Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Dustin Penner as a LW moneypuck FA? Good P/60 and possession numbers. Winnipeg has a couple decent pancake places too. ;)

I'm hoping one of the teams in cap trouble want to make a deal, but ...

As a former Oilers fan who watched a younger Penner? I don't think he is the guy. He's like Buff as a for...

Nevermind. :laugh:

My issue with Penner has always been motivation and whether he is up and ready to play.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
You rate Petan and Lodge equally? I hope not!

Not at all. That wasn't what I was getting at. Petan would be a much better prospect. I just included them for an example. They would be two guys I would be willing to move in a deal like that.

I didn't include Copp, Kossy, Lowry or Lipon as they are guys I would t be willing to move yet.

An Eriksson trade is pretty unlikely, anyway.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The award was first given out for the 2003-2004 season. Healey was still a member of the Thrashers.

That is true: it's also true that he only played 31 more games for the Thrashers due to injury and the 2004 lockout. But prior to the end of the lockout, he asked to be traded "in hopes of leaving reminders of the tragic accident behind." (as per Wikipedia).

I'm not sure he'd want to be reminded again. That said: the larger issue with Heatley is that he can't really play hockey anymore. Really doesn't fit what the Jets have stated their modus operandi is going forward. That's a larger red flag regarding this rumour.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
NYI blogger on hockeybuzz.com says that now that the Isles have all these forwards, a forward will probably get traded for a D. Byfuglien? Bogosian?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
As a former Oilers fan who watched a younger Penner? I don't think he is the guy. He's like Buff as a for...

Nevermind. :laugh:

My issue with Penner has always been motivation and whether he is up and ready to play.

Fair 'nuff! Just rooting through Capgeek for UFA's that might be a 'moneypuck' pick. :nod: :D

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Not at all. That wasn't what I was getting at. Petan would be a much better prospect. I just included them for an example. They would be two guys I would be willing to move in a deal like that.

I didn't include Copp, Kossy, Lowry or Lipon as they are guys I would t be willing to move yet.

An Eriksson trade is pretty unlikely, anyway.

So you're willing to move the potential top 6 prospects, but not the potential bottom 6 prospects?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
So you're willing to move the potential top 6 prospects, but not the potential bottom 6 prospects?

IMO, I think it would be less likely that Lodge or Petan plays in the NHL. The others likely will, even if it's in a bottom 6 role.

I see Scheifele in the middle, long term and Little for a few more years. Baring an unforeseen flop, Perreault will be here for 3 yrs, until guys like Copp or Lowry push for that position. So it may be hard for Petan to crack the top 9, or 6.

And my preference would be for more size at the Center position. I think the Jets like size at that position too, or they wouldn't have shifted Lowry to Center. Petan was good value in the 2nd rd and may be a good NHL'er, but his value could also be in a trade.

jetkarma*

NYI blogger on hockeybuzz.com says that now that the Isles have all these forwards, a forward will probably get traded for a D. Byfuglien? Bogosian?

First thing I thought about when I heard of the signings.

There was speculation before the draft and we do seem to be good trade partners. I would hope that Snow is enamoured with one of our RHD and is very anxious to continue the build.

Isles have some pieces that could work well for us .

Derfel*

D. Byfuglien makes sense, but I think it's Z. Bogosian?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
IMO, I think it would be less likely that Lodge or Petan plays in the NHL. The others likely will, even if it's in a bottom 6 role.

I see Scheifele in the middle, long term and Little for a few more years. Baring an unforeseen flop, Perreault will be here for 3 yrs, until guys like Copp or Lowry push for that position. So it may be hard for Petan to crack the top 9, or 6.

And my preference would be for more size at the Center position. I think the Jets like size at that position too, or they wouldn't have shifted Lowry to Center. Petan was good value in the 2nd rd and may be a good NHL'er, but his value could also be in a trade.

A preference for size down the middle is not a bad thing, but remember that all small centers can get pushed to the wing. Plus let's not pretend that Lipon or Kosmachuck are big boys themselves. I also really hope we have Little for more than just a few more years. He's one of the best two-way centers in the entire NHL.

Overall the NHL and the NHL Draft has proven that skill beats size in development. Similar skill levels in bigger bodies win out overall, but more skill in a smaller body beats less skill in a bigger body more than 50% of the time.

Also, Petan is a very special prospect. I don't think people realize that players do not put up the kinds of numbers he has, at a consistent level, at his age, regardless of size very often. It's incredibly rare and he's a pretty special type of prospect. With his talent I think he has a better chance of making the big show than Lowry, Copp, etc.

Honestly wouldn't mind Seto back at this point. It's slim pickings out there.

I would rather play one of our AHL kids like O'Dell or Klingberg in all honesty. Seto was a waste and did not fit in on the ice or off it.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Good lord. I had nightmares in the back of my head that Chevy might go after Heatley.

Didn't he already learn what that other guy did coming from SJ to Minny to Winnipeg? I don't even care if he's vet minimum. Stay away Heatley!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Honestly wouldn't mind Seto back at this point. It's slim pickings out there.

I'd rather wait for the cap strapped teams to call. Something tells me Seto will still be available for a while.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
First thing I thought about when I heard of the signings.

There was speculation before the draft and we do seem to be good trade partners. I would hope that Snow is enamoured with one of our RHD and is very anxious to continue the build.

Isles have some pieces that could work well for us .

I don't know. I looked at their forwards and there are a lot of lower end quantity with a few guys that are good to decent. I really don't see a marquee piece on that roster that I see the Isle's moving. I don't believe Nelson or Grabner as center pieces comes close to doing it for me. Coupled with the fact that the Islanders not having a first round pick this year and I don't see a great fit unless the part with say Okposo (doubtful)

jetkarma*

D. Byfuglien makes sense, but I think it's Z. Bogosian?

Either could make sense imo , depends on the return . Buff impacts them more right away and is that PP hammer that is very valuable . He is older and has less term though.

Bogosian has all the tools , is young , local and is locked up . The signings really open up some players to be moved from the Islanders and that could be higher end players young/younger mid level players.

Nelson and Grabner for example , local ties , position flexibility , some size , some speed ... we all speculate but this has some legitimacy I believe. Isles have extra forwards and a need for a RHD , if one had to pick one position we currently have as somewhat a surplus it would be that I think .

Last edited by a moderator:

jetkarma*

I don't know. I looked at their forwards and there are a lot of lower end quantity with a few guys that are good to decent. I really don't see a marquee piece on that roster that I see the Isle's moving. I don't believe Nelson or Grabner as center pieces comes close to doing it for me. Coupled with the fact that the Islanders not having a first round pick this year and I don't see a great fit unless the part with say Okposo (doubtful)

They have some bigger pieces like Strome , or some like Nelson and Grabner as we both mentioned. If there was a trade , it could be massaged in a way that would work I think . Isles have a real desire , ( Snow ) to win and make an impact now, so trading futures as well could certainly be a part of it.

They have too many pieces at forward now , somethings going to happen I think . May not be with us , but I bet we explore the possibility .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They have some bigger pieces like Strome , or some like Nelson and Grabner as we both mentioned. If there was a trade , it could be massaged in a way that would work I think . Isles have a real desire , ( Snow ) to win and make an impact now, so trading futures as well could certainly be a part of it.

They have too many pieces at forward now , somethings going to happen I think . May not be with us , but I bet we explore the possibility .

Sure, but I don't see them moving a Strome. They will try to pan off guys like Nelson and Grabner plus picks and b prospects imo and if that's the case I'd just as soon keep Buff at wing this year and allow Bogo to hopefully bounce back.

jetkarma*

Sure, but I don't see them moving a Strome. They will try to pan off guys like Nelson and Grabner plus picks and b prospects imo and if that's the case I'd just as soon keep Buff at wing this year and allow Bogo to hopefully bounce back.

Depends how motivated they are , they could be very motivated , saying that , the deal has to work for us obviously . Islanders have enough options at forward now to explore this imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->