Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
I'm not sure I'd take Kris Versteeg for free at this point. At this stage of his career I do not see him as any sort of impact player. He may be a small upgrade to Eric O'Dell, but that doesn't excite me at all, given that the two are at opposite ends of the their careers. I have little appreciation for Versteeg's game.

Sharp is nice, but is not a player with a long time horizon of elite play (most likely). I suppose he could go full Lidstrom, St. Louis, etc. but that is a risky bet to hedge. Leddy is nice too, but Sharp, Leddy and Versteeg does not exactly thrill me, let along thrill me enough to trade Kane within the division and watch him put up on us for many years.

I agree about Versteeg not being a super impact player but he is an upgrade over Odell.Sharp is older yes but he will continue to put up numbers for a few more years.Leddy is a better player than Clitsome so no harm there.You need to be ready for Kane to play against us within the division because there is a good possibility that could happen.The deal is not the worst we give up one player playing in the NHl and they give us three.Not everyone will like this trade and it's just talk anyway but I would rather go this route then stay exactly how we are right now and just call up Odell.But everyone has there own opinion

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Chicago didn't win the cup last year.

If you want to try to build a team where you trade away young players with loads of potential and team owned years for aging players on the decline, best of luck with that.

I can guarantee you it won't work. Ask the Calgary Flames and the Toronto Maple Leafs how that worked out for them the past 10 years.

Sharp is a good player, but he's 32, and is signed for 2 more years at 5.9MM cap hit. He is most likely going to decline over that time.

Versteeg is a 10 goal scorer. That is 440,000 per goal. Do you really want that clogging up our internal cap?

Leddy is obviously the 'prize' in this deal, but he is small, plays sheltered minutes. He may end up being our top 4 solution but it's far from a slam dunk.

Evander Kane is signed for 4 more years. He has already scored 30 as a 21 year old.

We are going to take on 7MM more cap for 10 more goals and a 4/5 tweener defenseman. In 2 years we could lose the majority of those goals to FA, and those goals will naturally decline anyway due to Sharp's age.

Meanwhile, Kane will continue to get smarter and stronger, and will probably be a 40 goal man with potential for higher than that.

Sure, fair trade.

I stand by my yuck comment. The Jets are HUGE losers in this deal.

yep.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa

If you want to try to build a team where you trade away young players with loads of potential and team owned years for aging players on the decline, best of luck with that.

I can guarantee you it won't work. Ask the Calgary Flames and the Toronto Maple Leafs how that worked out for them the past 10 years.

Sharp is a good player, but he's 32, and is signed for 2 more years at 5.9MM cap hit. He is most likely going to decline over that time.

Versteeg is a 10 goal scorer. That is 440,000 per goal. Do you really want that clogging up our internal cap?

Leddy is obviously the 'prize' in this deal, but he is small, plays sheltered minutes. He may end up being our top 4 solution but it's far from a slam dunk.

Evander Kane is signed for 4 more years. He has already scored 30 as a 21 year old.

We are going to take on 7MM more cap for 10 more goals and a 4/5 tweener defenseman. In 2 years we could lose the majority of those goals to FA, and those goals will naturally decline anyway due to Sharp's age.

Meanwhile, Kane will continue to get smarter and stronger, and will probably be a 40 goal man with potential for higher than that.

Sure, fair trade.

Your opinion everyone has there own.

And yes they did win it last year 2012-2013 the Kings won it this year 2013-2014
Last year was 2012-2013 this year was 2013-2014

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
OK you got me there.

No arguing.lol Really though I do hope Kane has a better year and decides he likes the Jets.All this talk on here is for fun we know it's not going to happen.Im good with everything we have now except we need one more decent player for the third line someone other than Odell.I like him but right now he makes a really good 4th line player and that's all.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

Sure, fair trade.

So you think the Edmonton route is the way to go. I don't want to be mediocre, we need players now who are winners and have experience, this could be the only opportunity with the salary cap situation the way it is. Do it now before someone else does.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So you think the Edmonton route is the way to go. I don't want to be mediocre, we need players now who are winners and have experience, this could be the only opportunity with the salary cap situation the way it is. Do it now before someone else does.

How in gods name did you get that from my post?

Was I advocating trading all of our vets away? No.

Was I advocating tanking, even in this very rich upcoming 15 draft to get blue chippers? NO.

I was suggesting that you don't improve a team by trading away young elite players with still unrealized potential that belong to your organization for multiple years for aging, declining players who will be lost to FA and players who are no more than cap hits.

The WORST thing you can do as an organization is make a move just to shake **** up.

If you were advocating trading Byfuglien, I'd be on board. If you were advocating burying Pavelec in the minors, again, on board.

IF you were advocating trading Kane for ROR... I would be interested to see what that deal would entail.

As someone who followed the Oilers til the Jets return I can assure you I am not advocating the Oilers plan at all.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
My favourite is still probably Maatta + Sutter for Kane (something that fans of both sides have been ok with)

Ladd Little Frolik
Buff Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault Sutter O'Dell
Tangradi Slater Peluso/Thorburn

Enstrom Bogosian
Maatta Trouba
Stuart/Clitsome Postma

Buff can hold ground for top 6 LW until Ehlers is ready, can trade Enstrom in a year or two for forward help when both Maatta and Morrissey are ready to hold top LHD.

A top 4 D of:

Maatta Trouba
Morrissey Bogo

Gets me pretty giddy.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
How in gods name did you get that from my post?

Was I advocating trading all of our vets away? No.

Was I advocating tanking, even in this very rich upcoming 15 draft to get blue chippers? NO.

I was suggesting that you don't improve a team by trading away young elite players with still unrealized potential that belong to your organization for multiple years for aging, declining players who will be lost to FA and players who are no more than cap hits.

The WORST thing you can do as an organization is make a move just to shake **** up.

If you were advocating trading Byfuglien, I'd be on board. If you were advocating burying Pavelec in the minors, again, on board.

IF you were advocating trading Kane for ROR... I would be interested to see what that deal would entail.

As someone who followed the Oilers til the Jets return I can assure you I am not advocating the Oilers plan at all.

you look back at some of those Tambellini trades and it's unbelievable how bad he was

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
I think stuff is getting misread on hear about certain things.I am going to give my opinion only.I don't think it is the best thing to give up young for old but I do think that we need to do something,anything we can now to make this upcoming season better.If we have a player on our team that is not interested in being here and we are in need for some repairs I say make them.Its a roll of the dice it happens everyday in all sports.Try to find the best option out there to fix the problems of a sinking team.Look for young high goal scoring players to replace your players but it's not always out there.Most young players are already signed somewhere else and ready to go.If an option comes up to get some players that can make an instant impact on your team you need to do it.They may be young they may be older but the point is what can they do for us right now this year not 3 or 4 years away.That is so far away we will make several deals between now and then through trades or drafts or call ups.I would not be afraid to trade Kane away for something to help the team out right away.Or maybe it's trade Buff or whoever,the bottom line is we need help now.We will play exactly how we did last year without some changes.Im tired of sweating and being stressed out every game when we squeak by other teams.We got some great prospects through the draft but they are not ready yet.The only change we made is Perrault and I'm not sure it's a huge upgrade from Olli.So if we are basically the same team as last year how good are we gonna be?Changes need to be made. We can all be armchair GM's all we want but Chevy needs to make something happen which I'm sure he is working on I hope.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Totally understood about older players but I think we need to look at a different angle here.We bring players in now that can help us get into the playoffs and possibly make a run at the cup and do this for a couple of years and 2 things happen.The first thing is we start to get the fans back into it and keep butts in the seats because lets face it without fans in the seats you can't have a team because the obvious no money.The second is other players in the future start to see that we are not bottom dwellers and we are a serious hockey club therefore we gain interest in top players for future trades.We will always have prospects it happens every year and we don't have a problem drafting its trades and signing high end players that we have the problem.Here is the sad thing.We might could make this work with Chicago but Sharp and Versteeg might not want to play here because of were we sit every year in the standings.Im sorry people but we need immediate help to start this upcoming season not wait 2 or even 3 years to bring in prospects.We might have to give up some pieces to begin to be good this year.So Kane is younger so what he is said to have quite the attitude which can kill a locker room.I know a bunch of fans did not like the Thorburn signing.Yes maybe it was a little too long but players say he is a positive voice in the locker room that can keep up spirits of the players.You think they signed him because he scores a bunch of goals or because he fights.Thats not why we have Peluso for fighting it was his attitude and that he never gives up on the ice.What I'm saying is forget about giving up players or trying to find young guys to bring in.We need guys that can be an impact now.If this deal was done tomorrow I would be very happy,excited and counting the days till the puck drops because I know we would be a force to be reckoned with.We might not win the cup this year but I bet we get a lot closer.

Nope. Sorry as soon as a few others started looking at it the holes became all too many and too big. The age issue with Sharp is just a killer. The other pieces aren't good enough to overcome that.

This ends up back where I started. It is going to be very difficult for Chicago to find a trading partner for Sharp that achieves the goal of shedding salary. That requires them to give up young assets for old and that just doesn't work out however tempting Sharp may be.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Sure, fair trade.

There are a few mistakes in your post. Sharp has 3 years left not 2. Versteeg was traded out of that expensive contract. Florida retained half his salary and cap hit. Chicago holds 2.2milx2 more years. 12 goals = 183k/goal. Minor nitpicking though the conclusion is the same. Sharp is too old, Versteeg and Leddy just aren't good enough. I'd like to have those 3 players but couldn't do that deal for Kane alone never mind adding. 2 or 3 years, maybe 4 and we have a defenseman who may not have risen to 2nd pair level.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am excited as hell about the upcoming waivers. I'm sure Chevy will finally "put his stamp on this team" at the season's waivers deadline.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Edmonton? Really? The youngest player on the Jets top line is 26 y/o. The oldest player on Edmonton's top line is 24 y/o.

I mean, at 23 y/o and 324 NHL games Kane would be one of the Oilers most experienced forwards.

There are probably 4 or 5 players on the Jets roster today that if they were traded to the Oilers would immediately be made captain.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Nope. Sorry as soon as a few others started looking at it the holes became all too many and too big. The age issue with Sharp is just a killer. The other pieces aren't good enough to overcome that.

This ends up back where I started. It is going to be very difficult for Chicago to find a trading partner for Sharp that achieves the goal of shedding salary. That requires them to give up young assets for old and that just doesn't work out however tempting Sharp may be.
I don't think you have to worry. Pitched this trade on main board and not one hawks fan liked it. If their GM thinks the same way we can move on. I do think the coach will have a short leash on Pav, and he was told before he left, come ready.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I am excited as hell about the upcoming waivers. I'm sure Chevy will finally "put his stamp on this team" at the season's waivers deadline.

I wouldn't mind Kirill Kabanov. I know he's not going to be an instant impact but another good (cheap) prospect never hurts. Islander fans look sad to lose him too, which is always a good sign.

pondnorth

Dec 16, 2005
Totally understood about older players but I think we need to look at a different angle here.We bring players in now that can help us get into the playoffs and possibly make a run at the cup and do this for a couple of years and 2 things happen.The first thing is we start to get the fans back into it and keep butts in the seats because lets face it without fans in the seats you can't have a team because the obvious no money.The second is other players in the future start to see that we are not bottom dwellers and we are a serious hockey club therefore we gain interest in top players for future trades.We will always have prospects it happens every year and we don't have a problem drafting its trades and signing high end players that we have the problem.Here is the sad thing.We might could make this work with Chicago but Sharp and Versteeg might not want to play here because of were we sit every year in the standings.Im sorry people but we need immediate help to start this upcoming season not wait 2 or even 3 years to bring in prospects.We might have to give up some pieces to begin to be good this year.So Kane is younger so what he is said to have quite the attitude which can kill a locker room.I know a bunch of fans did not like the Thorburn signing.Yes maybe it was a little too long but players say he is a positive voice in the locker room that can keep up spirits of the players.You think they signed him because he scores a bunch of goals or because he fights.Thats not why we have Peluso for fighting it was his attitude and that he never gives up on the ice.What I'm saying is forget about giving up players or trying to find young guys to bring in.We need guys that can be an impact now.If this deal was done tomorrow I would be very happy,excited and counting the days till the puck drops because I know we would be a force to be reckoned with.We might not win the cup this year but I bet we get a lot closer.
What are you talking about putting fans in the seats? You clearly have no clue whats going on in Wpg with fans or the way the organization operates.You are welcome to your opinion but do a little research before making these weird statements.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
What are you talking about putting fans in the seats? You clearly have no clue whats going on in Wpg with fans or the way the organization operates.You are welcome to your opinion but do a little research before making these weird statements.

Do you know why the Atlanta Thrashers were moved from Atlanta to here?I guess not.The fan base will decline if the team continues on this downward spiral it happens in every city.You think this one is special and the owners just pay for everything?And don't say The thrashers left because they suck because I have news for you so do we right now.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

First of all, he's not from Winnipeg so cut him some slack. Secondly, he isn't totally wrong. Sure we have a long waiting list for season tickets and a perpetual sellout but nothing lasts forever.

It was interesting to watch this documentary on Detroit last night. The city peaked in the 50's at 1.85MM people all on the backs of cars. It was the one of the wealthiest cities in America. They thought the golden goose would keep laying eggs and when it stopped, they had no answer.

Today the city (proper) is smaller than the city of Winnipeg and many parts of it are in the state of ruins.

If the organization doesn't get better, it will hurt the bottom line. It would take some time to get to the point where we don't sell out, but IMHO it will eventually happen.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
And I know the next thing your going to say is the owners of the team own the building and everything that runs through MTS is more revenue for the owners and the team.The comment was made more for the fact that you put a crappy team on the ice season after season and it going to lose attendance.The team may not fold because of that but it pretty embarrassing to drop attendance because of a hockey team.Not to mention money would decline May not be enough to fold the team but trust me the owners feel it.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
First of all, he's not from Winnipeg so cut him some slack. Secondly, he isn't totally wrong. Sure we have a long waiting list for season tickets and a perpetual sellout but nothing lasts forever.

It was interesting to watch this documentary on Detroit last night. The city peaked in the 50's at 1.85MM people all on the backs of cars. It was the one of the wealthiest cities in America. They thought the golden goose would keep laying eggs and when it stopped, they had no answer.

Today the city (proper) is smaller than the city of Winnipeg and many parts of it are in the state of ruins.

If the organization doesn't get better, it will hurt the bottom line. It would take some time to get to the point where we don't sell out, but IMHO it will eventually happen.

Thank you for that.Thats exactly what I was talking about.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Not if the Jets draft Connor McDavid. Another decade of sell outs guaranteed. :naughty:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not if the Jets draft Connor McDavid. Another decade of sell outs guaranteed. :naughty:

Haha it's nice to dream :laugh:

The more I think about it though the more I want to bite the bullet and see if there is a way we could get another 1st in next years draft. We most likely won't make the playoffs with Mr. 900 in net so we might as well use a losing season to our benefit.

Of course, in my perfect world Hutch quickly unseats Pavelec as starter and we make the playoffs. Stranger things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad