News Article: Jets name Jamie Kompon new assistant coach.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Someone on my reddit post about this news commented with this:

"I'm probably being a hater but he had a better team to work with than that record indicates here in Portland. He lost the locker room and made some pretty questionable in game decisions overall. Once he didn't have Petan and De Leo the team underachieved even with good junior players Adin Hill, Caleb Jones, Jack Dougherty, Dominic Turgeon, Rodrigo Abols, and Rihards Bukarts.

You never felt like he could make in game adjustments to fix tactical problems."

Interesting.

Yes, I know some players in Portland where happy he was let go and replaced
with the old coach Mike Johnston. I heard that some players weren't happy
with the system he was playing with against Everett in the playoffs.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I don't know anything about this guy but what posters have said about him, but he should have lots to work with on the PP a far as skills guys like Laine, Buff, Schief,....etc.
I would figure the PK would be simple to fix...stop taking so many stupid penalties, that would do wonders. I'm willing to cross my fingers and hope for this to be a positive change.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Assuming they go with 4 forwards and 1 D on the PP

PP #1 - Scheif, Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine & Buff
PP #2 - Little, Connor, Perrault, "?" + Myers

I think "?" can be Petan (if he's with the Jets), Stafford, Trouba, Enstrom, Armia or Dano

The bad Jets PP's were too slow in puck movement to create the high % chances which led to endless perimeter work or rushed shots that often cleared the zone.

Hopefully a fresh look will improve things.
But if Laine improves things as much as we think he will... then how much credit does the coaching get?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
tired of that narrative.
Stuart's 25% of the men on the ice and he's on, theoretically, for half of the kill.
he's not the lone problem. so enough with the same silly themes.

Stuart this, Pavs this. yep, we get it.
this is a coach thread.

Coach plays Stu more than any other D on the PK, and he is the worst Pk defenseman in the NHL. The PK was better late last year when Stu was out.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The way I look at it it's a blank slate. I don't believe that the Jets special teams can get any worse than what we've seen the past few years.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong :laugh: but until then I welcome the change.

I am hoping to see some more creativity, movement, and a different look for both units.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Assuming they go with 4 forwards and 1 D on the PP

PP #1 - Scheif, Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine & Buff
PP #2 - Little, Connor, Perrault, "?" + Myers

I think "?" can be Petan (if he's with the Jets), Stafford, Trouba, Enstrom, Armia or Dano

The bad Jets PP's were too slow in puck movement to create the high % chances which led to endless perimeter work or rushed shots that often cleared the zone.

Hopefully a fresh look will improve things.
But if Laine improves things as much as we think he will... then how much credit does the coaching get?

Please no more Myers on the PP so much offense dies on his stick

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
He has got to be an improvement on pp. His last 5 years in Nhl his team's showed consistent improvement on powerplay. Something the jets desperately need.

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Hopefully this guy can improve our stagnant special teams but by some of the concerns expressed in this thread I'm a bit worried.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We could have hired God as an assistant coach and someone here would still say he was the worst coach ever.

Well, he probably is a bit "old school" and relies too much on experience and his "eye test" rather than stats.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
One thing's for sure, he's coming to a great situation... there's no way to go but up.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Hope we aren't just going to be shooting from the point all the time again.

"In Los Angeles, when Terry Murray was coaching before Darryl, we had this study that showed 78 percent of power play goals are generated from the point, pounding the puck on net. The power play is like any other aspect of hockey. You have to have the parts, but you have to execute too. Those pretty passing plays that result in highlight power play goals you see replayed on SportsCenter and TSN are nice to watch, but how many of them are there? I believe the puck has to get to the net, and when you have success, it is contagious. It lifts the team at even strength, and it keeps the other team on eggshells. If you produce on the power play, the opposition is more careful about taking penalties."

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Worst

Coach plays Stu more than any other D on the PK, and he is the worst Pk defenseman in the NHL. The PK was better late last year when Stu was out.

I think he was the worst PK player of any position. The why he was played may explain Maurice's pathetic carrier Special Teams coaching record.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Yes, I know some players in Portland where happy he was let go and replaced
with the old coach Mike Johnston. I heard that some players weren't happy
with the system he was playing with against Everett in the playoffs.

Yes, because a handful of millennials with a sense of entitlement should always dictate how things are run.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Please no more Myers on the PP so much offense dies on his stick

Well Enstrom wouldn't shoot if you held a gun to his loved ones heads. My list was more what I thought would be the line up. I'm all for giving Trouba some PP time instead. But I will say that Myers does have the unique ability to keep in some pucks with that ridiculous reach that no one else would ever get. Every once in a while he does his "condor swoop" to the net with the puck... that's always fun.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'll take your word for it, but I'm not seeing anything to dislike based on the numbers. Coached an average to above average PP with the Kings (save for 2010-11, when they were well below average), and that includes a couple of seasons where the Kings had terrible talent on their roster. Took over a Hawks PP that was terrible in 2011-12, and appeared to yield improved results. :dunno:

Why take his word for it? I would like to see HC provide some statistical evidence to support his "hot garbage" claim.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Yes, because a handful of millennials with a sense of entitlement should always dictate how things are run.

You couldn't be more wrong. These kids are working hard to someday play
in the NHL . You honestly think they walk around entitled?

By the way kids don't fire the Coach\GM. Someone higher up dictated that he
was let go.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
You couldn't be more wrong. These kids are working hard to someday play
in the NHL . You honestly think they walk around entitled?

By the way kids don't fire the Coach\GM. Someone higher up dictated that he
was let go.

Yes, I do think some walk around with a sense of entitlement. Patrick Kane, Evander Kane, Ryan Johansen, PK Subban, take your pick of the self-centered *******s in the league of late, they are all considered millennials.

As for the Portland situation, that was just my comment that I wouldn't give a **** what these twerps thought of him as a coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad