Post-Game Talk: Jets lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Tyler Myers was awful last night. He has not been good. I don't know the details of his injury, but I am now starting to believe that he is not the guy we thought we got in 2015. It could be that either he was damaged goods waiting to happen, or the injury he sustained with the Jets has changed him forever. He deserves more time to show what he has got, so I am am still optimistic that it is just rust that is really thick and he will get his game back. But the clock is ticking.

Buffalo is looking pretty good on that trade right now.

Eh, Sabres haven't done anything and Kane's probably walking this year. We still have Roslovic and Lemieux out of the deal.

Bogo is as bad as Myers lol.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't personally ever really blame players because they can only do what their capable of.

Its up to the coach and gm to identify which players are capable of what and how to use them.

Individual players are not the problem of this team. They didn't just appear here.

If we have an ineffecient lineup, or young players who aren't panning out it's not because those players aren't trying hard enough,, it's because the people who acquired them or deployed them didn't accurately determine what they were.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I said I was going to give PoMo until the 20 game mark and that still stands. Haven't been impressed with the results yet. I'm also not lighting my hair on fire and running around in circles.

I've given him two years. Try to find me complaining incessantly about coaching prior to this year - won't happen. I'm not happy with what I'm seeing on ice, and I do not believe it's due to the roster at this point. Calling it an echo chamber (or blaming it on group think) is unfairly labeling and devaluing the opinions of individuals, IMO. You can't accurately describe how those opinions have been formed.

If you really don't like hearing about coaching discussions, then either ignore it, or put people on ignore. Nothing I've read in this GDT to this point breaks any site rules.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Eh, Sabres haven't done anything and Kane's probably walking this year. We still have Roslovic and Lemieux out of the deal.

We also got a playoff appearance. I got to be part of a whiteout.

Reactions: MardyBum

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
That's why I'll jvetch about the coach and gm. We can have bad players but having bad players is the symptom of bad gming/coaching.

Either we've got a good roster the coach can't sort out, or we've got a bad gm who's built a bad roster. That's really sort or where this conversation goes. If petan and dano are garbage players then we made bad decisions acquiring them.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't personally ever really blame players because they can only do what their capable of.

Its up to the coach and gm to identify which players are capable of what and how to use them.

Individual players are not the problem of this team. They didn't just appear here.

If we have an ineffecient lineup, or young players who aren't panning out it's not because those players aren't trying hard enough,, it's because the people who acquired them or deployed them didn't accurately determine what they were.

Just remember, there are some teams that finish in last place at years end, then fire the coach, and then hire a new coach, then finish first the next year, with the "same players." I recall this happened to St.Louis Blues- Hitchcock took over a last place team, and in his first year, he had them finish first.( after finishing last the year before)

So- you have to find out if it's the players or coach ??? I think the player talent is here for the Jets.

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
I still say it has a lot to do with talent. I think if POMO thought he had the talent for a "top 9" he would do it. I'm not sure he's choosing to do a top 6/bottom 6 cause he's so blind/stubborn/naïve/old school. I think maybe he does it because he feels he has no other choice given the talent level on the team. *shrug*

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
That's why I'll jvetch about the coach and gm. We can have bad players but having bad players is the symptom of bad gming/coaching.

Either we've got a good roster the coach can't sort out, or we've got a bad gm who's built a bad roster. That's really sort or where this conversation goes. If petan and dano are garbage players then we made bad decisions acquiring them.

Or both. Or a career .500 coach who's stuck in the past and a GM who deemed it vital to retain pretty much everyone from his 20th-place team.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Typically before a coaching change the GM would prefer to make a trade to shake up the roster. It would present a little discomfort to the group.

I think management would find some of what they see troubling even though the 3-3 record is not at "panic" stage. They seem to have invested alot on team success this year. There may not be the normal level of "patience."

I doubt Maurice is let go as long as the team is getting wins.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Highlight of the night was when Buff and Myers were on the PK. Buff is on strong side and pressures puck carrier into scrum on half wall. Myers skates all the way across the ice to take part in puck battle, leaving Wheeler to defend 2 Jackets. Comically, the puck comes out, Wheeler whiffs on it, and the Jackets have a 2 on 0 on Mason. Tyler "Bad Buff" Myers, ladies and gentlemen.

Those saying we have bigger problems than Brandon Tanev are half-right. Its mostly irrelevant who the players are right now because Maurice's gameplan is based on defending and getting 95% goaltending. No forecheck. Flip it out to center, bang it off the glass, re-group. Breakout strategy to wingers standing still on half wall gets exposed by any peewee coach. Out-shot and out-chanced every game but his favorite stats are offensive zone time and plus minus - stuff that has been debunked for a decade but he still likes because they don't assign minuses to coaches.

On the other hand, Brandon Tanev is the living proof that, not only can Maurice not develop a system relevant to the NHL in this millennium, he doesn't even know who is good at playing hockey. Tanev is the canary in the coal mine and every shift he gets just reinforces that our Emperor has no clothes.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting place here.

I certainly share some of the angst here about the teams start but I've found it interesting with never ending confirmation biases that go on here regarding the coaching staff.

I said I was going to give PoMo until the 20 game mark and that still stands. Haven't been impressed with the results yet. I'm also not lighting my hair on fire and running around in circles.

I guess I end up defending PoMo fairly often because this place just becomes an echo chamber of what I find to be poorly formed arguments. It's been decided that PoMo and the coaching staff is the only problem with this team.

It's tiring to read after every single game that our coach got out coached. The ****ing players also got out played. I find it incredible to see the number of NHL systems experts that have been around/created over the last half a year when that became the thing to ***** about. I understand that some have a high level of knowledge but let's be honest it's not the majority.

There was a lot of instances last year where post after post would lament our D zone systems claiming that's why we weren't good when the truth was our CA and Chances against were average at worst. It was our D zone systems ability to stiffle our own offense that was really the culprit of our CF% woes.

Thats one of the reasons why I'm often found defending the coaching staff (there are plenty more in this same vein however). I'm not peticularly fond of the results from PoMo this year to date. Especially in the PK department which was one of my hot buttons this year but things like the line deployment and player usage have been nowhere near as bad as it sounds by reading here. For instance I'm really surprised that free Dano speaches stop after he takes dumb penalties but the penalties never get addressed by those advocating he deserves more ice time.

I'm not too concerned with the micro stuff like usage right now. I'm concerned with the Macro stuff. What is the road map on how to be good. What are the teams shared values and the goals on how to be successful. I've said before that there appears to be some divergent views in the room which is leading to the team not being in sync. Heck Moe even said the players didn't play the way He wanted them to last night which tells me that their is resistance to his plan in room. Something needs to give As this team is largely spinning it's wheels.

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava

Agreed. The big trade honestly at the end of the day, was much ado about nothing. Kane and Bogo NEEDED to go, so really that's the only reason this will always be a Win for the jets probably. Unless Roslo turns into something special, this is all meh.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Is this the same Oilers team that won a round of playoffs last season? 1 game from the West final?

Well yeah but that had nothing to do with what I was saying.

It's the same Oiler team we beat fairly handily and deserved the win. Go watch the McLellan post gamer if you don't believe me.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The Jackets showed us that even if the Jets were to squeak into the playoffs , we are no where near Cup contention. They just didn't beat the Jets, they embarrassed the Jets...they showed we aren't anywhere near the same level they are at.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
While i dont agree, i think they looked ok tonight, i have to wonder why little and patty are still together. Change it up

I have to suspect that it is because PMo has decided that Scheifele and Wheeler will play together. There will be no deviation.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The Jackets showed us that even if the Jets were to squeak into the playoffs , we are no where near Cup contention. They just didn't beat the Jets, they embarrassed the Jets...they showed we aren't anywhere near the same level they are at.

It's not how you start the season.....it's how you finish it. Also 1 game is very different than a 7 game series. Go ask Ovi about that part. And IIRC Nashville just barely squeaked in last year. How did that work out for them?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I have to suspect that it is because PMo has decided that Scheifele and Wheeler will play together. There will be no deviation.

Someone suggested a rumour a while ago that it is actually Scheifele who prefers not to play with Laine

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Well yeah but that had nothing to do with what I was saying.

It's the same Oiler team we beat fairly handily and deserved the win. Go watch the McLellan post gamer if you don't believe me.
It means they have a track record that we don't. It means that their slow starts can still mean be a season salvaged. We don't have a winning pedigree.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Or that Little and Patrik will play together. There will be no deviation.

Boneheaded idiot. ESW had one good game.

But like i said earlier, probably doesn't matter who plays with who as long as Maurice is at helm.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
It means they have a track record that we don't. It means that their slow starts can still mean be a season salvaged. We don't have a winning pedigree.

Yeah I don't disagree but you or someone else said we deserved to lose all 6 games and my response was

The Edmonton Oilers say hello.

Why?

Because according to the Oilers themselves they had no business winning that game.

BTW you weren't the only one to misinterpret what I said. Someone else posted a bunch of fancy stats for the whole season which had nothing to do with the game we played against them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad