News Article: Jets name Jamie Kompon new assistant coach.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
My main concern with this hire is that he'll be too focused on playing the "big, heavy" game that Maurice and Sutter seem to favour. Will we see too much of Lowry and Thorburn with a "heavy forecheck" instead of a speed / skill game? I much prefer if he brings his experience from the Hawks, with an emphasis on a quick game with lots of puck movement.

He had more results with the Hawks...so I would imagine that his PP will follow the Hawks more closely.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He had more results with the Hawks...so I would imagine that his PP will follow the Hawks more closely.

I agree. He's shown he can get results with two types of rosters. I think he will design the system based on the talent at his disposal. Given what we have coming in I think it will be a more skill based system.

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012
Honestly, every fan base is excited when a new coach gets hired, and then they slowly turned into a pariah. The dude has an impressive resume and a wealth of experience, so I'm going to reserve judgement.

Yeah I feel like this is where a lot of the negativity about Kompon is coming from, especially the feedback from LA fans. Overall his numbers were decent in LA, but his last year the team had poor PP success. Feels like fans grew sour on him as they hoped for greater PP success.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
My main concern with this hire is that he'll be too focused on playing the "big, heavy" game that Maurice and Sutter seem to favour. Will we see too much of Lowry and Thorburn with a "heavy forecheck" instead of a speed / skill game? I much prefer if he brings his experience from the Hawks, with an emphasis on a quick game with lots of puck movement.

You can hear Kompon talk about this in his recent interview with IC:
http://illegalcurve.com/2016/07/05/jets-development-camp-day-3-coaches-maurice-and-kompon/

Q: What do you look at when you look at this Jets' roster?

Speed... speed, skill... tenacity.
I think that they've got a lot of components, I see a lot of similarities in terms of the LA team we had.

(goes on to talk about the youth + veteran leadership)

______

So yeah, he does talk about LA instead of Chicago. But "speed and skill" are the 1st things he mentions.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Sure didn't see much of Maurice's "big-heavy" game last season, seems to me Maurice was still embracing "big-heavy" after coming back to the NHL from his stint in Russia and the AHL. Seems to me the game is now "speed and skill" and Maurice got left behind!:sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You can hear Kompon talk about this in his recent interview with IC:
http://illegalcurve.com/2016/07/05/jets-development-camp-day-3-coaches-maurice-and-kompon/

Q: What do you look at when you look at this Jets' roster?

Speed... speed, skill... tenacity.
I think that they've got a lot of components, I see a lot of similarities in terms of the LA team we had.

(goes on to talk about the youth + veteran leadership)

______

So yeah, he does talk about LA instead of Chicago. But "speed and skill" are the 1st things he mentions.

I don't mind a speed and pressure game, with emphasis on puck control. But you need to have the roster to do that. Thorbs and Stuart can't play that way. Lowry struggles with it, but has some potential. Stafford is marginal, but has skill in the offensive zone.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I don't mind a speed and pressure game, with emphasis on puck control. But you need to have the roster to do that. Thorbs and Stuart can't play that way. Lowry struggles with it, but has some potential. Stafford is marginal, but has skill in the offensive zone.

But we have a lot of players that can play that way. I was blown away by how much Ehlers for instance controlled the game when he was on the ice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
But we have a lot of players that can play that way. I was blown away by how much Ehlers for instance controlled the game when he was on the ice.

I agree. But you need to get rid of players like Stuart and Thorburn to make it work.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I agree. But you need to get rid of players like Stuart and Thorburn to make it work.

Every single team has players like that. And yet...every single year...a team wins the Stanley cup somehow.

Thorburn isn't the Problem. Stuart is the Problem. Pavelec is the Problem . Stafford is the Problem.

Maurice is the Problem...and so is Cheveldayoff.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Every single team has players like that. And yet...every single year...a team wins the Stanley cup somehow.

Thorburn isn't the Problem. Stuart is the Problem. Pavelec is the Problem . Stafford is the Problem.

Maurice is the Problem...and so is Cheveldayoff.

Stafford >>> Thorburn.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Stafford >>> Thorburn.

Without a doubt...but Thorburn is a bit player that should only be seeing single digit minutes a night. It's not his fault how he happens to be used.

Stafford is useless in all scenarios that aren't sheltered offensive minutes so he can put points on the board. We have better players to do that that can actually be used in other scenarios. I m willing to stipulate the locker room glue and leadership qualities as to why Thor is still around.

I'm scratching my head as to why Stafford is.

It's on Cheveldayoff to replace and upgrade these player, a job that should have been relatively easy to do...yet off season after off season it is something that he refuses to do and despite how well she's done in trades and despite how well he has done at the draft...I am now wondering if he should be replaced. We are losing years of our core's prime to his inability to make this team a contender.

This year for instance...we could have bought out Pavelec and gotten rid of him. We could have signed Schlemko or that other LHD that was available whose name escapes me. We could have gotten another top Six forward.

We had a golden opportunity to become really good...really quickly...and I think the Jets missed out. I'm not saying we should have done those long term contracts...but there were trades to be made using our extra first or whatever...that never materialized.

Almost all of our good prospects are getting ready to make the leap here, and soon we won't have a really good prospect pool to brag about because they will all be pros. When do we make the moves to take the next step?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Without a doubt...but Thorburn is a bit player that should only be seeing single digit minutes a night. It's not his fault how he happens to be used.

Stafford is useless in all scenarios that aren't sheltered offensive minutes so he can put points on the board. We have better players to do that that can actually be used in other scenarios. I m willing to stipulate the locker room glue and leadership qualities as to why Thor is still around.

I'm scratching my head as to why Stafford is.

It's on Cheveldayoff to replace and upgrade these player, a job that should have been relatively easy to do...yet off season after off season it is something that he refuses to do and despite how well she's done in trades and despite how well he has done at the draft...I am now wondering if he should be replaced. We are losing years of our core's prime to his inability to make this team a contender.

This year for instance...we could have bought out Pavelec and gotten rid of him. We could have signed Schlemko or that other LHD that was available whose name escapes me. We could have gotten another top Six forward.

We had a golden opportunity to become really good...really quickly...and I think the Jets missed out. I'm not saying we should have done those long term contracts...but there were trades to be made using our extra first or whatever...that never materialized.

Almost all of our good prospects are getting ready to make the leap here, and soon we won't have a really good prospect pool to brag about because they will all be pros. When do we make the moves to take the next step?

I don't know, I see a lot of moves designed to take the next step. 6 years of draft picks are starting to push harder and harder for roster spots. Our team depth is getting quite impressive. As it is we will be sending guys to the Moose that have shown they can play roles at the NHL level.

We are locking up the best of the older guys (Wheeler, Little, Buff and MP) to mesh with the next generation lead by Scheifele. Sure there is still some dead weight around (Stu, Thor and Pavs) but I think we will see a gradual reduction in their roles as the kids push in. Thor and Pavs have expiring contracts and I don't to see either past this season. Chevy has managed to avoid the real albatross contract that ties up cap space.

IMO we are watching a very patient organization assembling a contending team by what they believe to be the right way. As we are seeing the intention is not only draft and develop but then lock up long term the cream that rises to the top. Chevy's managing of cap space has been quite impressive. Adding new voices like Kompon should add a new element on player utilization. If anything I'd guess Chipman is quite pleased by where the team is at.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I don't know, I see a lot of moves designed to take the next step. 6 years of draft picks are starting to push harder and harder for roster spots. Our team depth is getting quite impressive. As it is we will be sending guys to the Moose that have shown they can play roles at the NHL level.

We are locking up the best of the older guys (Wheeler, Little, Buff and MP) to mesh with the next generation lead by Scheifele. Sure there is still some dead weight around (Stu, Thor and Pavs) but I think we will see a gradual reduction in their roles as the kids push in. Thor and Pavs have expiring contracts and I don't to see either past this season. Chevy has managed to avoid the real albatross contract that ties up cap space.

IMO we are watching a very patient organization assembling a contending team by what they believe to be the right way. As we are seeing the intention is not only draft and develop but then lock up long term the cream that rises to the top. Chevy's managing of cap space has been quite impressive. Adding new voices like Kompon should add a new element on player utilization. If anything I'd guess Chipman is quite pleased by where the team is at.

We are a team that is one step away...and yet Chevy has done nothing to upgrade our weakest positions. He gets a pass on the goaltender area because Hellebuyck looks like he is the real deal...but there is no excuse to keep guys like Stuart and Thorburn and Stafford around. If they can be replaced by a better player, they should be. Stuart especially.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We are a team that is one step away...and yet Chevy has done nothing to upgrade our weakest positions. He gets a pass on the goaltender area because Hellebuyck looks like he is the real deal...but there is no excuse to keep guys like Stuart and Thorburn and Stafford around. If they can be replaced by a better player, they should be. Stuart especially.

I agree the Jets show a little more loyalty to fading glue players (Thor & Stu) then is ideal, but I think they believe it is the right way to conduct business. I also think they like having vets that carry themselves as true professionals around the kids. Both Stu and Thor will be treated with dignity and allowed to wind down their careers within the organization. Pavs is another matter but they have gone about trying to fill the position from within the organization which is consistent with their approach to the team as a whole. Either way the future is in the kids and these players will be well out of the way by the time we are in a position to start competing.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I agree the Jets show a little more loyalty to fading glue players (Thor & Stu) then is ideal, but I think they believe it is the right way to conduct business. I also think they like having vets that carry themselves as true professionals around the kids. Both Stu and Thor will be treated with dignity and allowed to wind down their careers within the organization. Pavs is another matter but they have gone about trying to fill the position from within the organization which is consistent with their approach to the team as a whole. Either way the future is in the kids and these players will be well out of the way by the time we are in a position to start competing.

How is it the right way to conduct business? If that is honestly what the year believe then it's true that Chipman needs to GTFO of the hockey side of things. This is a hockey team. The only thing it exists to do is win. By being loyal to these guys, they are impeding the teams ability to do that. I'm all for treating people fairly and properly and all that stuff...but being traded, being cut, being bought out...it's all in the game. Players know to expect this stuff because they know that winning is all that matters.

Even if the Jets don't.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
How is it the right way to conduct business? If that is honestly what the year believe then it's true that Chipman needs to GTFO of the hockey side of things. This is a hockey team. The only thing it exists to do is win. By being loyal to these guys, they are impeding the teams ability to do that. I'm all for treating people fairly and properly and all that stuff...but being traded, being cut, being bought out...it's all in the game. Players know to expect this stuff because they know that winning is all that matters.

Even if the Jets don't.

I agree but they are probably trying to show young guys that they draft and re-sign that they will be treated properly for years to come, that's why you keep hearing first class organization from players, and that they want to be a part of the Jets. Players arent stupid, they see what they will be treated like for years ahead but if need be like Ladd they will part ways if they have to. The Bombers are opposite in the way they treat players and they had a hard time attracting players for years for example.
I do admit Chevy made two mistakes Stu and Pavs and they seem to have a blind spot there. Thor I can live with as #13 no problem. It is about wins now but it is also about building a reputable organization for years to come is how they probably see it.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Any noticeable changes with pp and pk with Kompon? Quality of players has improved dramatically for pk. Petan and Laine seems to be difference for pp.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Any noticeable changes with pp and pk with Kompon? Quality of players has improved dramatically for pk. Petan and Laine seems to be difference for pp.

The exact details PP everyone in the league runs.

Our Pk has changed

I would agree with you, pp is made up by the skill of the players on the unit. Petan and Laine have been our improvements

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

Breakouts are the same. Dump in is the same. But in the zone is different even though the formation is similar. There's a lot more set plays and you can tell they've practiced it. They also have some rule that says either pass the puck or move/rotate.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Strange how he is still reluctant to put Laine out often. Buf gets the most time
yet hasn't scored in ages on the PP. He is using Laine more but not nearly enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->