Prospect Info: Jets draft RW Dmitri Rashevsky - 5th Round, 146th overall

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Sorry, I think you missed my point. If you're an established 1st liner in the KHL, you actually make decent money. The odds of leaving that situation for an AHL deal is slim. What I meant to say is that now it'll take persuasion for the Jets to get him to NA. The old 'spend a few years for the Moose' will be a tough sell.
Probably, but i also question your knowledge of the KHL. Do you know what the KHL salary cap is?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Agree he is developing exactly where he should...but you have set a very high bar for success.
He is a very late bloomer on an excellent trajectory, so no telling where he will level off, but this comparison (from the main board thread) is encouraging.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/attachments/upload_2021-9-29_14-1-35-png.467077/
His trajectory is a late bloomer, which is to say he sucked until this point. Look, he's half the KHL player Shipichov is and how did that work out? A thread of overly excited Jet fans who just found out this guy existed a couple months ago doesnt matter to me. He can stay in Russia for another couple of years and im ok with that.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
His trajectory is a late bloomer, which is to say he sucked until this point. Look, he's half the KHL player Shipichov is and how did that work out? A thread of overly excited Jet fans who just found out this guy existed a couple months ago doesnt matter to me. He can stay in Russia for another couple of years and im ok with that.
Hey don’t poop on my party

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Either way he doesn't have the talent of Kaprizov or Panarin.

Look, he's half the KHL player Shipichov is and how did that work out? A thread of overly excited Jet fans who just found out this guy existed a couple months ago doesnt matter to me.

Rashevsky is a late bloomer and is unlikely to have the NHL impact of Kaprizov or Panarin. But he's been legitimately good in the KHL this year, at the age of 21.

Age 21+ season in the KHL
Rashevsky (9 Oct 2000), 2021-22: 9 goals + 5 assists = 14 points (15 games)
Kaprizov (26 Apr 1997), 2018-19: 30 goals + 21 assists = 51 points (57 games)
Panarin (30 Oct 1991), 2012-13: 11 goals + 8 assists = 19 points (43 games)
Shipachyov (12 Mar 1987), 2008-09: 4 goals + 4 assists = 8 points (29 games)

Rashevsky's goals per game (0.6) and points per game (0.93) are slightly higher than Kaprizov (0.53 GPG, 0.89 PPG) -- though on a much smaller sample size so far -- and much higher than Panarin or Shipachyov.

From the chart @surixon posted above, only Tarasenko (14 + 18 = 32 points, in 31 games) has put up more points per game than Rashevsky in a KHL season before the age of 22, and even then Rashevsky's goal-scoring pace is better.

It's still early, but Jets fans have every right to be excited by Rashevsky's production this year, especially when so many of his points have come on highlight reel plays.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
At the same age Kaprizov was scoring at a lower rate. At one year older Kaprizov was scoring at a lower rate. The year after that Kaprizov was scoring at a similar rate. I understand wanting to pump the brakes a bit, but there is actual reason to be excited here.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Makes wonder how much guess work would be taken out of the draft process if the age was raised to 20.

Make the 18 year old draft 2 or 3 rounds and send everyone else back to junior, then have a 3 or 4 round 20 year old draft each year

I know it would never happen but you'd get a much better read on the late bloomers

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Rashevsky is a late bloomer and is unlikely to have the NHL impact of Kaprizov or Panarin. But he's been legitimately good in the KHL this year, at the age of 21.

Age 21+ season in the KHL
Rashevsky (9 Oct 2000), 2021-22: 9 goals + 5 assists = 14 points (15 games)
Kaprizov (26 Apr 1997), 2018-19: 30 goals + 21 assists = 51 points (57 games)
Panarin (30 Oct 1991), 2012-13: 11 goals + 8 assists = 19 points (43 games)
Shipachyov (12 Mar 1987), 2008-09: 4 goals + 4 assists = 8 points (29 games)

Rashevsky's goals per game (0.6) and points per game (0.93) are slightly higher than Kaprizov (0.53 GPG, 0.89 PPG) -- though on a much smaller sample size so far -- and much higher than Panarin or Shipachyov.

From the chart @surixon posted above, only Tarasenko (14 + 18 = 32 points, in 31 games) has put up more points per game than Rashevsky in a KHL season before the age of 22, and even then Rashevsky's goal-scoring pace is better.

It's still early, but Jets fans have every right to be excited by Rashevsky's production this year, especially when so many of his points have come on highlight reel plays.

I think Rash's scoring is being aided by playing on a dominant team. Shipachyov is scoring at a 2 ppg pace, way higher than he has ever done before. And he is doing it at age 34.

Of course Rash is part of that dominance so I am not discounting his scoring by too much.

I would be happier if he had not extended for another year in the KHL. The K is not a development league.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I think Rash's scoring is being aided by playing on a dominant team. Shipachyov is scoring at a 2 ppg pace, way higher than he has ever done before. And he is doing it at age 34.

Of course Rash is part of that dominance so I am not discounting his scoring by too much.

I would be happier if he had not extended for another year in the KHL. The K is not a development league.
He doesn't play with Ship. He plays with Eric O'Dell and Klinkhammer. He plays about 14 minutes a game on top of that.

Also, to the guy who said he sucked before, he certainly did not. He put up good numbers everywhere he's played.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
How the organization treats players seems to have been a very big plus this off season for getting guys like Schmidt to sign with the Jets. Are you wanting an organization that rushes prospects like Atlanta did or an organization that development their prospects until they are ready to take on roles? Mature organizations aren't worried about having their prospects fighting for their roles instead of being fearful they have to gift them to have players want to stay.
If anything, this organization has shown to be an excellent path for young players to develop into regular NHL players; which it has been doing at a higher rate than most.

There is a reason Tanev chose to sign with the Jets, when he had the opportunity to sign with any team. He said he knew that our development system would get him to where he needed to be.

Part of that system is not rushing players. Gus is ready to be an NHL player at this point but he is not ready to be a full time center for an 82 game season.

A full season manning the middle, learning the position, getting top minutes will have him ready for that role next season when he replaces Nash.

We can have him up for injuries and for our playoff run, where it wouldn’t shock me to see him in our lineup.
I’m not trying to be overly critical of the team because I think the team is good at developing players for sure.

All I’m saying is I can totally see Rashevsky’s point of view on how he’d like to handle his career and livelihood and I can’t blame him for making that choice.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He doesn't play with Ship. He plays with Eric O'Dell and Klinkhammer. He plays about 14 minutes a game on top of that.

Also, to the guy who said he sucked before, he certainly did not. He put up good numbers everywhere he's played.

I didn't say he played with Ship. They are a dominant, high scoring team. A rising tide floats all boats.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I’m not trying to be overly critical of the team because I think the team is good at developing players for sure.

All I’m saying is I can totally see Rashevsky’s point of view on how he’d like to handle his career and livelihood and I can’t blame him for making that choice.
He is definitely entitled to go the path he chooses only question at the end of the day is whether it achieves the results he wants.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Him signing a 1 year contract is not a big deal to me as long as they play him good minutes. Would have preferred him coming over and playing a season in the AHL to speed up his NHL timeline as I don't have the fondest opinions of the KHL after how Burmi looked after playing there.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg

...and another

What had me excited about this pick was the extended scouting report video that showed his great puck control in traffic and under pressure (not just a goals and assist highlight real, really showed his zone exit / entry and puck control / skating abilities). He would make quick changes of direction while maintaining puck control, not just laterally but sometimes forward to backward on a dime.

His second goal looks like anyone could score it but I like his IQ in succeeding to evade coverage. Look at the 12 second mark with the reverse angle view, he skates away from coverage and even disappears from the frame as he first skates towards the boards at the top of the face-off circle.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Signing to play in the KHL next season means Rashevsky will be at least 22 when/if he signs here - which means his ELC will only be a 2-year deal.

Reactions: Sweech

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Signing to play in the KHL next season means Rashevsky will be at least 22 when/if he signs here - which means his ELC will only be a 2-year deal.
I don’t blame him. Nothing wrong with using the leverage you have.

Reactions: Aggie204

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
By the time he makes his way to Winnipeg he should be ready to step right in and contribute. I know the KHL isn’t really a developmental league, but this kid has both the smarts and skills to make it and I’m sure the Jets are watching his progress closely and will keep in touch with advice on areas they want to see improvements.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
What had me excited about this pick was the extended scouting report video that showed his great puck control in traffic and under pressure (not just a goals and assist highlight real, really showed his zone exit / entry and puck control / skating abilities). He would make quick changes of direction while maintaining puck control, not just laterally but sometimes forward to backward on a dime.

His second goal looks like anyone could score it but I like his IQ in succeeding to evade coverage. Look at the 12 second mark with the reverse angle view, he skates away from coverage and even disappears from the frame as he first skates towards the boards at the top of the face-off circle.

You and me both! That video was extremely well done and opened my eyes to this guy. He was my favourite pick of this years draft after I saw all the little things he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad