News Article: Jets name Jamie Kompon new assistant coach.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
tnse seems to place great value on experience. almost excessive value perhaps. experience can be a double edged sword. anyways I hope he does well..

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Let's give this guy a shot before we criticize. This board seems so pessimistic lately, I may need to take a break. I'm glad we've moved on from pascal.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lololololol. If you thought Vincent was bad with a pp wait until Kompon gets ahold of it. They hired about the only worse special team coach than vincent. Haha.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Lololololol. If you thought Vincent was bad with a pp wait until Kompon gets ahold of it. They hired about the only worse special team coach than vincent. Haha.

I'm inclined to take your word for it. He went from cup winner to cup winner in rapid succession...and then to the WHL? That seems very odd.

But I will say this though...he improved the Blackhawk's pp percentage from 26th to 10th by the time he left the team.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
PP

Ran the Blackhawks PP in 12/13 & 13/14. Can't recall if he coached their PK as well. The Jets systems/ strategies and play just took a huge step forward I believe.

Great pick.

There were pretty good improvement in the PP over those 2 seasons.

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012

That's weird, the Hawks PP improved both seasons with him and then dropped the year after he was gone.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I'm inclined to take your word for it. He went from cup winner to cup winner in rapid succession...and then to the WHL? That seems very odd.

But I will say this though...he improved the Blackhawk's pp percentage from 26th to 10th by the time he left the team.

I think it was the opportunity/allure of being the GM and head coach of a WHL franchise. he has been an AC for quite a long time and has not had an opportunity to be a HC in the NHL, so I could see the intrigue and it would be a resume building move for him. (just taking a wild stab at his reasoning)

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think it was the opportunity/allure of being the GM and head coach of a WHL franchise. he has been an AC for quite a long time and has not had an opportunity to be a HC in the NHL, so I could see the intrigue and it would be a resume building move for him. (just taking a wild stab at his reasoning)

And then goes back to being an AC on a "lesser" team then the kings or the hawks? That doesn't make a whole ton of sense.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
And then goes back to being an AC on a "lesser" team then the kings or the hawks? That doesn't make a whole ton of sense.

Not sure how many of those teams are in the market for Assistant Coaches. There are only so many jobs. This seems good for both parties I think. Time will tell.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

Well if there was no room to progress upwards with the Kings or Hawks in the coaching realm and no real interest from other NHL clubs as a HC then I could see the allure of trying something new and getting some experience as a GM and Coach. I have no clue in the pay difference and whether it is higher or not.

Looks like he also spent time as team Canada's video coach in 2006.

Maybe he just likes a challenge?

just spit balling here.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Let's give this guy a shot before we criticize. This board seems so pessimistic lately, I may need to take a break. I'm glad we've moved on from pascal.

I think everyone just gets sick of the lateral moves. Now that we have Laine everyone just wants a drive towards the endzone.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think everyone just gets sick of the lateral moves. Now that we have Laine everyone just wants a drive towards the endzone.

This is how I feel.
It's good we have Laine and Ehlers.
Some of our other young guys are still big question marks.EG: Morrisey,Lowry,Copp,Armia,Petan.
We know Pavs is back , we know Stuart and Thornburn will be back.
The pick ups made this July 1st aren't terribly exciting other than Laine.
It seems like we are spinning our wheels a bit, hope this guy can do something with our special teams it could be another long season

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I think everyone just gets sick of the lateral moves.

Going from special teams coached by Pascal Vincent to a guy with two Stanley Cups on his resume is hardly a lateral move though; it is very likely to represent an improvement.

They've also some improved personnel to work with on the ice, Laine (as you mentioned) should help the PP, and Mathias will help aid the PK.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

I'll take your word for it, but I'm not seeing anything to dislike based on the numbers. Coached an average to above average PP with the Kings (save for 2010-11, when they were well below average), and that includes a couple of seasons where the Kings had terrible talent on their roster. Took over a Hawks PP that was terrible in 2011-12, and appeared to yield improved results. :dunno:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think we might be over-estimating the difference between assistant coaches. No coach is going to be good for the PK with Stuart as a core option. The Jets could stand a skill upgrade on the PP (along with better deployment of players).

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I think we might be over-estimating the difference between assistant coaches. No coach is going to be good for the PK with Stuart as a core option. The Jets could stand a skill upgrade on the PP (along with better deployment of players).

tired of that narrative.
Stuart's 25% of the men on the ice and he's on, theoretically, for half of the kill.
he's not the lone problem. so enough with the same silly themes.

Stuart this, Pavs this. yep, we get it.
this is a coach thread.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Coach

Stu doesn't jump on the ice without being sent out by a coach. Nothing in the game is more of a reflection of a coach than special teams.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Eventually, every coach gets fired.

Interesting selection - hope he's able to shake up the special teams.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
tired of that narrative.
Stuart's 25% of the men on the ice and he's on, theoretically, for half of the kill.
he's not the lone problem. so enough with the same silly themes.

Stuart this, Pavs this. yep, we get it.
this is a coach thread.

Stuart I agree with you...but you can't deny that we would have better PK numbers with a better goalie.

The penalty kill is a multi faced problem. There' deployment, goalie and of course, frequency. The more times you penalty kill, the more chance's you give your opponent to score. You take less penalties...it would stand to reason that you would have a better PK percentage.

PP could definitely use some new tactics though. We for sure have enough offense weapons on this team to be a lot better at it then we are. I haven't looked this up, but I would expect that we aren't drawing as many penalties as we should be, probably because we spend so much time on the PK. ..and unless it's changed...the Jets dont shoot the puck enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad