Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - TB Maulers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Based on usage I would say that Stenlund slots in right behind the top 6 and Lowry. He’s more trusted than a young player like Perfetti. Not to play in the top 6 but in all other situations.

I really don’t know what’s out there but hope we are shrewd with our adds. We don’t need the flashiest player. We need guys that will fit the roles and systems and have an ability to move up the lineup. Easier said than done. When the trade board starts being discussed I wouldn’t focus on the names at the top of the list.

If we were to acquire a middle 6 C to create a 3rd scoring line then you also need to add another middle/top 6 winger to make that work. That would be a very expensive route to go asset wise.
OR ypu could run a top nine based on pairs
Perfetti Schief Wheeler
Connor PLD xxx
Ehlers New Centre yyy
Barron Lowry Appleton

You fill xxx and yyy with stenlund, big sack, etc or you put two of Lowry apples and/or Barron in those spots and fill the 4th with srenlund and big sak

Reactions: Dale53130

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If PLD insists on a shorter term, he should accept at least a little less AAV. I think that to get 10 he should sign for 7-8 years. But maybe it doesn't work that way these days.

I have to believe the changes in the team, room, results, possibility to contend, etc. must affect his outlook. Montreal is still early in a rebuild. They won't even make the PO for a few years, much less contend.

Wheeler is having himself quite a season, iron balls and all. He was mostly good in his 1st game back last night. But he still has another year after this one before his contract expires. Another year and a half and he may not want to play anymore, though he clearly still has the competitiveness now. We may not want him back. Age sometimes catches up very suddenly. It is not linear. Too soon to say and too soon to put a number on it. It will depend on next year, not this one. It would be nice if that all comes together and he can be that grizzled vet for another year or two at whatever $$$ is appropriate.

Lately, yes. Earlier in the season they were starting fast so I don't think the slow start is entrenched yet. Hope they fix it soon though. Up to the players.
If Chevy can get PLD for 5 years at $10 M AAV I say take it and run. If we can open up a contention window now it will be closing in 5 years anyways as all of Connor, Ehlers, Scheifele, Morrissey and Helly will be between 31 - 35 y/o. I was mad at PLD last summer with the Montreal rumours, but at this point he is second only to Helly in importance to our chances of winning a cup. Morrissey morphing into a true #1 D-Man is right up there as well.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Whereas I give it 5 out of 5 Danny DeVitos

TestyImmaculateDanishswedishfarmdog-max-1mb.gif

:laugh:
And a .5

1673118354331.gif

Lol and another .5

1673118516031.gif

• Haha
Reactions: GeorgeJETson

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

OR ypu could run a top nine based on pairs
Perfetti Schief Wheeler
Connor PLD xxx
Ehlers New Centre yyy
Barron Lowry Appleton

You fill xxx and yyy with stenlund, big sack, etc or you put two of Lowry apples and/or Barron in those spots and fill the 4th with srenlund and big sak
I don't think the Jets have any intention of adding a center that would push Lowry to the 4th -
I think they are happy with a shut down line as the third - IMO.

If anything, they'll fill a hole if needed based on our health at the deadline (assuming we are contending).
We are lucky to have the cap room to do that - but they won't do it just because it's there - again, IMO.
We also need to consider the cost of adding another center - how will that impact our ability to pay the ones we have when that time comes. I'm assuming we are not discussing rentals here.

OTOH, if our top six is healthy and they want to add a little insurance, they might look at a winger that can be effective in a top 6 role if needed - call it top 6 depth. That winger would step into the 3rd line and be able to move up (effectively) to the top 6 if needed. Should be less expensive over the center option.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
And all because he was mad that he got a penalty for a crosscheck from behind. Idc if you think Ehlers dove, that's not a smart play.

Ps I don't think he dove. Players don't generally dive when they're going to go head first into the end boards.

You know who did dive? Kuch on that play at the end of the game. Embarrassing.

I'm glad people are starting to realize what a vastly superior player PLD is to Laine
Laine in a normal situation would have thrived here.
If PLD doesn’t sign here long term then IMO
TNSE blew an opportunity with a 2 OA pick bottom line.
There will be zero to show for it while both players end up elsewhere for several years likely.

Reactions: buggs

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And all because he was mad that he got a penalty for a crosscheck from behind. Idc if you think Ehlers dove, that's not a smart play.

Ps I don't think he dove. Players don't generally dive when they're going to go head first into the end boards.

You know who did dive? Kuch on that play at the end of the game. Embarrassing.

I'm glad people are starting to realize what a vastly superior player PLD is to Laine

I kind of liked Laine’s personality and shot but the last thing this team needed was another skilled winger who is one dimensional.

Chevy did a good job trading from our organizational strength to fill a huge gaping hole. Now if we can’t extend PLD we need to do well on our next trade too.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There will be zero to show for it while both players end up elsewhere for several years likely.
Then you count the return for PLD. Right now teams would give a shit load of a return for even 1 year of his services, especially a team that is used to UFA players wanting to sign with them like NYR, LV, TB, Colorado, Dallas, Florida, Boston etc. To me it is not even a comparison how much more effective PLD is over Laine. Not even close.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Then you count the return for PLD. Right now teams would give a shit load of a return for even 1 year of his services, especially a team that is used to UFA players wanting to sign with them like NYR, LV, TB, Colorado, Dallas, Florida, Boston etc. To me it is not even a comparison how much more effective PLD is over Laine. Not even close.
I’m not defending that PLD is better, my point being until such time we see what the return brings it was still mishandled

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Whether it was PLD or Laine, both were becoming UFA's at virtually the same point in time, being drafted sequentially after each other in 2016 . In fact we got an extra year out of Dubois as his first contract slid, staying in junior after his draft year whereas Laine made the Jets in his first year.

With the sudden loss of Little I'd say Chevy did rather well trading for one of the league best power forwards & creating the 1A/1B depth at centre that has been the model for every Stanley Cup champion for as long as I can remember.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’m not defending that PLD is better, my point being until such time we see what the return brings it was still mishandled
Don't see it as mishandled, rather Chevy made the heist of the last couple years. A one dimensional winger means little to our success. A big bruising 6.3 220 LBS #1 center who plays a power forward game that drives teams crazy and can score 90+ points gives us a shot to seriously contend.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I kind of liked Laine’s personality and shot but the last thing this team needed was another skilled winger who is one dimensional.

Chevy did a good job trading from our organizational strength to fill a huge gaping hole. Now if we can’t extend PLD we need to do well on our next trade too.
I think that Doobie has really helped the Jets this year either way. He's shown himself to be one of the most sought after player types in the league.

So, either we get to have that on our team, or parlay him into some very nice assets.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Chevy just let Dubois walk for absolutely nothing then i would agree but you would have to see what we got for Dubois before saying they blew the 2nd round pick. Even if Laine was still here i don't know how long that dude is going to play, he is hurt all the time.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
PLD re signing here long term would be optimal for the Jets but in the off season if he again makes it clear he will not re sign here and would prefer to be moved then we will get a boat load for him. A centre that scores and is relentless on the ice plus the fact he just pisses off teams is a commodity that all teams would be in on.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think that Doobie has really helped the Jets this year either way. He's shown himself to be one of the most sought after player types in the league.

So, either we get to have that on our team, or parlay him into some very nice assets.
Agreed we would get a lot in return for PLD for even 1 year of his services. Even if he comes unsigned, there are several teams out there know that they are a desirable market and will be confident they can re-sign him. Saying that he is the type of player that can lead a team to a cup and I'm not sure we have had that before (not counting Helly).

don't really see how it was mishandled we traded 3 years of control of laine for 4 years control of pld, center is a lot harder position to fill then winger
Never mind that PLD is way better.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
If Chevy can get PLD for 5 years at $10 M AAV I say take it and run. If we can open up a contention window now it will be closing in 5 years anyways as all of Connor, Ehlers, Scheifele, Morrissey and Helly will be between 31 - 35 y/o. I was mad at PLD last summer with the Montreal rumours, but at this point he is second only to Helly in importance to our chances of winning a cup. Morrissey morphing into a true #1 D-Man is right up there as well.
I could get behind that. That would make him 28-29 when that contract ends and he can maximize when the cap is higher. Not that 10 million isnt something to sniff at either.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A combo of a re signed Scheifele and re signed PLD down the middle for the next 7-8 would have teams drooling, then start filing in the prospects with Ehlers KFC and Perfetti and you got a perennial Stanley Cup contender, of course you have to re sign Helle
If everything breaks the way we need, we actually have the makings of a true contender. Morrissey taking the giant leap forward under Bones is really helping set the stage with our strength down the middle and a Vezina goalie in net.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Seriously who cares what happens over the summer with PLD unless its the parade.
The future is now ... Chevy has made more good moves than bad why worry about what's he going to do with PLD. I know its a discussion board but unless you know PLD personally why speculate so much ... enjoy the ride.
Whatever Chevy does you know he is going to improve the Jets unless Chipman steps in which IMO he did with Maurice not being fired earlier.
For a team that most of you wanted to tear down and rebuild ... the majority of NHL fans would love to have the Jets as their team after all the Jets are #2 in the league with 25 ROW - Regulation plus Overtime Wins.
Relax enjoy the season ... we are at the half way point of the season and look at where the Jets are ... a Stanley Cup contender.

Reactions: GNP and Buffdog

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I’d go hard after Horvat if he would resign. Then you have both of them for the playoffs and if you have to trade PLD at the draft you’ll get back into the first round.

Reactions: 10Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad