Prospect Info: Jimmy Vesey (Harvard University, 2012 66th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Maybe he wants to come to Chicago and play with Kane the way Panarin is this season (with Panarin moving up to play with Toews and Hossa next season). Just a thought.
And the whole thing about how Chicago knows how to win a Stanley Cup, whatever that is.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think we will know in the next 24 hours.

I don't know that we will. I think what comes next is "I'm going to take a deep breath and take some time to think about it this summer, and when the time is right I'll make the best decision for me and my family"

We won't know for sure one way or another until August 15, although as I've said all along...if he doesn't sign now with us, he isn't going to.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't know that we will. I think what comes next is "I'm going to take a deep breath and take some time to think about it this summer, and when the time is right I'll make the best decision for me and my family"

We won't know for sure one way or another until August 15, although as I've said all along...if he doesn't sign now with us, he isn't going to.

This I fully agree with.

Put me in the don't care either way category though. He's not going to step in and be better than any of our current top 6 guys (yes even Jarnkrok), and I don't know if he'll be better than anyone in the bottom line in their current roles.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

That's why we will know in the next 24 hours. If we have no confirmation that he is coming after tomorrow's game against Dallas, I don't think he is coming.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
This I fully agree with.

Put me in the don't care either way category though. He's not going to step in and be better than any of our current top 6 guys (yes even Jarnkrok), and I don't know if he'll be better than anyone in the bottom line in their current roles.

These are exactly my thoughts as well. If he's going to sign with Nashville, it will be in the next day-ish.

Even if he signs, his impact will likely be minimal this season (while it would be a great experience for him, to be sure, if he would have normal expectations placed on him).

Having said that, Poile has basically backed the team and Vesey in the corner with all this "saving Vesey a spot" fluff. If he signs, he almost has to get ice time on some level. Not exactly an encouraging thing to me. He's not earned anything yet, including the most important part- trust.

If he does sign and get the ice time, what will be the fallout on this kid if he doesn't mesh with anyone right from the start (a strong likelihood for any player in that position)? There will be a ton of scrutiny and pressure on this kid to come in and hit the ground running.

David Poile has done this kid no favors with all this GM-speak. And it is GM-speak. Because, if it wasn't, then it would be grounds for firing.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Well, if we wrap up tonight, and Chicago wins it's next game or two, there are 5 or 6 games to rest folks and give Vesey some time - if he signs. From there - if he looks good, Nystrom will look fine up in the box next to Goose during the POs.

Burn a year, get some PO experience, and have a legit shot at some top 6 mins next year on a team well-positioned for the next couple years. Or play for your home-town team, which is the probably the surprise of the year but definitely in re-tooling mode. It might not be an easy decision, but it really is straight-forward.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Having said that, Poile has basically backed the team and Vesey in the corner with all this "saving Vesey a spot" fluff. If he signs, he almost has to get ice time on some level. Not exactly an encouraging thing to me. He's not earned anything yet, including the most important part- trust.

If he does sign and get the ice time, what will be the fallout on this kid if he doesn't mesh with anyone right from the start (a strong likelihood for any player in that position)? There will be a ton of scrutiny and pressure on this kid to come in and hit the ground running.

David Poile has done this kid no favors with all this GM-speak. And it is GM-speak. Because, if it wasn't, then it would be grounds for firing.

DP's job is to get the kid here. I don't care how he does it and honestly assume that the majority of our fan base have no idea who Vesey even is.

The only people who will end up putting pressure on Vesey will be Vesey, the media, and some fans who actually read hockey media. The players have been around the league enough to know what is going on here so will likely be a non-factor. Fortunately for Vesey anything media related will basically be a non-issue in this market.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
DP's job is to get the kid here. I don't care how he does it and honestly assume that the majority of our fan base have no idea who Vesey even is.

The only people who will end up putting pressure on Vesey will be Vesey, the media, and some fans who actually read hockey media. The players have been around the league enough to know what is going on here so will likely be a non-factor. Fortunately for Vesey anything media related will basically be a non-issue in this market.

I would say this is not true at this point. TV, National Media, Local Media, Twitter, etc have all been a buzz about it lately.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I would say this is not true at this point. TV, National Media, Local Media, Twitter, etc have all been a buzz about it lately.

It's possible people have seen the name but I'd be surprised if even 10% of our fan base have a clue. I'll do a straw poll tonight! "Tell me one thing about Vesey and I'll buy you a beer." I'm thinking my wallet will remain full. It might even get so sad that I have to just find someone who can spell the name just to ensure I have bought at least one fortunate individual a beer!

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
The fan base is not the primary issue here.

The issue will be the questions/scrutiny that he would receive from the media. While the media in Nashville tend to be nicer and less overwhelming, generally speaking, it would be larger come playoff time with visiting media and the pressure of the playoffs themselves.

Additionally, he's likely the highest profile college player out there right now and has been mentioned by McKenzie, Dreger, Friedman, and others (largely due to the statements made by Poile). He will have some pressure on him.

At the end of games, players and coaches don't have to directly answer to fans. But they are obligated to directly answer questions from the media to a point. That can be a stressful situation for the players and coaches (and occasionally for the media members themselves).

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Been charter member of the "He's Coming" Echo-Chamber. However, I got a friend-of-a-friend from Boston who says he's not coming but hasn't made it public yet. I wouldn't bet the ranch on my source but he does have a connection.

I hope it's bad info. Time is not our friend. Listening to the kid's previous quotes, he sounds like the Will Hunting from Southie. Talks about his working class family from Boston, first gen to go to college. Maybe playing for the "home team" is a dream that trumps the 1-yr ELC burn and immediate playoffs. Yeah, the lost ELC year hurts him financially, but so far, finances have not driven him or he would have jumped last year.

The only part I don't understand is why he just didn't tell Poile he wouldn't sign? Doesn't hurt his value. 29 other teams await him, all for the same initial money. This isn't like Suter, where he was jockeying for value. If he had said months ago that he'd likely not sign with the Preds, it would not have had any adverse effect on him.

As a fan, this is what makes me want to boo his ass the first time he plays here as a visitor. Don't string us along. I know, he never actually said he sign. He gave the pc response. Well, that strung us along. If he respected his draft team, and the Development Camps, and the Poile TLC, this is not the way to repay it.

The more I type, the more I'm ready to "Suter" this kid. You want to live your dream and play for the Bruins or whoever else, fine. Man up and tell us so we don't "reserve spots for you" at the trade deadline.

I'll wait for the official "I'm-just-not-that-into-you" line but this kid is about to be dead to me .

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Been charter member of the "He's Coming" Echo-Chamber. However, I got a friend-of-a-friend from Boston who says he's not coming but hasn't made it public yet. I wouldn't bet the ranch on my source but he does have a connection.

I hope it's bad info. Time is not our friend. Listening to the kid's previous quotes, he sounds like the Will Hunting from Southie. Talks about his working class family from Boston, first gen to go to college. Maybe playing for the "home team" is a dream that trumps the 1-yr ELC burn and immediate playoffs. Yeah, the lost ELC year hurts him financially, but so far, finances have not driven him or he would have jumped last year.

The only part I don't understand is why he just didn't tell Poile he wouldn't sign? Doesn't hurt his value. 29 other teams await him, all for the same initial money. This isn't like Suter, where he was jockeying for value. If he had said months ago that he'd likely not sign with the Preds, it would not have had any adverse effect on him.

As a fan, this is what makes me want to boo his ass the first time he plays here as a visitor. Don't string us along. I know, he never actually said he sign. He gave the pc response. Well, that strung us along. If he respected his draft team, and the Development Camps, and the Poile TLC, this is not the way to repay it.

The more I type, the more I'm ready to "Suter" this kid. You want to live your dream and play for the Bruins or whoever else, fine. Man up and tell us so we don't "reserve spots for you" at the trade deadline.

I'll wait for the official "I'm-just-not-that-into-you" line but this kid is about to be dead to me .

I agree, if he doesn't want to be here that's fine. Tell Poile, but I get the feeling he really doesn't know wht to do because of all of the positive comments from Poile and attempting to sell the team. If has already said then I see Poile pushing for something at the deadline harder than he did.

Idk its a weird situation, and one I am not to confident in going the Predators way.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I still don't think Vesey had anything to do with what Poile did or didn't do at the deadline. He spun it that way after all was said and done but ultimately had there been a good deal on the table he would have taken it. Nothing to lose at that point.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

IF he was smart, he'd tell Poile now so Poile can trade him at the end of the season and he can sign and get to camp on time for the new team.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
I still don't think Vesey had anything to do with what Poile did or didn't do at the deadline. He spun it that way after all was said and done but ultimately had there been a good deal on the table he would have taken it. Nothing to lose at that point.

His "deal" won't be different with any other team with a couple of notable exceptions:

1. His deal with Nashville would effectively be for 2 years since he would burn 1 of the 3 years of the standard ELC with what's left of this year. That gets Vesey to his second contract sooner than it could possibly be with any other club.
2. By not signing with Nashville, he can choose where he would like to begin his NHL career. This option forces him to complete 3 full years on the standard ELC before his second contract.

In either case, the ELC is the same, it's just the number of years he has to complete and where he completes them he must decide upon.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
His "deal" won't be different with any other team with a couple of notable exceptions:

1. His deal with Nashville would effectively be for 2 years since he would burn 1 of the 3 years of the standard ELC with what's left of this year. That gets Vesey to his second contract sooner than it could possibly be with any other club.
2. By not signing with Nashville, he can choose where he would like to begin his NHL career. This option forces him to complete 3 full years on the standard ELC before his second contract.

In either case, the ELC is the same, it's just the number of years he has to complete and where he completes them he must decide upon.

Poster you quoted was talking about trade deadline "deals" not Jimmy signing a contract "deal"

Also, Jimmy's ELC will only be for 2 years since he's 22 years.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
IF he was smart, he'd tell Poile now so Poile can trade him at the end of the season and he can sign and get to camp on time for the new team.
He's graduating from Harvard so I'll use that as my gauge about whether he's smart or not.

Sorry, had to.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'm not really convinced we are missing anything this year by not signing him and I'd honestly expect him to be a scratch if we did sign him. He's most likely a middle six player for the future, not a guy that will jump to the top line for a playoff run.

I wish he'd just say he's going to wait til august and evaluate his options so we can go all in on playoff talks.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
I'm not really convinced we are missing anything this year by not signing him and I'd honestly expect him to be a scratch if we did sign him. He's most likely a middle six player for the future, not a guy that will jump to the top line for a playoff run.

I wish he'd just say he's going to wait til august and evaluate his options so we can go all in on playoff talks.

If he waits until after 8/15, we lose. If he was going to take us to the Prom, he'd be stupid to wait and cost himself a year toward free agency.

We lose a even fight with the other teams. We only win if he values one year closer to free agency and insta-playoffs.

Get the feeling he's gonna hang at Harvard, organize Toga Parties, and drive the Deathmobile Float in the Homecoming Parade.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Devil's advocate time: What happens if he does say, "No, I'm not signing with the Predators, sorry"?

Poile can go to the NHL BOG and demand something be done about the loophole that allows college players to avoid signing with their drafting team. Who knows, maybe Bettman might actually pick up the phone, talk to Fehr, get a "meh" from the PA, and get an ad-hoc agreement as of July 1st to extend the time to sign to one year after his final game in college, or perhaps penalize the player pulling this route by forcing him to add one year to his ELC before he can go RFA.

You may think it can't happen, but enough players pull this, and you could almost have the reverse of one-and-done situations in the NBA happen, just so players can make the draft a moot point. And the PA may take the point of view that "as long as it doesn't affect our current membership, and as long as it's fair, we don't particularly care."

No, even if Vesey won't sign here, he won't say a single thing about it until midnight on August 15th.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
His dad went to Merrimack U and has a degree.

http://thehockeywriters.com/jimmy-vesey-committed-to-predators-after-college/
“When my season ends at Harvard, I would really like to sign [with Nashville] next spring and get some pro experience before heading into training camp [in 2016]. If the opportunity is right to sign here in Nashville, then it is going to be a no-brainer.”
Time to put up or shut up.

Last edited:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Devil's advocate time: What happens if he does say, "No, I'm not signing with the Predators, sorry"?

Poile can go to the NHL BOG and demand something be done about the loophole that allows college players to avoid signing with their drafting team. Who knows, maybe Bettman might actually pick up the phone, talk to Fehr, get a "meh" from the PA, and get an ad-hoc agreement as of July 1st to extend the time to sign to one year after his final game in college, or perhaps penalize the player pulling this route by forcing him to add one year to his ELC before he can go RFA.

You may think it can't happen, but enough players pull this, and you could almost have the reverse of one-and-done situations in the NBA happen, just so players can make the draft a moot point. And the PA may take the point of view that "as long as it doesn't affect our current membership, and as long as it's fair, we don't particularly care."

No, even if Vesey won't sign here, he won't say a single thing about it until midnight on August 15th.

It's not a loophole, and if it wasn't closed 7 years ago when Blake Wheeler became the first high profile player to exercise it, then I doubt a call from the latest in a growing line of GMs to lose a player because of it is going to do much. You can change the rule to say...what? That you get to hold on to college players without signing them for another year beyond graduation? That protects the organizations, but the players have rights and interests that deserve protection as well. The Predators did what they should have...they tried to sign him after his junior year, before the temptation of going UFA in 4 and a half months loomed. He declined that option, and more or less made his intentions clear at that point.

You would see this in major junior players as well, if they didn't age out at 20 and their rights didn't expire in such a way that would mean they'd need to re-enter the draft. It's just a crappy situation with no good solution. Vesey is doing what's within his rights as a player, and it's not really "dirty" on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad