Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Just look at Vancouver..........4 years ago they were at the top of the NHL Hill with Stanley Cup finals and a huge waiting lists for tickets.. After last year Cluster**** of a season (thank you GM MG) last week they opened up season tickets for next year to the general public.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Haha it's nice to dream :laugh:

Of course, in my perfect world Hutch quickly unseats Pavelec as starter and we make the playoffs. Stranger things have happened.

Pav then is so pissed at losing his #1 status, he retires from hockey.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
First of all, he's not from Winnipeg so cut him some slack. Secondly, he isn't totally wrong. Sure we have a long waiting list for season tickets and a perpetual sellout but nothing lasts forever.

It was interesting to watch this documentary on Detroit last night. The city peaked in the 50's at 1.85MM people all on the backs of cars. It was the one of the wealthiest cities in America. They thought the golden goose would keep laying eggs and when it stopped, they had no answer.

Today the city (proper) is smaller than the city of Winnipeg and many parts of it are in the state of ruins.

If the organization doesn't get better, it will hurt the bottom line. It would take some time to get to the point where we don't sell out, but IMHO it will eventually happen.

And I know the next thing your going to say is the owners of the team own the building and everything that runs through MTS is more revenue for the owners and the team.The comment was made more for the fact that you put a crappy team on the ice season after season and it going to lose attendance.The team may not fold because of that but it pretty embarrassing to drop attendance because of a hockey team.Not to mention money would decline May not be enough to fold the team but trust me the owners feel it.

The waiting list and the sellouts could disappear quite quickly if the mood of the fanbase changes. It all looks good now but if the fans begin to get fed up it happens to thousands with in a short time. Fortunately the waiting list is a bit like a canary in a coal mine. If the size of that starts to drop sharply that will be the advanced warning. I don't see any immediate danger of that now but what if next June we hear "Pavelec is our starting goalie"?

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I wouldn't mind Kirill Kabanov. I know he's not going to be an instant impact but another good (cheap) prospect never hurts. Islander fans look sad to lose him too, which is always a good sign.

Kabanov's gone back to Europe and it is unlikely he'll ever play in North America again.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Kabanov's gone back to Europe and it is unlikely he'll ever play in North America again.

Cant believe I am going to suggest this, buuuut, we sign Seto for league min. for 1 yr, he might be more motivated to try and earn a bigger contract from some one else the following yr. He has put up good points in past. Na forget about it.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia

Well that's a shame. I thought he was good enough to make it in the NHL one day. Ah well, onto the next one.

Burmistrov was a little before my time as a fan- is he that good? What are the chances of his return?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Cant believe I am going to suggest this, buuuut, we sign Seto for league min. for 1 yr,

Apparently he's close to signing with a team in the east.

@FAN590Walker: Ok. So just to quell rumours...UFA Devin Setoguchi will not be signing with #Leafs. Down to pair of teams in East, neither is Toronto.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Apparently he's close to signing with a team in the east.

@FAN590Walker: Ok. So just to quell rumours...UFA Devin Setoguchi will not be signing with #Leafs. Down to pair of teams in East, neither is Toronto.

My guess is the NJ Devils.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well that's a shame. I thought he was good enough to make it in the NHL one day. Ah well, onto the next one.

Burmistrov was a little before my time as a fan- is he that good? What are the chances of his return?

Burmistrov is a controversial player as he had poor point production but the team out shot their opponents well with him on the ice. Also his linemates tended to have better point and shot metrics with him than without.

He is on contract for this season but was open to the idea of buying out his own contract if $ was sufficient, but the Jets did not agree with his asking price.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Cant believe I am going to suggest this, buuuut, we sign Seto for league min. for 1 yr, he might be more motivated to try and earn a bigger contract from some one else the following yr. He has put up good points in past. Na forget about it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will. :laugh: I'm happy to not see him in a Jets jersey again.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Burmistrov is a controversial player as he had poor point production but the team out shot their opponents well with him on the ice. Also his linemates tended to have better point and shot metrics with him than without.

Well isn't that really strange! Weird for his points to be low yet everyone else get better- sounds like he could really do a useful job if he returned. Why doesn't he want to be here?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A couple of observations about Kane from Friedman, for what it's worth (http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/07/30-thoughts-nhl-defenceman-cash-in-on-free-agent-frenzy.html):

26. Another guy with the same cap hit? Evander Kane. A couple of weeks ago, other teams were pretty sure he was getting traded. Now they are changing opinions, thinking he starts the year in Winnipeg. The Vancouver radio interview makes it tougher for the Jets, because teams squeeze them even harder. Kane's best option might be to start the year on a tear and drive up his value.

27. I had a debate with another exec about Kane. He asked if I would trade him. I said it would take a lot, because the Jets need help now and the guy is really talented. He pointed to Vancouver and Ryan Kesler. His argument was: how much better are the Canucks, simply because the distraction is over? Difficult to quantify, but a fair point.

I tend to agree with the idea of not trading Kane now, but starting the season with him. He might flourish and get off to a strong start. In that case, he might either decide he likes his current situation, or drive up his value. Either way, I expect that his value is unlikely to go down much as the season gets rolling, and some other teams are going to have a disappointing start and want to shake things up.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
A couple of observations about Kane from Friedman, for what it's worth (http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/07/30-thoughts-nhl-defenceman-cash-in-on-free-agent-frenzy.html):

I tend to agree with the idea of not trading Kane now, but starting the season with him. He might flourish and get off to a strong start. In that case, he might either decide he likes his current situation, or drive up his value. Either way, I expect that his value is unlikely to go down much as the season gets rolling, and some other teams are going to have a disappointing start and want to shake things up.

I am of the opinion now that the Jets will do nothing this year simply because they don't have too. I wouldn't expect them to do anything if they are losing until 2016 season when Buff and Ladd are entering the last years of their contract. If things keep going that route then I expect them to dump players and go for a short rebuild.

They could net a nice haul then with Kane,Ladd, and Buff moving on. You would have Morrissey,Ehlers,Petan,Lowry,Lipon etc.. ready to enter the lineup and you could go young with the possibility of multiple 1st rounders in 2016. You would have Wheeler,Little,Enstrom and Frolik as your Vets and basically it would become Schief/Trouba's team.

Thats if they continue the trend that were on. Maybe PoMo can turn it around. At least they probably are going to let him try for a year or so.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am of the opinion now that the Jets will do nothing this year simply because they don't have too. I wouldn't expect them to do anything if they are losing until 2016 season when Buff and Ladd are entering the last years of their contract. If things keep going that route then I expect them to dump players and go for a short rebuild.

They could net a nice haul then with Kane,Ladd, and Buff moving on. You would have Morrissey,Ehlers,Petan,Lowry,Lipon etc.. ready to enter the lineup and you could go young with the possibility of multiple 1st rounders in 2016. You would have Wheeler,Little,Enstrom and Frolik as your Vets and basically it would become Schief/Trouba's team.

Thats if they continue the trend that were on. Maybe PoMo can turn it around. At least they probably are going to let him try for a year or so.

I think that sounds about right. The only thing I would suggest is that if they have a chance to move Buff or Kane (or maybe Ladd) this upcoming season, they might do it to add a 2015 1st round pick.

Maurice was actually quite candid late last season in saying that he expected the Jets to take a few seasons before being able to climb up to a contender status. He went so far as to say that his job was to put this team into a position whereby it could make the leap, but he might not even be around when they got to that stage. So I think they are really committed to the "draft and develop" approach, and any trade of a core player would likely be for picks / prospects rather than short-term solutions.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I think though that if you're not looking to get Ladd and Buff re-signed, you need to move them this season for prospects and/or 2015 picks.

The reasoning is if you wait until 2016, and then get the prospects or picks, those players are not going to be ready for probably 2 or 3 years (unless the prospects are just about to make the jump), and more like 4 to really contribute (for the picks anyway). That's 2020 when those picks start to contribute. Scheifele is going to be 28 by then, and it's going to be the same conversation, but replacing Ladd / Buff etc, with Scheifele.

IMO, if they are not going to re-sign Ladd and Buff, we need those prospects now, and 2015 picks at the latest (because it's such a good draft). That way, those prospects can be playing by 2015 or 2016, and the 2015 pick (depending on how low), by 2016 or 2017.

For me, Chevy needs to know which way Ladd and Buff (and they as an org) are going to go. If those two are not re-signing, the time to move them is this season IMO.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

I get the "don't have to", from a contract perspective, but they may want to if they want to make the playoffs. If PoMo can't get 10+ points out of this crew to grab a playoff spot, then what? Same old, same old?

How long can they wait before they make a meaningful change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad