Rumor: Jets shopping Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't get the Trouba hype. He's a very good defenseman, but he's not elite or anything. He doesn't seem like a team guy or someone you'd want to go to war with. He's held out before and apparently wants to hand pick his destination. He probably wants to be paid like a top defenseman in the league.

Buyer beware. I'm just not sure his talent supercedes that other stuff.
Well the flip side is that you should. It be too worried about a drop in play over a long term deal. If you give him the Carlson or OEL deal at $8-$8.25 per the contract would end at age 33 vs 36 for Carlson and 37 for OEL.

He doesn’t bring the offense but is a solid Defensively.

As for contract, he doesn’t want to sell himself short and is prepared to take the risk of injury to hit ufa at 26. Other rfa signed and they appear to be outperforming their contracts like Jones, MacKinnon, Barkov, etc.

He will make less over these 4 years til he hits ufa but he’s banking on making more in what would be years 5-6 for the others.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He doesn’t bring the offense but is a solid Defensively.
Trouba's offense has been a bit overlooked at 5v5

since 2016 he ranks (for Dmen)

T-20th in 5v5 points - despite being ranked 77th in 5v5 TOI and 104th in GP which equated to 15th in 5v5 points per game

This was the 1st year he got an extensive look (between a third-half of the year) on the PP1 with Buff out and, although it didn't always look pretty, he was highly productive on it. ended up finishing 13th in Dmen scoring

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't get the Trouba hype. He's a very good defenseman, but he's not elite or anything. He doesn't seem like a team guy or someone you'd want to go to war with. He's held out before and apparently wants to hand pick his destination. He probably wants to be paid like a top defenseman in the league.

Yeah, I really don't get it either. He's good but consistently overvalued IMO.

Some team is going to pay a ton to get the privilege of signing him to a pretty bad contract.

Reactions: Golden Puppers

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
This isn't much of a shock. I feel like Trouba has wanted out of Winnipeg the whole time he's been there.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

What's wrong with that exactly?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Travis Hamonic, the guy with term and a cap hit of $3.85M? Compared to Trouba in need of a new contract that will cost probably double Hamonic's? Put it this way, the picks I don't care about, but Hronek is likely a non-starter for the Wings at this point.

To be fair, Trouba is a much better player than Hamonic. Trouba is a 25 y old first pairing RFA RHD that just scored 50 points playing almost 23 mins per night on a good team.

The interest among NHL teams will be sky high and the return that Winnipeg is going to get will be great. An offersheet of 7-8M x 8 y would bring back a first, a second and a third round pick. I would expect at the very least that, but I feel its going to be a good prospect/cheap young player + first... At the very least.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
To be fair, Trouba is a much better player than Hamonic. Trouba is a 25 y old first pairing RFA RHD that just scored 50 points playing almost 23 mins per night on a good team.

The interest among NHL teams will be sky high and the return that Winnipeg is going to get will be great. An offersheet of 7-8M x 8 y would bring back a first, a second and a third round pick. I would expect at the very least that, but I feel its going to be a good prospect/cheap young player + first... At the very least.

Yeah nobody is signing him to an offer sheet because Winnipeg has less than a leg to stand on in trade talks. Absolutely zero leverage

Reactions: c_robio

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

not saying you're suggesting he gets offersheeted but if Trouba gets offer-sheeted at that range, Chevy will match and thank the opposing GM

edit - actually a 7 x 8M offersheet would equate to compensation over 5 years...so 56/5 = 11.2M which is 4 1st rounder compensation

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Offer sheets over 52m dollars return 4 first round picks actually

Reactions: DRW204

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Offer sheets over 52m dollars return 4 first round picks actually

You're right. Would have to be 5 x 8 millions.

Anyways, only the team that holds his rights can offer 8 years... And If Trouba really does not want to play in Winnipeg, he should force a trade to ensure they can't match...

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
If the Marner situation gets out of hand, how about Marner for Trouba/Laine/1st?

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Id give up Nurse + Puljujarvi or Yamamoto if we could come to an agreement on an extension for 5 years or longer.

Oh man I love me some Nurse playing along Buff. Doubt Trouba resigns in Edm.
For fun though
Signed Trouba, Roslo, Stanley for RNH and Nurse? Think Peg needs to add just not sure.

Ledge And Dairy

I could see something around JT Miller for Trouba at 5.5 (he gets the Florida tax discount). Gets to play for another big team filling Stralmans role while not causing Tampa huge cap issues for this year and next if they would pursue Karlsson instead (have to resign Cernak, Cirelli, Sergachev, and Vasey next year)

On the other side Jets get a 2C with term for less than trouba's asking price (5.25) leaving them cap space to sign Laine (7-8), Connor (4-5.5), and Myers (4-5). This leaves them about 1-3M to sign everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad