Prospect Info: Jimmy Vesey (Harvard University, 2012 66th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Bs"..............the kid down right lied.

You're only saying that because it helps justify being even angrier at him. I'm upset, too, but we don't know exactly what was said to Poile or what Vesey was thinking at the time. It's possible that he intended, at the deadline, to sign with Nashville and changed his mind since, thanks to the advice that he's gotten. That doesn't mean that he lied at the deadline. He may've gone back on his word, but that's not the same thing as lying. What makes it lying or not is whether he intended to deceive Poile when he said it, and we'll likely never know that for sure. In all, there are plenty of things to be awfully upset about and with him over without needing to pile on one more thing by assuming that he outright lied at any point.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My sympathies for you guys on this mess, especially with the way he and his family played you guys. Devil fans are scared it's going to happen with our high-end prospects too (Wood and Santini). To me if you're drafted you shouldn't get to go FA. But I don't think the rule changes until it starts happening to more than 1% of draftees and to more than a small number of teams like yours, probably like ours eventually.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Here's the thing, if a team is working with a kid in the NCAA the kid should not have the option to go UFA, plain and simple. He didn't sign a contract with the team but he was willing to accept the help he received to go to another team? That's just wrong. If he had never come to any prospect camps and Nichol hadn't sent him video, talked to him on the phone, all of that, fine, go your own way. When we have guys helping you develop in to an NHL talent and then saying, nah, I'm going to go UFA, you shouldn't be allowed to do that.

It would be akin to a college kid learning how to be say, an engineer, Nissan taking him under their wing, showing them video of how they do things in the real world, preparing them, nurturing them and then upon graduation going to work for Toyota.

Vesey was willing to accept the help to make himself a better player at the Predators expense and he not only lied about it, he took the help knowing full well he wasn't going to sign here. That's complete and utter BS and should be scrutinized by the NHL. If he doesn't want to sign here, I have no problem with it but for him to accept the Predators staff help so he benefits is using people and honestly, good bye and good riddance.

It would be really funny if other teams looked at this and said, damn, that ain't cool and not offer him a contract at all and let him go overseas. Talk about collusion but that would be pretty just if you ask me. It'll never happen as some team will be mercenary about it but man, that would be cool to see.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I seriously doubt Poile is lying when he says Vesey told him he was signing at the trade deadline. Poile may have some questions to be answered as a GM, his integrity is not one of them.

I don't know, sounds like most of the hockey world, other than Poile, thought he was going the Free Agent route.

Maybe Poile is just throwing him under the bus to save face.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
**** that stupid rule, and **** this kid. If Poile is telling the truth in that he was offered a year off his ELC for the playoffs, and a spot in the top six of a contending team, then **** that kid. Even if he wasn't made any guarantees(like most rookies aren't), the rule that allows players to be free agents after 4 years is ********. It should be a privilege to play for any NHL organization.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
“It’s a bizarre situation,†Poile told the Nashville Tennessean. “For whatever reason, and after all the time and resources that we invested in Jimmy Vesey’s development, we could not get a meeting with Jimmy, his family and his representatives all together. That’s the only thing I asked for after [last week] and they would not accommodate us on that.â€

“Every indication was that he was going to sign with us,†Poile said. "His dad had told me, told Peter Laviolette (and others) that his son was going to sign with us. And Jimmy himself, told Paul Fenton prior to the trade deadline, which was an important time for us because it was our last opportunity to change our team. We told him if he was going to sign with us we were going to keep a position available for him, and he told us that he was going to sign with us.â

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I am not angry with him exercising his right to go UFA per the CBA.

I am angry that he lied to Poile. If Poile is being truthful, and I don't think he would go scorched earth telling the media and tv people exactly what he offered if he wasn't being truthful.

Part of me thinks that Poile did this because all the media and TV are gonna play his comments and somewhere, Vesey will see it and maybe have a change of heart and at least meet with the Preds brass.

The thing that gets me is Poile said his dad, a leafs scout told him to sign in Nashville and gave the impression he was. So I think that debunks the collusion thing.

I'd like to know what advisor/agent is in his ear and wouldn't even set up a meeting.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
You're only saying that because it helps justify being even angrier at him. I'm upset, too, but we don't know exactly what was said to Poile or what Vesey was thinking at the time. It's possible that he intended, at the deadline, to sign with Nashville and changed his mind since, thanks to the advice that he's gotten. That doesn't mean that he lied at the deadline. He may've gone back on his word, but that's not the same thing as lying. What makes it lying or not is whether he intended to deceive Poile when he said it, and we'll likely never know that for sure. In all, there are plenty of things to be awfully upset about and with him over without needing to pile on one more thing by assuming that he outright lied at any point.

At the trade deadline, Jimmy and his dad both tell mutliple people including Poile that Vesey is going to sign with the Preds. Fast forward to now. Vesey's 'team' tells Poile he is not going to sign with the Preds. So they outright lied or completely disrespected him by not bothwring to tell him Vesey was going UFA until juat now. Either way, it was a scummy thing to do to the team that drafted you, helped develop you, and wanted you to be part of the future.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Should have been man enough to meet with Poile and listen to his proposal before making the final decision. Probably wouldn't have made a difference, but he at least owed that to the organization that drafted him and supported his development for four years.

I'm sure Vesey Sr. will get a nice bonus when he signs with Toronto... :rant:

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I don't get the "He lied to Poile" line.

It was completely 100% obvious to every single person who hadn't buried his or her head in the sand that the kid was going to free agency.

If Poile refused to believe it (which I doubt) or didn't plan for it (which I doubt), he's much dumber than we thought (which he's not).

I still don't see the huge deal. It's not like we burned a 1st on him. We took a 3rd round flyer and for whatever reason, it's not going to work out for us. 3rd rounders flop all the time. No big deal. It's not like this guy is the next Ovechkin.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I doubt Vesey ends up in Toronto. I think it is going to be Boston. It's honestly what I would do if I didn't join the team that drafted me. Just my opinion though.

I can't be mad at him for taking this course of action, but I am upset he lied to Poile and wouldn't even agree to a meeting with all three parties. That seems really bush league to me and smacks of Suter, especially if it was at the trade deadline. I don't know, I wasn't there for the conversation or part of it. Most media/hockey personalities have been saying all year Vesey wasn't coming here, so I wasn't worried about it really. I would wish the guy best luck, but meh I don't really care.

What I will say, however, is if I were Poile, I would've handled this situation a lot differently than how he says he handled it. I would've told Vesey you are joining the team last season or you are being traded. I wouldn't have let it get to this point. That's me though. I don't have time or patience for ********.

If anyone needs a pick me up, I'll once again point out Vesey is far from a 'sure thing' at the NHL level.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If you are shocked and pissed you have been under a rock for a while. When the guy decided to finish at Harvard that pretty much all but sealed he would go for the F/A. And I still think the kid lands in Boston. But until Aug 15 even Poile has a chance to talk to him. I also said before that burning a year off the ELC was not going to be an issue with this guy and it was not. He has a Harvard degree will play for a few years maybe and have a nest egg to take into the world. Either way that degree will alone set the guy up for life.

And as pissed as some of you get, Nashville is still not a team that will draw top players to pick here to play. Hell There are teams like Tampa that still have that problem and have to trade or draft there players. And they have won a cup. It has nothing to do with the city, but more about the success of the Preds over the years. Of course they have made the playoffs more often than not but they have never iced a team that has had a real chance to make a run at the cup and that includes this year. Look at what the Hawks did before the trade deadline they added additional pieces to support a run. They have options is a player or two gets hurt in the playoffs(Weber, Fish). The preds have well nothing really if Forsberg and Neal are hurt and miss the playoffs all you have are AHL'ers to replace them. It has been a decent run but the real season starts soon.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Vesey is just taking advantage of the situation. If Poile is telling the truth then it was handled poorly for sure and we can play the "woe is us" card all we want, but it doesn't mean he's on the same level as Suter. Suter was one of the better defensemen in the league, was a key part of our team and had an established chemistry with Weber over the years. As of now, Vesey is an amateur player who hasn't proven anything at the professional level. If he has a good career it'll sting a little bit but IMO he could just as easily have a relatively average career and take a spot from someone we already have in the fold.

Him using our prospect camps and advisors, etc through the last several years and then spurning us at the first opportunity really sucks but maybe we don't need him that badly after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad