Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey Part II

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
You are talking about Vesey here, right? On offense, Fast and Vesey are similar. Fast is the far superior defensive player though

i was talking about fast there....fast is far superior defensively, which means for me hed be better suited on the fourth line with boo and grabner

vesey actually offers some scoring punch on the third line

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Vesey has looked REAL good the past 2 games, I'm very impressed. He needs to keep it going for a bit before he gets out of my dog house though.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
i was talking about fast there....fast is far superior defensively, which means for me hed be better suited on the fourth line with boo and grabner

vesey actually offers some scoring punch on the third line

Fast is outscoring Vesey since the start of last season, despite playing mostly on the 4th line while Vesey was getting top-9 and sometimes even top-6 minutes.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Fast is outscoring Vesey since the start of last season, despite playing mostly on the 4th line while Vesey was getting top-9 and sometimes even top-6 minutes.

Vesey has played a total of 4 ES seconds per game more than Fast going back to the beginning of last season. Fast has outscored Vesey, that is true. But their ice times have been pretty similar.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Vesey has played a total of 4 ES seconds per game more than Fast going back to the beginning of last season. Fast has outscored Vesey, that is true. But their ice times have been pretty similar.

By top-6 minutes I don't necessarily mean he plays more, but with better players which could/should result in more points

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
By top-6 minutes I don't necessarily mean he plays more, but with better players which could/should result in more points

Top 6 players get more ice time than bottom 6 players do. I have no idea how a guy can spend significantly more time in the top 6 than another player, but end up with basically the same amount of time on ice.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Top 6 players get more ice time than bottom 6 players do. I have no idea how a guy can spend significantly more time in the top 6 than another player, but end up with basically the same amount of time on ice.

I have not checked the exact numbers but I am fairly certain Vesey was moving up lines during games quite a lot. PS: Vesey has played 17 more games since joining the league than Fast, who missed a bunch due to injury. Despite that Fast has more ES points than Vesey in that span

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island

fast is more of a poacher in a sense, i do agree that he can score but if i had to pick between the two to go end to end and score it would be vesey

as @Tawnos has said their ice time over that time span has been mostly even

i guess i just still believe that vesey has that scoring touch in him

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I have not checked the exact numbers but I am fairly certain Vesey was moving up lines during games quite a lot. PS: Vesey has played 17 more games since joining the league than Fast, who missed a bunch due to injury. Despite that Fast has more ES points than Vesey in that span

My point isn't that Vesey doesn't move up, but that Fast does just as much.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
fast is more of a poacher in a sense, i do agree that he can score but if i had to pick between the two to go end to end and score it would be vesey

as @Tawnos has said their ice time over that time span has been mostly even

i guess i just still believe that vesey has that scoring touch in him
If Fast is a poacher Vesey is too....

Veseys goals are mainly tap ins and empty nets.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Slim Jim has not shown the kind of passing or vision that I would like to see but he has shown some strong glimpses of his skating and stick handling. He also has a strong snap shot from the hashmarks in plus good hands up close. His hands, shot, and size point to a guy that can score 20 goals in this league but I'd like to see him use his size more.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I've never seen anyone at the nhl level as bad a passer as jimmy Vesey. having said that I still like the kid in a bottom 6 roll. he can play up and down and give you good mins. he should not be playing on the PP though because he can't make a simple play with the puck. Fast should be getting PP mins with Mika out.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I'm fine with Vesey playing either the 3rd or 4th line. I don't buy the narrative that he's barely an NHL player. He's good at forechecking and he's good around the net. You must have had some lofty expectations if you thought he was anything other than supporting depth.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
(via Corsica.Hockey)
Jimmy Vesey has played 1290 5v5 minutes over the past two years combined.

178 forwards have played a minimum of 1200 minutes in the same timeframe. James ranks:

166th in points per 60
145th in primary points per 60
173rd in relative shot attempts for %
176th in relative goals for %
173rd in relative expected goals for %

But at least he looks like he's really giving 100% out there.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
(via Corsica.Hockey)

178 forwards have played a minimum of 1200 minutes in the same timeframe. James ranks:

166th in points per 60

Oh..this again.

Reactions: silverfish

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
(via Corsica.Hockey)

166th in points per 60

Those are just terrible numbers. If the Rangers were smart they would move him before teams figure it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad