Player Discussion: Joel Armia - Part II

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Penny wise-pound foolish. He'd be gone in a flash after those 2 years, for nothing.
Trust me, I know all about the cap--it's going up, apparently-- and have been pretty conservative and accurate playing armchair GM.
Armia is the most under-rated player here since Bryan Little. He is not your typical bottom 6 winger, any more than Perreault is. Speaking of whom, when the Jets signed Perreault for $3Mx3 (>$3.5M in projected 2018 dollars) , he was 26 and envisioned as a middle six C, likely behind Little and Scheifele. He thrived and is now costing them, as an almost 30 year old, $>4M AAV. Armia is 2 years younger than Perreault was when he first signed here and is just entering his prime. You have identify such players before they break out and sign them LT for an AAV that gets cheaper by the year.

He definitly is underrated but I am still not keen on signing him long term unless you get an absolute bargain on the deal. We can't afford multiple high priced depth players given that we already have one in Perrault and you just know the org will likely do something like 4 at 4 for Lowry.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
What did i say? when he gets the chance he can contribute big time...he was a goal scorer back in Europe before coming to NA. He knows how to play offensive game. He won't be going for 2 mill a year...he will play elsewhere if that is the case.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
His 2nd goal felt like a SH tally even though it was 5 on 5.
When Armia, Connor and some one like Roslovic start contributing top 6 level production it makes the Jets unstoppable. 3 top 6 lines and one of the most effective checking lines in the league.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What did i say? when he gets the chance he can contribute big time...he was a goal scorer back in Europe before coming to NA. He knows how to play offensive game. He won't be going for 2 mill a year...he will play elsewhere if that is the case.
Joel is a restricted free agent at the end of this season. He doesn't have a lot of leverage.

Reactions: GNP

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Mo said that while Mark is gone Perreault and Armia has to take big step forward. Yeah, right. Perreault moves up, Armia stays on 4th line with Hendricks & Matthias and his TOI will be reduced. That's the reality, unfortunately.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Maybe Wheeler moves to center and Joel takes his rw spot on the first line. that is what I would do.
Is that what happened in last game? Thought I saw Armia with Wheeler and Connor there, but didn't know Scheif was injured (I was only watching the condenced highlights).

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Mo said that while Mark is gone Perreault and Armia has to take big step forward. Yeah, right. Perreault moves up, Armia stays on 4th line with Hendricks & Matthias and his TOI will be reduced. That's the reality, unfortunately.
I think you are wrong. Armia will get the chance to kick the door down. Whether he does it or not will be up to him. Every Jets fan I know is hoping for that door to come down.

Reactions: 204hockey

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Armia is easily top 6 material, and its not even close. Good PK and PP player too. I'm huge Laine fan but as I have watch tons and tons of Jets hockey in last two years, and I dont usually talk about him but I see how good he is, Joel Armia.

I was following his liiga career but I thought his career basically got scrapped in buffalo. But he grinded in the AHL and came back to the NHL with very good defensive side in his game, and the offensive skillset just was always there.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Is that what happened in last game? Thought I saw Armia with Wheeler and Connor there, but didn't know Scheif was injured (I was only watching the condenced highlights).

Yes that happened but so did Connor Hendricks Wheeler. And even one shift Of Perreault Wheeler Armia. The lines bounced around quite a bit. We'll get a better sense of what they might do at today's practice and who if anyone they decide to call up.

Reactions: Garbox

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I was following his liiga career but I thought his career basically got scrapped in buffalo. But he grinded in the AHL and came back to the NHL with very good defensive side in his game, and the offensive skillset just was always there.

He's really stuck it out through some tough times - I love his game now, and he always seems so happy to be on the ice. Incredibly talented with the puck, and his ability to strip pucks and protect the puck is damned good.

He's also money on breakaways, and has a very underrated shot. Very glad that Buffalo gave up on him - nothing like getting a player as a bit of a throw in that can play up and down the line-up, wherever he's needed.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
He's really stuck it out through some tough times - I love his game now, and he always seems so happy to be on the ice. Incredibly talented with the puck, and his ability to strip pucks and protect the puck is damned good.

He's also money on breakaways, and has a very underrated shot. Very glad that Buffalo gave up on him - nothing like getting a player as a bit of a throw in that can play up and down the line-up, wherever he's needed.

This. He learned to appreciate how difficult it is to be an everyday NHLer, becoming one of the most consistent on the team effort-wise.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Misused as f***.

tumblr_static_e1hi7fgerd44k04k80k8080w4.gif

And yet, i smile.

Reactions: DRC and 204hockey

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Remember when some kept telling us Dano was the better prospect. The eye test told me 2 years ago this kid has some above average skill, and with a little developing he could be a viable 3rd/4rth line player. He has top 9 potential.

Last season he was heating up early in the season, then got derailed with an injury. He is starting to heat up this season, and if he stays healthy, could help soften the blow of losing Scheif.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

No kidding, still can't believe we get him and Roslo in that trade! Maybe Armia should get a look in our next shoot out? He has great hands and Id like to see him with some good players, I really him as a player but I will say that he needs to find consistency, he will play a great game and then dissappear for 5 games but I know its hard with limited ice, hopefully playing more and with better line mates will help with consistency.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Agree with this, and it always looks to me like Armia has a built in magnet in his stick, because when he has possession of the puck, it's very hard to take it away from him. He shot is also "very underrated" as well, as he was a bigtime goal scorer in junior hockey.

Because I see him as quite a shy introverted type of personality, I think it really helps a guy like Joel to have a fellow Finn like Laine on the team, and another European like Ehlers as well. I think Joel feels more at home here in Winnipeg and will really come into his own. There's no question the talent is there.

I believe this is why he didn't do well in Buffalo, and he likely will perform better in a smaller city like Winnipeg --where he also has fellow European friends here.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Hey Joel Armia, you just played a great game, scored two goals and you were the best Jet what are your plans? Looks like I'll be getting to stay on the 4th line with "not good enough for the NHL anymore" Hendricks and stone hands Mathias, success has its rewards!

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
I think you are wrong. Armia will get the chance to kick the door down. Whether he does it or not will be up to him. Every Jets fan I know is hoping for that door to come down.

Shocker. Now ppl also understands why Armia wasn't on ice when Oilers net was empty.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It might take another injury or two, or just some poor play by others but he will get his chance. Too good of a player not to.

I agree with this, as you make your own breaks in the world of sports, and rise to the top accordingly. Perrault deserves to be in the top 6 -has really scored well to close last year, and also this year, when he's been active and healthy.

If Armia keeps showing promise-- he'll get his chance. People can see the talent is there, and so can Maurice, but he wants to be cautious and go with a proven veteran.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Has Armia ever gotten a chance on the top lines?
Maybe a game or two on second line.. long time ago. Personally, i don't need him to be on top lines. Third line, with decent icetime(12-14min) and decent linemates. That's all i want, and that's the least he deserves.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
His TOI will probably go even lower with Matthias&Hendrix.

Maurice really don't make things any easier for him.

Another thing which i disagree with Mo is the callup for Roslo.

You are in a run for playoffs, your no.1 center goes down, you have one of the best centers in the Ahl in farm and you don't call him up.

This might and hopefully will change if we don't start to win right away with the new lineup.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad