Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - TB Maulers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
My guess if everyone gets healthy is we keep up 8 defenseman and risk sending a player like Kuhlman down. Better alternatives will be easily available at the TD.
If we keep 8 up we'll still need to expose another forward or send Barron down even if we waive kuhlman

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Rick Bowness seems like such a likeable person. I could see players wanting to go through the wall for this guy.

He really reminds me of my dad, lost to cancer too soon a few years back -- also a very fine player and coach who just missed the bigs. Rick seems like a guy you want to win for, because he wants the best for you and the team, not for himself, and his warmth seems absolutely genuine and front-facing -- even to the gentle swinging motion of his walk that reminds me of how he might once have rocked the room at the Senior Soc Hop.

Good dude. Good, at times great team.

And don't get me started on PLD...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets have shed some of their bad tendencies from previous years, like loosing to bad teams ans 2nd period naps.
Slow starts have kind of been a thing. But with Hellebuyck to weather the storm, they seem to get their legs under them and get stronger as the game goes on.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The last waiver pickup should be the first one down. Kuhlman would be my pick for hitting the waiver wire. He hasn't done enough with his time to justify him being in the lineup over AJF when Maenalanen and Appleton come back.

I'm not familiar with waiver rules, is there a rule that you have to keep a player for X number of days after he's claimed?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If we keep 8 up we'll still need to expose another forward or send Barron down even if we waive kuhlman
So lets go with the almost mythical premise of a team being completely healthy in the back half of an NHL season. My guess is Flowby would be next in line. I just don't see Samberg being sent down. He is being given this season (final year of his ELC) to establish himself as a NHL player. The Jets did the same thing with Stanley and will very likely do it next season with Heinola if injuries don't push up that time table.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and Jet

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
What a blast at the rink last night!

It was what I Call a superb team win. Ehlers had his chances for game one. Wheezer looked old.

JOMO YOU'RE MY HERO:clap:

Dobey was DOOO RIFFIC

5 out of 5 Schwarzeneggers

View attachment 631675View attachment 631675View attachment 631675View attachment 631675View attachment 631675

Whereas I give it 5 out of 5 Danny DeVitos

TestyImmaculateDanishswedishfarmdog-max-1mb.gif

:laugh:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I believe we will add a 4th line center who has the capability to move up if needed.
It may be more economical to grab a winger, likely more available. C’s are always in high demand at the TDL.

Question will be whether we add two medium players or one big one (I don’t mean that big).
If the club hoped to extend all of PLD, Scheif & Helle then you can’t bring in anyone with term. If we bring in someone with term to me it signals an acknowledgement that we aren’t signing one of the big 3 (or they have other plans to clear space from the existing roster).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm as susceptible to noticing the bad more than the good as much as anyone and a few times Pionk was just baffling me. He seemed to be out there for a lot of Tampa's golden opportunities...

Qualifier: I have maybe seen half our games at most.

It’s one of those seasons when most things are breaking our way which is awesome but Neil is really struggling. He seems so frenetic in our zone. I really liked his game the season of the all Canadian division but he wasn’t good last season and he’s worse this season IMO. Hopefully he can work his way through it.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I would agree with this assessment. I think the 1 player who has earned himself a permanent position is Stenlund. Big center, who plays big and is good at faceoffs. He will be on our 4th line even when fully healthy.
Based on usage I would say that Stenlund slots in right behind the top 6 and Lowry. He’s more trusted than a young player like Perfetti. Not to play in the top 6 but in all other situations.

I really don’t know what’s out there but hope we are shrewd with our adds. We don’t need the flashiest player. We need guys that will fit the roles and systems and have an ability to move up the lineup. Easier said than done. When the trade board starts being discussed I wouldn’t focus on the names at the top of the list.

If we were to acquire a middle 6 C to create a 3rd scoring line then you also need to add another middle/top 6 winger to make that work. That would be a very expensive route to go asset wise.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Based on usage I would say that Stenlund slots in right behind the top 6 and Lowry. He’s more trusted than a young player like Perfetti. Not to play in the top 6 but in all other situations.

I really don’t know what’s out there but hope we are shrewd with our adds. We don’t need the flashiest player. We need guys that will fit the roles and systems and have an ability to move up the lineup. Easier said than done. When the trade board starts being discussed I wouldn’t focus on the names at the top of the list.

If we were to acquire a middle 6 C to create a 3rd scoring line then you also need to add another middle/top 6 winger to make that work. That would be a very expensive route to go asset wise.
Agreed that Stenlund is likely here to stay and when we are healthy likely slots in as our 4th line center. Who we add, if anyone at the TD is an interesting thing to speculate about. If a higher end center is brought in we don't necessarily need another winger IMO as you could run a bit of a 2 headed monster scenario like Bones did with PLD and Scheifele together with Connor. He couldn't stick with it at the time, because all our injuries didn't allow for enough talent elsewhere.

Reactions: sipowicz

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Agreed that Stenlund is likely here to stay and when we are healthy likely slots in as our 4th line center. Who we add, if anyone at the TD is an interesting thing to speculate about. If a higher end center is brought in we don't necessarily need another winger IMO as you could run a bit of a 2 headed monster scenario like Bones did with PLD and Scheifele together with Connor. He couldn't stick with it at the time, because all our injuries didn't allow for enough talent elsewhere.
That’s a good point I was only looking at the 3-line scenario. Some have suggested bringing in a top 6 to replace Perfetti (because of his inexperience and lack of playoff testing). The problem with that is Cole doesn’t fit with Lowry for a shutdown line and is unlikely to produce well from a 4th line. If we added two top 6’ish players (one being a C) then you could run 3 scoring lines (using an Appleton type as the 9th player). Lowry, Stenlund and whichever left of Apples/Saku could be the 4th line (that probably gets more ice time than the “3rd line”.

Scheif and Dubois together means we don’t have a 2C (barring an acquisition). I don’t think we can go back to the days of Wheeler filling in there. In this scenario we’d have to go big game hunting for a C at the TDL and that would be costly (a 1st plus plus).

I’m saying the cost factor is major between a serviceable top 6 player and a true 2C. Maybe more teams tanking for Bedard means that a few extra guys will be available to make the whole thing more affordable.

Reactions: Inanna

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So lets go with the almost mythical premise of a team being completely healthy in the back half of an NHL season. My guess is Flowby would be next in line. I just don't see Samberg being sent down. He is being given this season (final year of his ELC) to establish himself as a NHL player. The Jets did the same thing with Stanley and will very likely do it next season with Heinola if injuries don't push up that time table.
Idk about that. However, you're right. I don't think we will be healthy enough before roster expansion to worry about it too much

Two guys who can get somewhere quickly, but aren’t quite sure what to do when they get there.
Ajf is a major disruptor though and he's a pk asset.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Big Swede > slow Gus

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Idk about that. However, you're right. I don't think we will be healthy enough before roster expansion to worry about it too much

Ajf is a major disruptor though and he's a pk asset.

He is def a disruptor in a good way -- shakes a ton of pucks loose in both key zones and while he's a volume shooter rather than sniper, he has a knack for getting to pucks first and then distributing safely, so the team plays less defence with him chasing down pucks like they're $100 bills fluttering down in a 1929 moneydrop at Portage & Main.

I'm not sure how efficient AJF is, but he's effective.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
one of the big things I'm seeing this season is much less dump and chase. We're making two or three passes out of our zone and actually carrying the puck over their blue line and doing things with it much more often than we have in the past. There's so many times during these games where I'm expecting that dump in (thanks to years of pavlovian training lol) and instead there's a nice quick little pass back to a following player or across to a guy who then carries it in and establishes the O-zone with posession.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really think PLD will sign a mid term deal with the Jets. Something like 5 at 10aav.

I wonder if Wheeler resigns with us to be our grizzly bottom 6 vet guy at like 3mm or something. I think so.

I think Gagner should rotate in and out when we get healthy. I think when he gets tired he can't hang.

If PLD insists on a shorter term, he should accept at least a little less AAV. I think that to get 10 he should sign for 7-8 years. But maybe it doesn't work that way these days.

I have to believe the changes in the team, room, results, possibility to contend, etc. must affect his outlook. Montreal is still early in a rebuild. They won't even make the PO for a few years, much less contend.

Wheeler is having himself quite a season, iron balls and all. He was mostly good in his 1st game back last night. But he still has another year after this one before his contract expires. Another year and a half and he may not want to play anymore, though he clearly still has the competitiveness now. We may not want him back. Age sometimes catches up very suddenly. It is not linear. Too soon to say and too soon to put a number on it. It will depend on next year, not this one. It would be nice if that all comes together and he can be that grizzled vet for another year or two at whatever $$$ is appropriate.

Slow starts have kind of been a thing. But with Hellebuyck to weather the storm, they seem to get their legs under them and get stronger as the game goes on.

Lately, yes. Earlier in the season they were starting fast so I don't think the slow start is entrenched yet. Hope they fix it soon though. Up to the players.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That’s a good point I was only looking at the 3-line scenario. Some have suggested bringing in a top 6 to replace Perfetti (because of his inexperience and lack of playoff testing). The problem with that is Cole doesn’t fit with Lowry for a shutdown line and is unlikely to produce well from a 4th line. If we added two top 6’ish players (one being a C) then you could run 3 scoring lines (using an Appleton type as the 9th player). Lowry, Stenlund and whichever left of Apples/Saku could be the 4th line (that probably gets more ice time than the “3rd line”.

Scheif and Dubois together means we don’t have a 2C (barring an acquisition). I don’t think we can go back to the days of Wheeler filling in there. In this scenario we’d have to go big game hunting for a C at the TDL and that would be costly (a 1st plus plus).

I’m saying the cost factor is major between a serviceable top 6 player and a true 2C. Maybe more teams tanking for Bedard means that a few extra guys will be available to make the whole thing more affordable.
Agreed you can’t run Scheifele and PLD together without another top 6 center. And also agreed that cost factor will play into the decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad