Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey Part II

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Again, he's an okay bottom 6 player now but he could be a lot better if he and/or AV would come to grips with what his skillset is and start tailoring his play around it. He's not a guy with sick hands, he's not a guy who can produce off the rush, he's not a guy who can go end to end. He should be hard in on the forecheck and camp around the net. He'd be good at doing that, but he plays like he's JT Miller who can do everything well, and he's not that kind of player and doesn't have that kind of skill.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hobey Baker award winner, though. Right?

I am just going to leave this here:

upload_2017-12-11_20-47-14.png

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Jimmy Vesey's passing ability is not NHL level

I've never seen a player get intercepted as many times as he does.

If he has the puck on the powerplay and is not shooting, then its a guarantee that he will somehow turn it over.
He really is a horrible passer, he has putrid vision in the offensive zone. Not only that, but how many times is he gonna get the puck and head into the zone with a full head of steam only to:

A.) Fall down and turn the puck over
B.) Hold onto the puck too long and skate himself right out of a good shooting or passing area and turn it over
C.) Try and dangle through multiple people despite having open teammates and turn the puck over

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Not only that, but how many times is he gonna get the puck and head into the zone with a full head of speed only to:

A.) Fall down and turn the puck over
B.) Hold onto the puck too long and skate himself right out of a good shooting or passing area and turn it over
C.) Try and dangle through multiple people despite having open teammates and turn the puck over

all roads lead to turnovers with this kid. just a chicken with his head cut off on the ice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm fine with Vesey playing either the 3rd or 4th line. I don't buy the narrative that he's barely an NHL player. He's good at forechecking and he's good around the net. You must have had some lofty expectations if you thought he was anything other than supporting depth.

Have you read any of the threads from when we signed him and his first few months with the team? No one thought he'd be a star, but I don't think many expected him to be as average as he's been.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Have you read any of the threads from when we signed him and his first few months with the team? No one thought he'd be a star, but I don't think many expected him to be as average as he's been.

Maybe not here but the average fan sure did. Susan Sarandon and Liam Neeson, among others, getting involved set those high expectations for the casual fan

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
The weird thing is that Vesey played really well at the beginning of last season. 14 points in his first 24 games and +5. It's been downhill ever since.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He shot 31% in October'16. Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that wasn't going to last.
id disagree in that..i feel like most of his shots were from in close..he was going to the front of the net with power and he was finishing. One thing you have to give Vesey..if hes got a chance to shoot in the slot or near the front of the net..he's probably going to score.
the difference is now defenders know if hes got the puck, you dont have to respect his ability to get by you whatsoever..attack him, and its a turnover. they used to give him respect and back off, letting him gain the key areas and fire off some great shots. now...they just go right at him. nobody in the nhl respects his ability as a forward...its just so obvious. you see him with the puck, and theyre like...thank you kind sir, this is mine now.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
id disagree in that..i feel like most of his shots were from in close..he was going to the front of the net with power and he was finishing. One thing you have to give Vesey..if hes got a chance to shoot in the slot or near the front of the net..he's probably going to score.
the difference is now defenders know if hes got the puck, you dont have to respect his ability to get by you whatsoever..attack him, and its a turnover. they used to give him respect and back off, letting him gain the key areas and fire off some great shots. now...they just go right at him. nobody in the nhl respects his ability as a forward...its just so obvious. you see him with the puck, and theyre like...thank you kind sir, this is mine now.
It doesn't matter where you're shooting from. Nobody shoots 31% over a sustained period of time.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
*Shrug* I like Vesey

I never expected him to be some top line player. I always assumed he was going to be a middle 6 guy, who could chip in for 30ish points

I think AV's usage of him is something to complain about, but other than that he has been a free top 9 forward.

Reactions: mike14

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Has been disappointing for sure this season for the most part. He was good in the playoffs tho. I'm still not losing out hope on him being a 20 goal scorer who plays well and is visible in the playoffs.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He really hasn't been the same since getting hit in the mouth.

Please don't take this post seriously.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Again, he's an okay bottom 6 player now but he could be a lot better if he and/or AV would come to grips with what his skillset is and start tailoring his play around it. He's not a guy with sick hands, he's not a guy who can produce off the rush, he's not a guy who can go end to end. He should be hard in on the forecheck and camp around the net. He'd be good at doing that, but he plays like he's JT Miller who can do everything well, and he's not that kind of player and doesn't have that kind of skill.

Neither does JT Miller, but I digress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad