News Article: Jets name Jamie Kompon new assistant coach.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Yes, I do think some walk around with a sense of entitlement. Patrick Kane, Evander Kane, Ryan Johansen, PK Subban, take your pick of the self-centered *******s in the league of late, they are all considered millennials.

As for the Portland situation, that was just my comment that I wouldn't give a **** what these twerps thought of him as a coach.

Don't you think you are over reacting a bit by calling a bunch of kids you never met
names?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Why take his word for it? I would like to see HC provide some statistical evidence to support his "hot garbage" claim.

Yeah this, let's quantify "hot garbage " before we all run with that opinion meaning anything.

Seems to be enough evidence to the contrary really.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Honestly, every fan base is excited when a new coach gets hired, and then they slowly turned into a pariah. The dude has an impressive resume and a wealth of experience, so I'm going to reserve judgement.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Because he followed the Kings during Kompon's tenure. The stats don't really support the claim, but maybe they underachieved?

With the Kings, they kind of do. The year they won the cup they were something like 17th on pp. The year after, when Kompon had moved on to Chicago, they went all the way up to 10th. There could be a lot of reasons for that. A full season of Jeff Carter could help with that maybe, but I have no idea who they acquired that off season.

But when Kompon took over in Chicago, their PP was terrible. Bottom third of the league...but in his last season there, their PP was 10th.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The "eyetest" evaluation of coaches by the general public is IMO far less reliable than the "eyetest" evaluation of players. And we know how off our eyes can be with players.

Coaches are voodoo

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I think the stint with Portland is pretty much meaningless and should be ignored along with those players comments. Claude Noel stated that he found that coaching Junior was a totally different thing than any level of pro. Having an assistant who has worked under two coaching greats and has two Stanley Cup rings is not meaningless however.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I think the stint with Portland is pretty much meaningless and should be ignored along with those players comments. Claude Noel stated that he found that coaching Junior was a totally different thing than any level of pro. Having an assistant who has worked under two coaching greats and has two Stanley Cup rings is not meaningless however.

this is a pretty good summary of assistant coaching.

if you're a great assistant, you're probably looking for a head coach job.
if you're a horrible assistant, you won't be coaching for long.
otherwise, assistant coaches are hired to be fired.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Assuming they go with 4 forwards and 1 D on the PP

PP #1 - Scheif, Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine & Buff
PP #2 - Little, Connor, Perrault, "?" + Myers

I think "?" can be Petan (if he's with the Jets), Stafford, Trouba, Enstrom, Armia or Dano

The bad Jets PP's were too slow in puck movement to create the high % chances which led to endless perimeter work or rushed shots that often cleared the zone.

Hopefully a fresh look will improve things.
But if Laine improves things as much as we think he will... then how much credit does the coaching get?

Hoping Postma is a 5/6 guy this season and gets 2nd PP. So, replace Myers with Postma. And I'd put Petan as the "?".

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
PMo hand picked this guy correct? Think Chevy said in an interview That he was doing all the work of finding a new assistant coach... I'm not sure how important coaches are at the NHL level. You can't win a match of chess with 16 pawns.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
this is a pretty good summary of assistant coaching.

if you're a great assistant, you're probably looking for a head coach job.
if you're a horrible assistant, you won't be coaching for long.
otherwise, assistant coaches are hired to be fired.

Not in Wpg. Here its like a senate appointment.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
PMo hand picked this guy correct? Think Chevy said in an interview That he was doing all the work of finding a new assistant coach... I'm not sure how important coaches are at the NHL level. You can't win a match of chess with 16 pawns.

It is quite normal for the head coach to select his assistant coaches. What was unusual in fact was that Maurice did not bring anyone in before now. Surprising to run so long with the previous regime's guys

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'll start putting weight behind fans' assessments of assistant coaches when anyone on this board can clarify the role the almost-universally-vilified Vincent had in the Jets' powerplay.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't know much about this guy, but its pretty hard to argue with his resume.

A couple of cups as an assistant and seems to have consistently been in charge of above average PP units. On face value he seems like a positive addition to the coaching staff and if history is any indication we should likely see substantial improvement in our pp next year.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
He'll be a necessary Kompon...ent..............................................................

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My main concern with this hire is that he'll be too focused on playing the "big, heavy" game that Maurice and Sutter seem to favour. Will we see too much of Lowry and Thorburn with a "heavy forecheck" instead of a speed / skill game? I much prefer if he brings his experience from the Hawks, with an emphasis on a quick game with lots of puck movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad