Player Discussion: Joel Armia - Part II

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Looks like Armia gets one game there based on line rushes today. He has really earned it with his play the last few games, I hope he makes the most of this opportunity.
Maurice knows that without Scheifele, Lowry's line needs to be strong all around to take care of the tough matchups. Armia helps in that regard.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Looks like Armia gets one game there based on line rushes today. He has really earned it with his play the last few games, I hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

Think he always ends up being that odd guy out for Mo. Always seems to be one other forward Mo prefers offensively.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Think he always ends up being that odd guy out for Mo. Always seems to be one other forward Mo prefers offensively.
Maybe he thinks he gives the 4th line the depth they need to not get scored on. Sucks for him but sometimes that's the case. Im glad he's stuck with it with a good attitude and now gets rewarded much like MP. Jets gave him a chance unlike Buffalo so he probably is happy with any ice he gets and he is making the most of it and now moves up.

suihkukone

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark

He sure is treated like a bastard son. I was surprised Maurice would rather put a LW on his off wing than consider Armi there. I think he dressed it up as there being no one on the RW (I assume to take Joel's place), but that didn't come out very nice or supportive.
Of course, leaving Perrault on 4th is not optimal either, so there you go. Hope Joel gets his chance sometime or someplace. Personally, I think he is second to no one in this team when he gets his **** together. That breakaway last game was just incredible. Tough luck there with the puck.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

suihkukone

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark
I think he's going to work very well with Copp and Lowry - that should be a heck of a 3rd line. :nod:

Agree. They looked good together, again. Individually, I think they've improved from last year, so should be good combo until Tanner returns (no negativity here)

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Am I the only me who sees Frolik in him? I think he's a guy that with an opportunity could be a frolik type.

It's been mentioned about 100 times in this thread lol. Armia would return a nice piece, a Flames fan mentioned Rasmus Andersson who's a very good D prospect. Free Armia!

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Agree. They looked good together, again. Individually, I think they've improved from last year, so should be good combo until Tanner returns (no negativity here)
You assume Tanev takes his place back once he's healthy ? I think his honeymoon is over and he also knows it. :)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Oh dear God no...

Glassbear3.jpg

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
So with Tanev out "week to week" this is Joel's opportunity to take the ball and run with it on the Lowry line.
the injuries are a blessing in disguise. really allows players the opportunity to step up and earn new roles.

i think armia will be a long term jet. i expect we start to see a few more finn's (vaselainan and niku) on the team in the next few years and more Finnish drafting. Jet's are still the #1 team in Finland?

suihkukone

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark
Jets are #1 in Finland, I assume fans follow players. Just before Christmas, Finnish national television showed one game (very rare case) on public television and they didn't pick Jets game by chance.
I also hear that next season there may be NHL games played in Finland. Jets would sell well there/here. Previously, there's been Minnesota, Florida and Anaheim, all big "finnish" teams.

I wouldn't mind if more finnish players were drafted, though some might freak if more homer fans entered the hfboards. Important is to not draft from Oulun Kärpät, because that would divide the fan base.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So with Tanev out "week to week" this is Joel's opportunity to take the ball and run with it on the Lowry line.

I sure hope this is the case. This Armia guy is hugely talented, and should be given way more ice time, so we'll see what he can do. I think the general sentiment of the fan base is they would like to see Joel a lot more --"very talented and very underrated guy."

Reactions: brhymes19

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
He sure is treated like a bastard son. I was surprised Maurice would rather put a LW on his off wing than consider Armi there. I think he dressed it up as there being no one on the RW (I assume to take Joel's place), but that didn't come out very nice or supportive.
Of course, leaving Perrault on 4th is not optimal either, so there you go. Hope Joel gets his chance sometime or someplace. Personally, I think he is second to no one in this team when he gets his **** together. That breakaway last game was just incredible. Tough luck there with the puck.
He certainly has not been gifted many opportunities, but he has also been hampered by bad luck (injuries), inconsistency and a natural reticence. Having overcome those challenges, we see an exceedingly well-rounded NHL player emerging, in almost every facet of the game.

I do sometimes wonder whether young Patrik Laine has been challenged enough in his young career to ensure an equally well-rounded player emerges at the other end.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Am I the only me who sees Frolik in him? I think he's a guy that with an opportunity could be a frolik type.

That's been mentioned before. He isn't as versatile as Frolik. I think he is a better forechecker, maybe even better defensively. Not quite as good offensively. But may improve there with opportunity.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Jets are #1 in Finland, I assume fans follow players. Just before Christmas, Finnish national television showed one game (very rare case) on public television and they didn't pick Jets game by chance.
I also hear that next season there may be NHL games played in Finland. Jets would sell well there/here. Previously, there's been Minnesota, Florida and Anaheim, all big "finnish" teams.

I wouldn't mind if more finnish players were drafted, though some might freak if more homer fans entered the hfboards. Important is to not draft from Oulun Kärpät, because that would divide the fan base.
I'd rather see the Jets stay in NA and play a regular pre-season and season schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad