincing everybody else that you're as good as you think you are. And Armia is slowly beginning to accomplish that. Not by talking a big game, but by working hard every shift and turning his doubters into believers with each game that he plays.

This was Armia in his younger days:

Reactions: ps241

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
The Hendricks Experience did wonders for Wheeler and Buff last game.

I knew someone would point to the one undisciplined game. Then why do all announcers rave about the newfound discipline the Jets have? The Jets are tight defensively nowadays and it’s pretty rare for them to be short handed. It’s a complete turnaround from last season.

But of course posters on this forum know better than anyone else in the world, including the people who get paid for it.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I knew someone would point to the one undisciplined game. Then why do all announcers rave about the newfound discipline the Jets have? The Jets are tight defensively nowadays and it’s pretty rare for them to be short handed. It’s a complete turnaround from last season.

But of course posters on this forum know better than anyone else in the world, including the people who get paid for it.

One game? Just curious, how many fingers do you have?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
One game? Just curious, how many fingers do you have?

How many games have you watched this season? The Jets are not an undisciplined team anymore. Of course penalties (even stupid ones) happen but Jets are no longer an anomalous team in that regard. Almost every road game the announcers attribute Jets’ recent resurgence to no longer being one of the most penalized teams and to the defensive diligigence.

boanst

May 25, 2013
How many games have you watched this season? The Jets are not an undisciplined team anymore. Of course penalties (even stupid ones) happen but Jets are no longer an anomalous team in that regard. Almost every road game the announcers attribute Jets’ recent resurgence to no longer being one of the most penalized teams and to the defensive diligigence.
Jets are still a top 5 team in times shorthanded this year, last year they were #3.

Reactions: Board Bard

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I actually see a lot of Frolik in Armia. Can play any zone, PK or PP and not look out of place. A bit more potential offensively. not as strong defensively, yet.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Wait, I thought you couldn't produce offense with plugs?

:laugh:

Never once called Armia a plug. I'm a fan.

4bUV7Ls.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->