Jimmy Vesey (going to the Rangers)

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I am very curious if Chicago is an option for Vesey or if it's just something that looks good on paper. I've always assumed it would be Toronto because of the family connections.

Shame on Bowman and McDonough for not hiring Dad I guess.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Nashville was playing so well I do not think they were going to make a move anyway. They made a big move last year and gave up a 1st and got bounced in the 1st round. Vesey is a 6-3 205 LW with solid hands, Likes to goto the net, is a solid skater and plays a hard 2- way game. all of those things Q will like. The question is not if he is a top 6 LW, its if Q likes his 2 way game.

Also boston or Tor compared to us. We can offer for him to learn in a system with Vets and goto playoffs and play big minutes with great players. SAAD got 6 mil at 22. He is probably the highest paid 22 year old in the league. You goto Tor what does your contract look like after ELC is done? Boston is going to be rebuilding as well. No idea where he signs but we have 2 LW spots open.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Nashville was playing so well I do not think they were going to make a move anyway. They made a big move last year and gave up a 1st and got bounced in the 1st round. Vesey is a 6-3 205 LW with solid hands, Likes to goto the net, is a solid skater and plays a hard 2- way game. all of those things Q will like. The question is not if he is a top 6 LW, its if Q likes his 2 way game.

Also boston or Tor compared to us. We can offer for him to learn in a system with Vets and goto playoffs and play big minutes with great players. SAAD got 6 mil at 22. He is probably the highest paid 22 year old in the league. You goto Tor what does your contract look like after ELC is done? Boston is going to be rebuilding as well. No idea where he signs but we have 2 LW spots open.

This appears to be Kevin Hayes part two and we have already seen that Hawks will not guarantee a top 6 spot to a prospect.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The comparison to Panarin is not a good one. He played with men in the second best league in the world and excelled there before he arrived in Chicago .... and Saad; he made the team with his play. Q liked him immediately, yes, but that's no guarantee of a roster spot. Especially a top 6 spot.

I doubt Hawks will have much of a chance to sign Vesey ahead of Boston or Toronto.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Well that got me a little excited. Does this Starman guy have any credibility? God that would be just terrific if we could sign Vessy.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm still going to temper my expectations. Still expecting it to be between Toronto and Boston. He grew up a Bruins fan in the Boston-area and his dad works for the Leafs, after all.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I'm still going to temper my expectations. Still expecting it to be between Toronto and Boston. He grew up a Bruins fan in the Boston-area and his dad works for the Leafs, after all.

But at the same time, we're most likely the best fit for him. We have two top nine LW spots open. He'd either be playing next to Toews or next to Teravainen. How well did playing next to Toews work out for Saad? Signed a 6x6 contract straight off his ELC and won 2 cups. That's very appealing to a young player coming in. This team is one that always goes deep in the playoffs, so you know you're gonna have the chance to showcase your talents on the big stage and hopefully earn yourself a decent payday coming off the ELC.

Seems like he plays our style of hockey too.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I just can see any other option but Toronto or Boston. His brother and dad in Toronto organization. the reason
He picked Harvard was to stay close to home, so Boston is another obvious choice. Chicago seems like an odd place to go

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I just can see any other option but Toronto or Boston. His brother and dad in Toronto organization. the reason
He picked Harvard was to stay close to home, so Boston is another obvious choice. Chicago seems like an odd place to go

Except we're now the Yankees. Everyone wants to come here.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I understand those who feel he's destined for Toronto or Boston.

But does a young free agent really want to go to Toronto. Sure, his dad works for the Leafs and his brother is a prospect, but Toronto is still a tire fire right now. Do they currently have any high end veteran forwards outside of Kadri and JVR? Nylander's great, but he wouldn't have the type of impact on Vesey that so many of our veteran fowards would (Toews, Hossa, Kane).

And Boston is obviously his hometown team. Bruins will have a spot open after Eriksson walks. I'm sure he'd love to be playing at TD Gardens on a regular basis.

But the question he needs to ask is if he's a fit (style wise). If he says yes, it'd be stupid to turn away that chance. But if he doesn't think they play a similar structure, he'd be smart to look elsewhere.

I think Hawks are the least likely to get him (out of the three). But I also think he's at least somewhat interested in us. And if he's at all interested, than Bowman should be able to at least get in a meeting with the kid and try to persuade him.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
His brother is a not a NHL prospect at this point 5 goals this year in 36 games (soph) with Toronto having some many picks and prospects my guess is they only sign Nolan if Jimmy signs. you can only have 50 players signed at a time. In regard to his Dad, I have no idea. smart move by TOR but its not like its Reilly and Minn. Scouts move around between teams all the time.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I do think we have a solid chance, but even if you said he was absolutely torn between us, Toronto, and Boston and that each team had an equal chance in his eyes right now.... that's still 2/3 against us.

Hope Stan works his magic, but I'm not going to hold my breath expecting him to join us nor will I get mad if he chooses someone else.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I do think we have a solid chance, but even if you said he was absolutely torn between us, Toronto, and Boston and that each team had an equal chance in his eyes right now.... that's still 2/3 against us.

Hope Stan works his magic, but I'm not going to hold my breath expecting him to join us nor will I get mad if he chooses someone else.

Hawks will be in the final three. Just like there were for Parise and Suter. Just like they were for Mike Reilly. Destination for players now. The organization wins and treats their players well. HoF coach. Core that is set to win for the next 3-5 years, at least. And, likely most important for Vesey, they have a spot right next to Jonathan Toews starting immediately. I know the script on the mainboards is TOR/EDM/FLA/BUF being the new wave coming, LA/CHI have years left to own the league. I'm sure that Vesey has that in mind.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
I'm thinking the constant merry-go-round of youngsters this year might help us. It definitely shows him that he'll get a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad