Prospect Info: Jimmy Vesey (Harvard University, 2012 66th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I'm meh on this. If he was to come to the PREDS he's got a week to get adjusted. If he goes to someone else oh well, these team has been a machine since the trade and does an extra cog really help this team? Would VESEY activate the 3rd line? The 1st & 2nd lines are nuclear hot. Does Vesey fill a weakness?

Vesey fits on the 3rd with Willy to the 4th in Nystrom's role...... most of the year it looked like Vesey woulda' upgraded Hook or Arvy, but for the last 6 weeks it's been apparent that they have solidified their roles.....

Personally, I think where Vesey fits is really down the road, as Ribs and Fish age-out and Hook moves to center the 2nd or 3rd.... Fiala and Vesey both fit nicely, at that point....

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The kid's collegiate career ended Friday night ... not quite the best time to say sign now. If he hasn't signed by mid-week, I'll start thinking he is likely heading to FA. Expecting him to ink a deal before getting to clear out the Harvard facility is a bit much.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I said this a few days ago but I personally don't think Vesey cares where he plays. He may like the idea of Boston but I think he's fine wherever. I firmly believe he's being steered elsewhere by other people, and he'll end up looking bad in our eyes because of it.
I have thought all along his dad and agent are dead set against him signing here. If it was up to him I think he signs here but his dad was hired specifically to lure him to Toronto and everyone knows it. It is not like he has never been to Nashville before. He has seen the support for things like prospect camp, and how the city treats it's players. Along with the fact we are not some outpost on the far reaches of the galaxy, but a beautiful and vibrant city. Hope he hears the boo's loud and clear in his 1st game in Nashville next season.

"A few years back" is the key phrase there. Another survey was recently done and Nashville wasn't even mentioned.
I have not seen this but Nashville is usually near the top of most lists. Spezza refused a trade here, and I bet a lot of players would refuse a trade to Nashville. It's not like free agents are jumping to sign here either.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The kid's collegiate career ended Friday night ... not quite the best time to say sign now. If he hasn't signed by mid-week, I'll start thinking he is likely heading to FA. Expecting him to ink a deal before getting to clear out the Harvard facility is a bit much.

Agreed, and it's Easter weekend. We are being impatient as fans

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I can agree with that but Preds have games to win. They've got one Monday night and he could be in it; if he cares. He's had 4 years to decide on the Preds or not. It's not a surprise to him and he knows what the money is. Also got games with Dallas and Pittsburg on the road. If he's gonna get experience and help out before the playoffs, he's gotta get here. There's really nothing to negoitiate and he's got nothing to wait on.
If you've ever lost a job you were very depressed like Vesey must be but you got out there to find a new one quickly. He's got one waiting.
If he's not signed Monday he won't be at all. If he's not here next week, he doesn't care about Preds and they don't need him.

The reality is that expecting a kid to sign within moments or hours of elimination from the post season is unrealistic. The first thing Vesey needs to figure out is if he is staying in school through graduation or not ... he is on track to graduate from Harvard with a degree that pretty much guarantees him a decent paycheck even if his hockey career doesn't pan out or ends early due to injury (see Geoffrion, Blake). Then he needs to figure out if he wants to sign and play immediately or test the market and hope where he wants to play can fit him into not only the roster, but the cap as well. For all of the planning and thought he's probably put into this, it gets different when the time actually comes around.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'd like to see him sign here but just not expecting it really. I get that he just ended his collegiate career but I would think if the team I could immediately sign with is the hottest in the NHL, and I have a legit shot to win a Cup in a couple of months, then I'd do everything I could to be in the lineup tomorrow night.

To be honest I don't care for this season. It does suck for future seasons though. Really hope they do something with this rule eventually.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have not seen this but Nashville is usually near the top of most lists.

:whaaa?:

That article says the exact opposite of what you just re-asserted. The teams most frequently at the top of those lists are Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Brooklyn. None of those are Nashville. None of them are anywhere near Nashville. Nashville doesn't even get a mention as being on most NTC lists because it is not present - it is so infrequent that none of the agents asked had any players who had the Preds on a client's NTC list. It is vanishingly rare.

Seriously, hon, this is crazy. It's akin to you insisting that the Preds always wear red sweaters, being shown that they actually wear gold, and responding to that with "well, I hadn't seen that before, but whatever, I know they wear red." It's doubling down in the face of irrefutable contradicting evidence, and that frankly is jaw-droppingly insane.

Spezza refused a trade here

One player does not a trend make by anything even approximating a stretch of the imagination, no matter how much you may have wanted that player.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I heard a "We want Vesey" chant at the game Saturday. I'm assuming it was coming from sec.303.

I hope he signs, I don't really think he will. I'm not sure how I will feel if he comes back to play with another team. But if he goes to chi, f him for sure.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If he signs great, if not oh well.

We have a great lineup with Fiala and Arvidsson ready to add to it. If Vesey wants to be part, great if not bye.

Fiala - Johansen - Neal
Forsberg - Kamenev - Arvidsson

For the next 5 years doesn't hurt my feelings.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville

We have a great lineup with Fiala and Arvidsson ready to add to it. If Vesey wants to be part, great if not bye.

Fiala - Johansen - Neal

For a minute, I was thinking Byrd wrote that, as I see an absence of our recently signed to a 5yr contract 3rd leading goal scorer.....

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The grass will not be greener with Yakupov above anyone we currently have on the second or third lines. We have guys that come to work and play hockey every day. Yak is well, Yak, an unmotivated POS. The only thing he did well against us a few weeks ago was BS behind the play and that isn't going to get it done.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The grass will not be greener with Yakupov above anyone we currently have on the second or third lines. We have guys that come to work and play hockey every day. Yak is well, Yak, an unmotivated POS. The only thing he did well against us a few weeks ago was BS behind the play and that isn't going to get it done.

why are posting about Yakupov in the Vesey thread? Am I missing your sarcasm again?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yeah...I don't consider this past weekend as the "deadline". I'm thinking COB tomorrow. After that...he gone.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

Fiala - Johansen - Neal

LOL Arvidsson as a top 6 NHL forward.....I will take Smith any day of the week over him.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
My brother and I talked about it a lot when he was here this weekend, and the more we thought about it, the more it seems like a pipe dream to have Vesey come here. Think about it this way, if you were drafted by Edmonton and you had the option to play in Nashville, your home town, the team you cheered for growing up and the area you have always wanted to live in wouldn't you choose to wait a couple months and play where you want to? Sure, burning the year off the ELC is nice, but controlling your destiny seems like a no brainier.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I get that but anyone who wants to live in Boston or Toronto simply hasn't visited Nashville and is probably not smart enough to play for Preds, Havuhd education notwithstanding.

I mean, that's just like your opinion man. I get it, Nashville is a cool place, but to each their own. Personally, it's where I want to be and live but that doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
My brother and I talked about it a lot when he was here this weekend, and the more we thought about it, the more it seems like a pipe dream to have Vesey come here. Think about it this way, if you were drafted by Edmonton and you had the option to play in Nashville, your home town, the team you cheered for growing up and the area you have always wanted to live in wouldn't you choose to wait a couple months and play where you want to? Sure, burning the year off the ELC is nice, but controlling your destiny seems like a no brainier.

Edmonton is a bad example for this scenario because their organization is terrible and has been for a long time.

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN

I don't mind if he wants to go play for Boston, but don't pull a Suter and string Poile along. That's the part that will chap me if he see decides to wait until UFA.

Now if he waits and then signs with the Hawks, I will despise him with the heat of a supernova.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I don't mind if he wants to go play for Boston, but don't pull a Suter and string Poile along. That's the part that will chap me if he see decides to wait until UFA.

Now if he waits and then signs with the Hawks, I will despise him with the heat of a supernova.

I don't think he's pulled a Suter regardless. Suter was quoted as saying that he wanted to stay and something would get worked out. The only thing Vesey has ever said is, "Nashville has been great to me and we'll see what happens." Over and over. That's a calculated non-answer, that, combined with not wanting to sign last season, told me all I needed to know. He likely hasn't told the organization "no" because that would be a stupid thing to do on his part...you don't burn bridges like that.

I think the issue here is, and this is where the comparisons to Suter maybe take on some substance -- it seems like DP sometimes doesn't know how to take "no" for an answer. He's like the kid that asks the head cheerleader to prom and when she politely declines, he fills her locker with rose petals and serenades her in front of the entire school at lunch. Sure, it's sweet, but it's also ineffective and kind of embarassing\pathetic. Mike Russo(Wild beat writer) told me via DM on Twitter that according to both Suter and his agent, Poile was told at the end of that 2012 season that while they would keep the option to return to Nashville open, that Suter was likely moving on. It was reiterated when DP went up to Suter's farm in Wisconsin...but going by Poile's dialogue around that time, he took "So you're saying there's a chance..." and ran with it.

It seems like he's taking a similar tack with Vesey. In his mind, why would anyone say no to burning an ELC year and playing for a contender? But he's not considering Vesey's point of view. He's taking those little kernels of encouragement and blowing them up, and he will likely be the same sad, beaten puppy he was when Suter signed with Minnesota. It will be authentic surprise. I think he sees the best in people\situations, and is doubly devastated when they surprise him\let it down. Sucks, but again...the writing was on the wall, if you were willing to read it.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I mean yeah, he'll be a great player in the future of any team he chooses to go but we'll be fine without him. We'll have a logjam on the wings but one Vesey wouldn't hurt. I just don't believe he'll join us anymore, we would've heard something in that direction.

The least he could do to us is to not come to the West.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I mean yeah, he'll be a great player in the future of any team he chooses to go but we'll be fine without him. We'll have a logjam on the wings but one Vesey wouldn't hurt. I just don't believe he'll join us anymore, we would've heard something in that direction.

The least he could do to us is to not come to the West.

A logjam is better than little depth.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I don't think he's pulled a Suter regardless. Suter was quoted as saying that he wanted to stay and something would get worked out. The only thing Vesey has ever said is, "Nashville has been great to me and we'll see what happens." Over and over. That's a calculated non-answer, that, combined with not wanting to sign last season, told me all I needed to know. He likely hasn't told the organization "no" because that would be a stupid thing to do on his part...you don't burn bridges like that.

I think the issue here is, and this is where the comparisons to Suter maybe take on some substance -- it seems like DP sometimes doesn't know how to take "no" for an answer. He's like the kid that asks the head cheerleader to prom and when she politely declines, he fills her locker with rose petals and serenades her in front of the entire school at lunch. Sure, it's sweet, but it's also ineffective and kind of embarassing\pathetic. Mike Russo(Wild beat writer) told me via DM on Twitter that according to both Suter and his agent, Poile was told at the end of that 2012 season that while they would keep the option to return to Nashville open, that Suter was likely moving on. It was reiterated when DP went up to Suter's farm in Wisconsin...but going by Poile's dialogue around that time, he took "So you're saying there's a chance..." and ran with it.

It seems like he's taking a similar tack with Vesey. In his mind, why would anyone say no to burning an ELC year and playing for a contender? But he's not considering Vesey's point of view. He's taking those little kernels of encouragement and blowing them up, and he will likely be the same sad, beaten puppy he was when Suter signed with Minnesota. It will be authentic surprise. I think he sees the best in people\situations, and is doubly devastated when they surprise him\let it down. Sucks, but again...the writing was on the wall, if you were willing to read it.

Suter also agreed on a contract in November of his last season and never signed it. Big difference. Term and payment were all agreed on. Suter is a *******. :)

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Maybe he wants to come to Chicago and play with Kane the way Panarin is this season (with Panarin moving up to play with Toews and Hossa next season). Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad