Post-Game Talk: Jets Clown Pounding part 2, Jets win 5-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Gotta wonder how other coaches would have done compared to Bones? Jets seemed to luck out at the end. Perfect match that was not intentional.
I mean, let's take a quick peek at some of that coaching carousel:

>Boston - Got Montgomery (who Murat heavily implied was the other candidate for the Jets job), who has Boston off to a 19-3-0 record and haven't lost at home.
>Vegas - Got Cassidy, who has dramatically improved the team's control of quality shots for and against, and as a result has stabilized a goaltending position that was largely seen as a question mark with Lehner's injury and recovery.
>Dallas - Got DeBoer, who has gotten the team's offence running a bit better without having to worry about defence (and goaltending), with Jason Robertson becoming an absolute superstar.
>Winnipeg - Got Bowness, who has this team running on excellent vibes with it's star players playing like stars (but without him on the early two road trips, weren't playing as great under just Arniel).
>Florida - Got Maurice, who has the Panthers with some awesome underlying metrics but a putrid shooting and save percentage.
>New Jersey - Got Brunette (Associate Coach, though), with the Devils' offence taking off now that they finally have some stable goaltending.

Is it the coaches, or is it mostly just getting a new voice in the room when it was needed? Granted, you have other new coaches like Tortorella in PHI, Quinn in SJS, Lalonde in DET, Richardson in CHI, and Lambert in NYI that are all somewhat middling/questionable in their own ways, but for the teams that are actively trying to compete, it's seemed like just getting a different voice and mindset is paying dividends at the moment.

And then you realize the Jets had Maurice as the second-longest tenured HC before his 'resignation' and had one of the Assistants take over as Interim (Lowry, but I think it would've been Kompon had his wife were not battling cancer at the time). What could've been if Chevy got what he wanted after the 2019 series loss to STL...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Sure is nice to wreck a team so badly that one of their fans decided to come here to make excuses :laugh:

Imagine winning the Stanley cup the previous season and feeling the need to go on another team's board after a random regular season Tuesday game in November to attack and make excuses for your Stanley Cup defending team. Imagine the amount of sadness and insecurity that must be part of the process of making that decision.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
$3.9 million as per capfriendly
Wow !! that's very heavy money for a Coach that's just a shade over or under a .500 % winning average. Got to hand it to the guy, though, he talks himself into some great paying jobs, but his record speaks for itself. Great salesman that Maurice is, and gives great lip service. Thanks for looking that up surixon.

I'll be surprised if he's still the Coach there, 2 years hence.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Perfetti. He might end up being better than Ehlers. Wow. He has great hands and vision.
I don't see the issues other posters do with Perfetti's skating, as he more than can keep up with the play, and will get faster and stronger as he matures. He'll never be a speedster like Ehlers, but he's a totally different kind of player, and is more of a smooth playmaker, that see's all areas of the ice, and sets up our scorers. As you say , he has great vision, and will be a huge star for the Jets. Can score as well. Just another winning pick by Jets scouting.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Wonder what her employer thinks of her actions tonight, if she is has one.

Do you question the employment status of everyone who makes an ass of themselves who has tickets to the lower bowl and wears a jersey with a name plate?

(If it's employment status based on team choice, I get it. I check photos of Jets/Leafs games to see if anyone I hire is wearing a Toronto jersey.)

Reactions: WolfHouse

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I mean, let's take a quick peek at some of that coaching carousel:

>Boston - Got Montgomery (who Murat heavily implied was the other candidate for the Jets job), who has Boston off to a 19-3-0 record and haven't lost at home.
>Vegas - Got Cassidy, who has dramatically improved the team's control of quality shots for and against, and as a result has stabilized a goaltending position that was largely seen as a question mark with Lehner's injury and recovery.
>Dallas - Got DeBoer, who has gotten the team's offence running a bit better without having to worry about defence (and goaltending), with Jason Robertson becoming an absolute superstar.
>Winnipeg - Got Bowness, who has this team running on excellent vibes with it's star players playing like stars (but without him on the early two road trips, weren't playing as great under just Arniel).
>Florida - Got Maurice, who has the Panthers with some awesome underlying metrics but a putrid shooting and save percentage.
>New Jersey - Got Brunette (Associate Coach, though), with the Devils' offence taking off now that they finally have some stable goaltending.

Is it the coaches, or is it mostly just getting a new voice in the room when it was needed? Granted, you have other new coaches like Tortorella in PHI, Quinn in SJS, Lalonde in DET, Richardson in CHI, and Lambert in NYI that are all somewhat middling/questionable in their own ways, but for the teams that are actively trying to compete, it's seemed like just getting a different voice and mindset is paying dividends at the moment.

And then you realize the Jets had Maurice as the second-longest tenured HC before his 'resignation' and had one of the Assistants take over as Interim (Lowry, but I think it would've been Kompon had his wife were not battling cancer at the time). What could've been if Chevy got what he wanted after the 2019 series loss to STL...

Are you implying that Chevy actually wanted to change coaches all the way back then? I figured he wanted to back after 2021 and his spat with Moe in the media.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't see the issues other posters do with Perfetti's skating, as he more than can keep up with the play, and will get faster and stronger as he matures. He'll never be a speedster like Ehlers, but he's a totally different kind of player, and is more of a smooth playmaker, that see's all areas of the ice, and sets up our scorers. As you say , he has great vision, and will be a huge star for the Jets. Can score as well. Just another winning pick by Jets scouting.
I think the next challenge for Cole will be when teams start understanding what a threat he is and start isolating him strategically.

I think that's where his skating might become an issue. I fully expect his offseason training will focus on skating mechanics and I expect him to get faster.

He will probably never become a speedster but when you see how much improved Gustafssons skating is, that type of improvement could be transformational coupled with his elite playmaking skill.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Are you implying that Chevy actually wanted to change coaches all the way back then? I figured he wanted to back after 2021 and his spat with Moe in the media.

I remember hearing that Cheveldayoff wanted to fire Maurice in 2019 before the contract extension was even a thing, but Chipman nixxed that idea. The two of them might have even worked on a contract extension outside of Cheveldayoff's sphere, considering that Chipman was the one to announce the latest one.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I remember hearing that Cheveldayoff wanted to fire Maurice in 2019 before the contract extension was even a thing, but Chipman nixxed that idea. The two of them might have even worked on a contract extension outside of Cheveldayoff's sphere, considering that Chipman was the one to announce the latest one.

Yeah I remember that being odd. Hope Mark learned to just let his GM do his job.

I think the next challenge for Cole will be when teams start understanding what a threat he is and start isolating him strategically.

I think that's where his skating might become an issue. I fully expect his offseason training will focus on skating mechanics and I expect him to get faster.

He will probably never become a speedster but when you see how much improved Gustafssons skating is, that type of improvement could be transformational coupled with his elite playmaking skill.

He has a skating coach and has been working with that person the last few offseasons. I expect continued improvement there. Hisnskating is already much better then it was a couple of years ago.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB

Do you question the employment status of everyone who makes an ass of themselves who has tickets to the lower bowl and wears a jersey with a name plate?

(If it's employment status based on team choice, I get it. I check photos of Jets/Leafs games to see if anyone I hire is wearing a Toronto jersey.)

There's making an ass of yourself and there's assaulting someone causing injury in front of thousands and getting arrested

Reactions: Stumbledore

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Dang - I didn't even know there was a Jets game (too wrapped up in the USA beating Iran to advance to the R16) but it seemed like I missed a great one. Congrats to Wheeler on his hat trick.
Hopefully, the Jets can parlay early season success into a FANTASTIC post season!!!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Dang - I didn't even know there was a Jets game (too wrapped up in the USA beating Iran to advance to the R16) but it seemed like I missed a great one. Congrats to Wheeler on his hat trick.
Hopefully, the Jets can parlay early season success into a FANTASTIC post season!!!
Congrats to Team USA. Canada was so close to being there I feel - I have a good feeling about 2026

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Problem is that some of these idiots already come to the game 3 sheets to the wind and go over the edge quite easily, getting tanked at a game is a helluva expensive evening

We maybe need to not let those ones in in the first place if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad