Prospect Info: Jets draft RW Dmitri Rashevsky - 5th Round, 146th overall

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
What had me excited about this pick was the extended scouting report video that showed his great puck control in traffic and under pressure (not just a goals and assist highlight real, really showed his zone exit / entry and puck control / skating abilities). He would make quick changes of direction while maintaining puck control, not just laterally but sometimes forward to backward on a dime.

His second goal looks like anyone could score it but I like his IQ in succeeding to evade coverage. Look at the 12 second mark with the reverse angle view, he skates away from coverage and even disappears from the frame as he first skates towards the boards at the top of the face-off circle.

I had to watch it about four or five times because it certainly did look like he purposely lost himself from all the defenders. However, after looking more closely it seems like he thought the shot might rim around the boards so he headed towards the boards to stop it. When that didn’t happen then he quietly moved to the side of the goal. All the defenders looked around and probably said “holy sh** where did that guy come from?” So while I’d like to give him credit for being incredibly smart and sneaky on that play, I think he was just trying to stop the puck from rimming around the boards after the shot. All that being said this kid is going to be a star.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
By the time he makes his way to Winnipeg he should be ready to step right in and contribute. I know the KHL isn’t really a developmental league, but this kid has both the smarts and skills to make it and I’m sure the Jets are watching his progress closely and will keep in touch with advice on areas they want to see improvements.

I'm a little skeptical about the KHL. How is his play without the puck? So far, he has an unsustainable sh% and not all that many assists. He has great hands, great finish, but what else can he do? Is the KHL a place to learn anything else?

I have high hopes for this kid, but I wish he would play with the Moose next year, even this year would have been nice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm a little skeptical about the KHL. How is his play without the puck? So far, he has an unsustainable sh% and not all that many assists. He has great hands, great finish, but what else can he do? Is the KHL a place to learn anything else?

I have high hopes for this kid, but I wish he would play with the Moose next year, even this year would have been nice.
The KHL is the hardest league to produce in, outside the NHL. So his production is very encouraging. For the NHL, I think he projects as a potential offensive contributor in the middle 6.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The KHL is the hardest league to produce in, outside the NHL. So his production is very encouraging. For the NHL, I think he projects as a potential offensive contributor in the middle 6.

Yes. I'm not really worried about him being able to score, despite the unreal sh% (I forget the number, but it is very high). I'm concerned that he is not being developed into a well rounded player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes. I'm not really worried about him being able to score, despite the unreal sh% (I forget the number, but it is very high). I'm concerned that he is not being developed into a well rounded player.
Why worry about that? He's on a strong team in the KHL and there are plenty of players coming from the KHL that have a well-rounded game. Rashevsky is a high-effort player, so I don't really see the reason for anxiety.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why worry about that? He's on a strong team in the KHL and there are plenty of players coming from the KHL that have a well-rounded game. Rashevsky is a high-effort player, so I don't really see the reason for anxiety.

Maybe not. I just don't like the KHL as a development league.

Rash seems to be scoring by combining smarts and great hands. That should translate. But who are these well rounded players coming from the KHL?

Reactions: JetsFan815

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
Kaprizov and Panarin developed well in the KHL.

Rash seems to be scoring by combining smarts and great hands. That should translate. But who are these well rounded players coming from the KHL?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

For Rashevsky, the KHL appears empirically to be the perfect development league, so I wouldn't get caught up in theoretical notions of which is better. For a young Russian who is a late bloomer, there are major risk to displacing him to another culture and system prematurely; many others have faltered under similar circumstances.

I have no issue letting him continue to flourish for another season and a half, hoping that he comes here a more mature player and person. Not everyone is ready to transition at the same time--Kaprizov is the obvious most recent example of this, but the Jets have their own examples, starting with Selanne, who didn't come to NA until he was 22. Let's hope Rashevsky is Exhibit B.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For Rashevsky, the KHL appears empirically to be the perfect development league, so I wouldn't get caught up in theoretical notions of which is better. For a young Russian who is a late bloomer, there are major risk to displacing him to another culture and system prematurely; many others have faltered under similar circumstances.

I have no issue letting him continue to flourish for another season and a half, hoping that he comes here a more mature player and person. Not everyone is ready to transition at the same time--Kaprizov is the obvious most recent example of this, but the Jets have their own examples, starting with Selanne, who didn't come to NA until he was 22. Let's hope Rashevsky is Exhibit B.

I'm afraid he will just solidify bad habits. He will be able to score, but nothing else.

Selanne didn't stay in Finland to develop. He stayed to put his military service obligations behind him.

Selanne was never a typical player who should be used as an example. He wasn't a late bloomer either. The year he was drafted, he played in the U18's - 6 games, 7 G, 9 A, 16 pts. And he never played in the KHL.

Hope I'm wrong about Rashevsky and the K. We'll see in 2-3 years.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

You've convinced me -- and TBH I'm just enjoying watching this kid light it up, wherever he is. May as well continue to develop there a while longer and make the move once there's a spot for him and/or he's too good to be "remoulded" into a bottom six checker/plugger role. See example: early-2021 Cole Perfetti, learning how to work the boards at the NHL level.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You've convinced me -- and TBH I'm just enjoying watching this kid light it up, wherever he is. May as well continue to develop there a while longer and make the move once there's a spot for him and/or he's too good to be "remoulded" into a bottom six checker/plugger role. See example: early-2021 Cole Perfetti, learning how to work the boards at the NHL level.

:laugh: Maybe the KHL is the best place for him to develop.

Reactions: Sweech and JetsUK

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Rashevksy with the OT winner. Not as sexy a goal as his usual but a goal nonetheless.

Reactions: hn777

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
So excited for this guy!
Now the big question is... IF somehow Rashevsky could come over next year and Perfetti is more than ready for a top 6 role, will Maurice allow THREE scoring lines when given the opportunity? Is there any chance that he would change the line 1, line 2, line Lowry, line scrubs, system that he loves so much?

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So excited for this guy!
Now the big question is... IF somehow Rashevsky could come over next year and Perfetti is more than ready for a top 6 role, will Maurice allow THREE scoring lines when given the opportunity? Is there any chance that he would change the line 1, line 2, line Lowry, line scrubs, system that he loves so much?

None.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad