Jimmy Vesey (going to the Rangers)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well I guarantee you..win the Cup again this time and for sure he will want to come to the Hawks with 2 open LW spots for the top 9..Playing with Toews or TT who himself probably emerges big next season will be attractive to any college free agent LW ...Our core is younger than aging Boston and they will be in re-building sooner..So we shall see..

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I'm more than fairly confident he'll go to Toronto. He'll have way more opportunities there, even if he goes down to the Marlies, than he would with Boston or anybody else, for that matter.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I'm more than fairly confident he'll go to Toronto. He'll have way more opportunities there, even if he goes down to the Marlies, than he would with Boston or anybody else, for that matter.

The opportunity with the Hawks is clear and H-U-G-E. No other team can match it. Not saying the kid is a lock. Other factors may come into play.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Mckenzie just tweeted a statement by Vesey's "advisors and counsellers". This excerpt speaks volumes and explains why Nashville was not in the picture:

"without question there will be excellent opportunities on and off the ice"

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Anyone hear this talk about some NHL Network interview with Dave Starman who says Chicago is the leader for Vesey? Overseas and don't have access and might just be way behind but that is MONSTER news.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Anyone hear this talk about some NHL Network interview with Dave Starman who says Chicago is the leader for Vesey? Overseas and don't have access and might just be way behind but that is MONSTER news.

Dont see anything anywhere, I tried searching for it.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I believe that was posted on the Nashville board earlier on during the Vesey discussion before it was made public that he wasn't signing.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I believe that was posted on the Nashville board earlier on during the Vesey discussion before it was made public that he wasn't signing.

He was probably speculating, I have not heard anything about the Hawks and him in the same sentence, if it was true there would have been some news about it recently.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Would be stunned if he doesn't go to Toronto

will lmao so hard if we steal him though

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Saw him play at Belmont Hill when he was a high schooler. Surprised how much his career has taken off. It'd be awesome to get him. Wouldn't be surprised if the Boston kid picked the Bruins though.

Belmont Hill, Harvard, Bruins. Can't really get more Boston than that. We will see though. His dad in Toronto is interesting. And Hawks always have pull.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I don't understand the connection to childhood teams in pro sports. Stetcher's career has better options than the sinking Canucks, ditto Vesey/Boston.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
I don't understand the connection to childhood teams in pro sports. Stetcher's career has better options than the sinking Canucks, ditto Vesey/Boston.
Why not? You grow up supporting a team, you see yourself playing in their colours throughout your youth, I certainly get why you would opt to make that dream reality over choosing money and immediate success. He also wouldn't have to move. What I do not get is supporting the Bruins, but hey, maybe that's just me :laugh:

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

Have you ever met a Boston kid? It's not just the connection to the team out there...it's the city of Boston. Meet some of those southie guys who think after western New York you hit Colorado and then are in California.

Not trying to call Vessey that type of hooligan haha. But the kid did choose Belmont Hill and Harvard for his hockey career. Both places have great hockey traditions but it's not hard to see he has other factors beside hockey in his mind. If he comes to the Hawks fiddy is going to have a ball with another country clubber!

Last edited:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Why not? You grow up supporting a team, you see yourself playing in their colours throughout your youth, I certainly get why you would opt to make that dream reality over choosing money and immediate success. He also wouldn't have to move. What I do not get is supporting the Bruins, but hey, maybe that's just me :laugh:

I can understand all of this and particularly from the perspective of a child or teenager.
As an adult though I would think Vesey would be weighing all options carefully.
Looking at style of play and identity of said team.
Players he might be playing with.
Opportunities within the city to find endorsements.
Status of team regarding it's contending ability and average age of players etc.
The Hawks tick all of those boxes.
He would also stand a pretty good chance to be playing along side Toews or Kane if not TT.
Not a bad enticement to have future Hall of Fame players to play along side of ...

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I hope so but when it comes to prospects its somewhat of a different story as news just leaks, eg. Panarin, Reilly, etc.

I think Panarin was a different story. I don't think it is typically the Hawks leaking the info because I think it is the players or their agents/advisors.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
I can understand all of this and particularly from the perspective of a child or teenager.
As an adult though I would think Vesey would be weighing all options carefully.
Looking at style of play and identity of said team.
Players he might be playing with.
Opportunities within the city to find endorsements.
Status of team regarding it's contending ability and average age of players etc.
The Hawks tick all of those boxes.
He would also stand a pretty good chance to be playing along side Toews or Kane if not TT.
Not a bad enticement to have future Hall of Fame players to play along side of ...
Sure, that's the professional way to go about this, and the smart way. The fan in me just thinks that getting to play for the team you support, close to home, is definitely a tempting factor. And it's not like the Bruins are that much worse.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Sure, that's the professional way to go about this, and the smart way. The fan in me just thinks that getting to play for the team you support, close to home, is definitely a tempting factor. And it's not like the Bruins are that much worse.

Indeed.
The fan in me is hoping Vesey will be taking the mature professional route that lands him in the Windy City! :)

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Indeed.
The fan in me is hoping Vesey will be taking the mature professional route that lands him in the Windy City! :)

At the end of the day this is a kid who played prep school his first draft year (and wasn't drafted), chose to play in the EJHL instead of the USHL to stay closer to home, chose to play his college hockey at Harvard instead of a college hockey factory, and stayed an extra year to graduate after being a Hobey Baker finalist and pro ready.

Pretty much every step of the way he hasn't taken the "right" choice to further his hockey development and career. I want him on the Hawks as much as the next guy. But to state the "mature professional route" is to choose the Hawks is at best naive and likely just homerism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad