Post-Game Talk: Jets forgot how to hockey tonight, lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
That was embarrassing and frustrating to watch.

We had 2 days off, so we can't claim fatigue.

Clearly, we underestimated our opponent.
Could you imagine paying $100 to be there!:eek2:

1 out of 5

Schwarzeneggers

1670086039730.gif
WE SUCKED LAST NIGHT

Reactions: Guardian17

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Last night it feels like I saw a lot of bad habits creeping back into their game. And coaching played a part.
An over-reliance on Scheifele, Wheeler and Connor.
A refusal to change up a power-play that is just not working.
Speed taken out of the lineup for veteran presence. (Gagne for AJF).
Forechecking aggressiveness just wasn’t there and no adjustments were made.
Very little movement or creativity on the power play.
It was like watching the game from last year and hopefully was a great reminder to players and coaching staff that we don’t win games that way.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I'm bemused by many of the comments in here. Some of them are completely over the top. It's like people forget that the Blue Jackets are a professional hockey team made up of NHL-level players.

I've seen less drama from some of my friends when they got dumped out of a long-term relationship.

It's just one game, guys. Take a deep breath, relax and look forward to the next game.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Roslovic looked much better than he looked when playing for the Jets. Powerplay time, penalty killing time and he showed some decent effort.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
No, certainly not good enough.

It won't make anyone feel better, but Comrie this year is running .887.
I'd guess that Comrie would have a better sv% here than playing on Buffalo. I think he's a better goalie than Dave.
Also, the Sabres have given up 32 more goals in 2 more games than the Jets have.

Reactions: Stumbledore

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We need to move on from big sieve Dave
They threw him under the bus -
I doubt Helle would have saved them last night - he's been blown out too when the Jets don't show up.

The fact that the team, knowing the back up is in net, would bring that kind of defensive effort, is hard to understand. All I can think of is that they thought they were going to walk all over the poor BJ's - and it was going to be easy. There's really no excuse - they found out the hard way that they are not good enough to coast through any team in this league - their recent success is based on hard work and consistency in the way they need to play, as much as it is in skill - same goes for most teams.

I hope they learned something from that mess - :nod:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
They threw him under the bus -
I doubt Helle would have saved them last night - he's been blown out too when the Jets don't show up.

The fact that the team, knowing the back up is in net, would bring that kind of defensive effort, is hard to understand. All I can think of is that they thought they were going to walk all over the poor BJ's - and it was going to be easy. There's really no excuse - they found out the hard way that they are not good enough to coast through any team in this league - their recent success is based on hard work and consistency in the way they need to play, as much as it is in skill - same goes for most teams.

I hope they learned something from that mess - :nod:

Yeh one went off of PLD and two were right across the front of the net to someone wide open back door. Team has to do better than that regardless of who is in net.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
At what point does attendance start to become concerning? 2nd lowest attendance of the year on a Friday night game, 13240 which is only 30 more than the lowest of the year which was a Saturday afternoon game against Chicago.

The team looks much better this year and there is reason for hope yet the people are not coming back.

Maybe Thompson should talk to his billionaire friends at their next yacht gala and ask them to stop price gouging Canadians on essentials or pay their employees more, and then maybe Winnipeggers will have more disposable income and free time to enjoy some luxuries like attending a live hockey game.

Also, having Helle in net doesn't change the fact that our forwards couldn't solve Korpisalo and a mediocre team's defence.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Last night it feels like I saw a lot of bad habits creeping back into their game. And coaching played a part.
An over-reliance on Scheifele, Wheeler and Connor.
A refusal to change up a power-play that is just not working.
Speed taken out of the lineup for veteran presence. (Gagne for AJF).
Forechecking aggressiveness just wasn’t there and no adjustments were made.
Very little movement or creativity on the power play.
It was like watching the game from last year and hopefully was a great reminder to players and coaching staff that we don’t win games that way.
So coaching a C then :sarcasm:

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
Someone wrote that Laine has now scored against each team in the league. He has not.

When he scored an own goal against the Jets in 2016 he did not celebrate. He lifted his stick up in frustration. The one who celebrated, accidentally, was a Japanese player at a WHC some years ago.

Just came here to correct the wrong memories.

Damn, I wish Laine had stayed with the Jets. The relationship is incredibly sour these days, both ways. It is not hate, but it is certainly not love either. Someday somebody better come clean with it all. In the meantime, I hope both Laine and the Jets get a Cup win.

Reactions: HHel and Eyeseeing

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
The pandemic changed a lot of things. I'm not surprised at the results. First years eveyone wanted a Jets ticket. Then it becomes something you can save your money, watch on TV...The live experience isn't the thrill it was.
Christmas time people have to save some money if they want to enjoy Christmas with their families. Walkups aren't an easy sell this time of year. If the Jets make the playoffs, that's where True North makes their money, makes up for the soft losses in attendance, especially if you win a round.

If attendance stays soft though I wonder if payroll is affected. Most teams are spending to the Cap now, but there's a few down there that have lost money on the regular, and the Jets might get closer to them than the top dogs.
The year they went to the conference finals they had a license to print money both inside and outside of the arena.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
I see this kind of talk is happening again. Always a favourite discussion of mine.

Yay 🙄

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This kind of analysis is at the level we used to see about Hellebuyck when he had a bad game. Hard to take your points seriously with the verbiage you use. It's just personal at this point.

He wasn't good, nobody was good. Constantly singling out PLD is doing you a disservice given your level of good analysis of this team in the past. The team is better with Dubois right now than it is without him.

I don't post here to be a "good" guy or to collect "likes". It's not personal. Just some here are reluctant to call out PLD (55 and 26 were getting called out last season by many posters here, and the criticism was 10x worse and more personal than anything I have said about 80). Ofcourse team is better with him than without as the alternative is Adam Lowry as 2C, that is not in question, what is in question is if his contributions at even strength are at par with what should be expected of a player in his role, his pedigree and his caphit.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
At what point does attendance start to become concerning? 2nd lowest attendance of the year on a Friday night game, 13240 which is only 30 more than the lowest of the year which was a Saturday afternoon game against Chicago.

The team looks much better this year and there is reason for hope yet the people are not coming back.
This a tough situation as they are bleeding season ticket holders. Last night they were advertising $49 Tuesdays where you get a ticket and a beer for $49. As a ST holder that is a bit hard to take as you know for those same games you are paying far more and paying for that beer on top of that. Naturally your first thought is why should I dig deep for season tickets when I can pick and choose games when I want for far less money. As more and more people do that there will be less and less people in the building for any given game.

Reactions: GNP and voyageur

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
STH should get 1-2 free beverages per game. I know that I’m more willing to pay exorbitant amounts for beer once I’m already a beer or two along.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
This a tough situation as they are bleeding season ticket holders. Last night they were advertising $49 Tuesdays where you get a ticket and a beer for $49. As a ST holder that is a bit hard to take as you know for those same games you are paying far more and paying for that beer on top of that. Naturally your first thought is why should I dig deep for season tickets when I can pick and choose games when I want for far less money. As more and more people do that there will be less and less people in the building for any given game.
This will become an issue as our attendance continues to suffer. We should be selling out the building or it won't be long before we lose the Jets again.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I didn't think it was that awful of a game to be honest. Korpisalo made some huge saves and it's hard to blame Rittich for any of the goals. It wasn't a masterpiece by any means but on any other day it's not a 4-1 loss either.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't post here to be a "good" guy or to collect "likes". It's not personal. Just some here are reluctant to call out PLD (55 and 26 were getting called out last season by many posters here, and the criticism was 10x worse and more personal than anything I have said about 80). Ofcourse team is better with him than without as the alternative is Adam Lowry as 2C, that is not in question, what is in question is if his contributions at even strength are at par with what should be expected of a player in his role, his pedigree and his caphit.

I don't think you're posting for likes or "good guy points" but I feel your commentary on PLD has moved from objective to subjective because of your opinion of him from the summer.

Scheifele and Wheeler deserved their criticism last year. Scheifele was visibly giving no effort outside of the o-zone, Wheeler was playing way too much for the impact he was having on the ice.

I don't think you've been getting personal about PLD, I think you took his trade saga from the summer personally and it's clouding your judgment of him. He plays differently than Scheifele or Wheeler do, it doesn't look as pretty but he's still quite an effective player.

I don't have an issue with his play this season for the most part, and the things I do see that I don't like a ton aren't to the level of having to say things like "Wonder what the PLD defenders will say tonight" or saying he's playing disinterested like in Cale Breton and one shift in Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad