Jimmy Vesey (going to the Rangers)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I can understand all of this and particularly from the perspective of a child or teenager.
As an adult though I would think Vesey would be weighing all options carefully.
Looking at style of play and identity of said team.
Players he might be playing with.
Opportunities within the city to find endorsements.
Status of team regarding it's contending ability and average age of players etc.
The Hawks tick all of those boxes.
He would also stand a pretty good chance to be playing along side Toews or Kane if not TT.
Not a bad enticement to have future Hall of Fame players to play along side of ...

I won't use the Hawks or Cubs as an example since they're both excellent teams with lots of talent and are contenders for championships.

If I was a free agent and I had the chance to play for the Sox, Bears, or Bulls, I'd like to think that even at 26 years old I'd absolutely choose my hometown team. I'd get to play in front of my family and friends, be cheered by fans who cheer for the same team I do, and any success I'd have would be directly making my hometown people happy.

Nobody knows what's going on in Vessey's head so it's pointless to speculate and I'm treating all rumors of him signing here as "I'll believe it when I see it"

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
At the end of the day this is a kid who played prep school his first draft year (and wasn't drafted), chose to play in the EJHL instead of the USHL to stay closer to home, chose to play his college hockey at Harvard instead of a college hockey factory, and stayed an extra year to graduate after being a Hobey Baker finalist and pro ready.

Pretty much every step of the way he hasn't taken the "right" choice to further his hockey development and career. I want him on the Hawks as much as the next guy. But to state the "mature professional route" is to choose the Hawks is at best naive and likely just homerism.

What?! You calling me a naive homer?! OMG!
That's so kind.
Vesey or no Vesey … we'll be good to go come Oct. 2016

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Congratulations on the Hobey Baker Award Jimmy :handclap:

I thought Kyle Connor should have gotten it pretty easily, but still deserved.

Now announce on August 15th you are coming to Chicago and we are all set!

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Connor had a better supporting cast than Vesey. Vesey meant more to Harvard.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Vesey Sr quoted saying his job won't influence his son to sign with the Leafs and that he would NOT suggest him signing with the Bruins.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Didn't his father also say that he (Vesey Jr) was planning on signing with Nashville?

Hoping he's telling the truth tonight. Trying to persuade his son to stay away from Boston and Toronto, bodes well for Chicago. :)

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
The Blackhawks are his best option for several reasons.

1. Money, he will be on an ELC regardless of where he signs.
2. Pressure. You better believe signing in Boston or Toronto will come with extremely high expectations and pressure, where here in Chicago he wouldn't be under the microscope (much like Panarin) and he can just focus on his game and not have to worry about being a "star" right off the bat.
3. The fact he can potentially win a cup right away and have an opportunity to become a member of the Hawks core (at least for the next several season).
4. The talent he will be playing with.
5. Q's system.... Lets face it - Q knows how to develop hockey players, and the type of player he is he would fit like a glove in this system and get even better, which is a great opportunity for him.
6. If none of that happens he can walk in 3 years and sign elsewhere.

The Hawks really offer him the best opportunity to win now and get better as a player in the process with the least amount of pressure...

In short the Hawks could really use him and he could really use the Hawks...

When you weigh his options the Blackhawks are the perfect fit for him. There are no negatives for him signing in Chicago.

The only other teams that can really give Vesey the same opportunity as the Hawks are basically other contenders.

I'll say this much - if I'm Vesey the last places I would sign would be Boston or Toronto - the pressure and expectations alone would be too much... They would eat this kid alive in Toronto if he wasn't a star right of the bat, the same goes for Boston - just to lesser degree... Hell, look at Phil Kessel and the way he was treated by both franchises... I'd want nothing to do with either one of those gong shows until they get their act together - even then you can't really change the expectations in Toronto...

IDK, that's just the way I would look at his situation though his eyes if I was in his position...

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Vesey Sr quoted saying his job won't influence his son to sign with the Leafs and that he would NOT suggest him signing with the Bruins.
Well his dad probably wants the best for his career first and foremost, and the Hawks are a better option than the Leafs or Bruins at this point.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
At the end of the day this is a kid who played prep school his first draft year (and wasn't drafted), chose to play in the EJHL instead of the USHL to stay closer to home, chose to play his college hockey at Harvard instead of a college hockey factory, and stayed an extra year to graduate after being a Hobey Baker finalist and pro ready.

Pretty much every step of the way he hasn't taken the "right" choice to further his hockey development and career. I want him on the Hawks as much as the next guy. But to state the "mature professional route" is to choose the Hawks is at best naive and likely just homerism.

You act like he chose lesser options just to stay close to home.

Yea, a Harvard education is terrible right? :laugh:

C'mon...

If anything it's time he now leaves the Boston area...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I won't use the Hawks or Cubs as an example since they're both excellent teams with lots of talent and are contenders for championships.

If I was a free agent and I had the chance to play for the Sox, Bears, or Bulls, I'd like to think that even at 26 years old I'd absolutely choose my hometown team. I'd get to play in front of my family and friends, be cheered by fans who cheer for the same team I do, and any success I'd have would be directly making my hometown people happy.

Nobody knows what's going on in Vessey's head so it's pointless to speculate and I'm treating all rumors of him signing here as "I'll believe it when I see it"

When I was Vessey's age it was 2002-2003, you telling me you would choose the 2003 Hawks over any team in the league if you were in Vessey's position? I CERTAINLY wouldn't. :laugh:

As a matter of fact the last place I would ever consider would be the Blackhawks in 2003, and I'm not saying this in hindsight either.. This place was the Siberia of the NHL back in those days.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Boston isn't Siberia right now and won't be for a while. He'd get to play next to Bergeron or Krecji

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think you guys are reading too much into his father's comments. If he says anything other than that Nashville has a very real tampering case against Toronto.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Boston isn't Siberia right now and won't be for a while. He'd get to play next to Bergeron or Krecji

they have a kid in Frankie Vatrano they can't seem to give a top 6 role to who absolutely destroyed the AHL this year...I don't know if Vesey slots in right away in Boston, he certainly does here which is pretty funny considering the OVERALL talent we have.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
You act like he chose lesser options just to stay close to home.

Yea, a Harvard education is terrible right? :laugh:

C'mon...

If anything it's time he now leaves the Boston area...

You are making my point for me. He didn't make the "mature professional (hockey) decision." Now he's a Harvard grad with a Hobey Baker.

And how is EJHL over USHL in draft year related to Harvard after he already committed at Belmint Hill? (Foxboro, MA closer to home than Youngstown, PA last I checked).

My point is there are factors more than hockey for some people. This is a prime example.

Others factors besides hockey (education AND location) clearly dictated his previous decisions. Now the kid is an idiot if he doesn't make the "mature professional (hockey) decision.":laugh:

Ask Stephen Johns how the "mature professional decision" went. Only this kid and his representatives will have all information and be in the room. Just find it humorous on a Hawks board that the Hawks are the obvious choice.

Last edited:

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Hmmm ... in my mind that could narrow it down to:
1/ Chicago
2/ Leafs
3/ Bruins

Perhaps 60-40 in Blackhawks favour.

I think his dad said it best:

"The elder Vesey encouraged everyone to ignore all the rumors where Jimmy might sign. He has heard them all, says nothing has been decided, and ultimately he will leave it to his kid with a Harvard degree (as of May 26) to make up his own mind."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...baker-award/zuRTbvoYraG1LTalq0pnuJ/story.html

Kid already said he'd look at 29 teams and I wouldn't be surprised if he got 29 offers. Will be an interesting horserace when teams can start to formally make their proposals.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
You are making my point for me. He didn't make the "mature professional (hockey) decision." Now he's a Harvard grad with a Hobey Baker.

And how is EJHL over USHL in draft year related to Harvard after he already committed at Belmint Hill? (Foxboro, MA closer to home than Youngstown, PA last I checked).

My point is there are factors more than hockey for some people. This is a prime example.

Others factors besides hockey (education AND location) clearly dictated his previous decisions. Now the kid is an idiot if he doesn't make the "mature professional (hockey) decision.":laugh:

Ask Stephen Johns how the "mature professional decision" went. Only this kid and his representatives will have all information and be in the room. Just find it humorous on a Hawks board that the Hawks are the obvious choice.

What?

Of course he made the mature hockey decision, he went to Harvard, got a degree while developing as a hockey player - now every team wants him...

When he was drafted the odds were against him (and still are to some extent) that hockey could provide a nest egg for the rest of his life, you know what tho? he killed 2 birds with one stone in going to Harvard and that is maturity.. Of course now that he did that he can now choose who he wishes to sign with....

The fact he chose to play minor hockey close to home and go to Harvard is absolutely irrelevant considering many players have done the same thing but never played for their hometown team.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
So did you guys see him being interviewed on NHL Network this morning? very interesting as they say the guy is the top FA prospect coming this summer (either July or August 15), i didn't realize his size, 6'3" around 215 lbs., is a big boy.

Would be amazing though if Stan signed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad