Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - TB Maulers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I was prepared to be let down, but damn we played well. Tampa could’ve had five or six more penalties — they aren’t getting close to a Cup this year. No composure at all. Jets were under their skin all game.

Norrissey is a beast.

Go Jets Go! Keep stacking points.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Is there any reason why this team can't do aome serious damage in the playoffs?

They play like a team with improving defensive and special teams play.

We have a vezina caliber goalie playing at the top of his game.

A Norris caliber dmen

We have a physical beast of a 1C in Dubois who has to be in around the top 10C range this year.

We have Scheifele playing a strong two-way game at a 10-15 center range.

Throw in some star wingers in Conner and Ehlers and some other good top 6 ones in Fetts and Blake and we have a lethal top 6.

Lowry seems to be playing at a high end number 3 C level this year as well.

Really if we get some good players to shore up our bottom 6 we can do some damage imo.

This is easily a playoff team and quite possibly a contending team if we make some key additions.
And we have a good coach whose message isn’t stale!

Haven't seen this kind of swagger since Byfuglien left. Morrisey Scheifele and Connor are all playing very confidently. I'm getting a good feeling we will watch a lot of hockey this spring.
True. I always watch the Cup final, and I will again this year, even if it’s Vegas against Toronto.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
So they start shit and have to defend it, I think Cole has a taken a few to the noggin, Cirelli going after Chef after his clean hit, Stamkos losing it on Ehlers, and Colton with major interference on Chef behind the net.
Yeah the entire game was marked by this excessive weirdness, and I thought about it. Unfortunately I could only arrive at two conclusions. Perhaps its a mixture of the bolts' entitlement, arrogance, and an essential lack of respect for the opponent *or* its a manifestation of a tired crew at the very end of a tough road swing with lots of tight games.

As Frank Zappa would say, a "petulant frenzy" (1). :)

1. Baby don't you want a man like me. Frank Zappa, (Zappa in New York), recorded at the Palladium, 1976.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah the entire game was marked by this excessive weirdness, and I thought about it. Unfortunately I could only arrive at two conclusions. Perhaps its a mixture of the bolts' entitlement, arrogance, and an essential lack of respect for the opponent *or* its a manifestation of a tired crew at the very end of a tough road swing with lots of tight games.

As Frank Zappa would say, a "petulant frenzy" (1). :)

1. Baby don't you want a man like me. Frank Zappa, (Zappa in New York), recorded at the Palladium, 1976.
Speaking of Frank Zappa
Or too much
Titties and Beer on the road lol

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Had to lookup Frank Brimsek.
brimsek_frank.jpg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
When did the Bolts become such a greasy team, Stamkos especially tonight cross check to Ehlers kick to the back of the pants and then starts hitting him when he was down, I expect better from him.
And all because he was mad that he got a penalty for a crosscheck from behind. Idc if you think Ehlers dove, that's not a smart play.

Ps I don't think he dove. Players don't generally dive when they're going to go head first into the end boards.

You know who did dive? Kuch on that play at the end of the game. Embarrassing.

🙏 Jets majorly win that trade if PLD signs with the jets
I'm glad people are starting to realize what a vastly superior player PLD is to Laine

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
While I'm still mostly cautiously optimistic because it's still largely 37 carrying the load (IMO), it's a far cry from the 2019-22 years, where it was him doing like 85% of the carrying (and the PP% Sh% doing the other 15% for some time). Now it's maybe just shy of 50%.

This team is "average" (read: the other components of the game like shot rate and shot quality aren't a tremendous drag like they previously have been the last few years) but getting better and healthier - and most importantly, playing with emotion. It's really fun to be able to cheer for this team - now my hope is they do whatever it takes to get over the hump and put together a string of convincing wins to make them a more confident team and a true Stanley Cup contender.
What the stats don't tell is the change in battle level, passion, commitment and team components this group has majorly improved upon.

I also think the metrics are dragged down by our injuries, illness and schedule. We won last night and I don't think any of our returnees impacted the game positively.

Id expect our team stats to improve over the back half of the season as these players get up to speed and our schedule stabilizes.

Stats without context or proper interpretation are not useful.

Not to mention my issues with the science and integrity of the stats themselves but I'm not going down that road again.

Harkins is a prime example. Someone said he had the second best cf%? on the team when he got sent down, but Bones didn't like him very much, he didn't get picked up, and another poster pointed out some granular stats about successful zone exits and turnovers.

It's a real cautionary tale to not just look at statistics when assessing a player or team.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
When Wheeler’s cap comes off the books you can pay PLD, Scheif and Helle 10M each. The timing is perfect.
I really think PLD will sign a mid term deal with the Jets. Something like 5 at 10aav.

I wonder if Wheeler resigns with us to be our grizzly bottom 6 vet guy at like 3mm or something. I think so.

Add Apples and Meno to the bottom 6 and we are good to go.

What happened to Gagner tonight? He lookes about 5 years younger. :laugh:

Jets have shed some of their bad tendencies from previous years, like loosing to bad teams ans 2nd period naps.
I think Gagner should rotate in and out when we get healthy. I think when he gets tired he can't hang.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
And all because he was mad that he got a penalty for a crosscheck from behind. Idc if you think Ehlers dove, that's not a smart play.

Ps I don't think he dove. Players don't generally dive when they're going to go head first into the end boards.

You know who did dive? Kuch on that play at the end of the game. Embarrassing.

I'm glad people are starting to realize what a vastly superior player PLD is to Laine
Dubois is a better all around player than Laine , to me it's not even close plus Dubois is a center which every team would want. Now if Dubois doesn't want to sign here i won't be happy but that's a different discussion.

If you haven't seen the Jon Cooper post game, you should. Basically gave credit to the Jets for being disciplined, and them not. No complaints about refs. No excuses. Credited the Jets for waiting for Lightning screw ups and taking advantage.
Ya i watched that interview, very smart guy.:thumbu:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Gagne and AJF had a little under 9 minutes last night and is spots they do help this team but they both come out when Apples and Big Sak are ready
Yes, but, whether they are kept in pb and sub in depends on when Apple and Saks come back. Also Heinola will have to be sent down so they have pb spot for another forward. Can Stenlund be sent down without waivers? Can Gus?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Yes, but, whether they are kept in pb and sub in depends on when Apple and Saks come back. Also Heinola will have to be sent down so they have pb spot for another forward. Can Stenlund be sent down without waivers? Can Gus?
Apparently they are still a few weeks away from coming back so they can put of those decisions for a while

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The only waiver exempt players are Heinola, Samberg, Barron, Perfetti.

Depending on how healthy we get I'd bank on both our waiver exempt D being sent down, with Capo and Stanley rotating, depending on opponent.

As Voyageur pointed out, roster expansion happens after the TDL so we likely won't have to worry too much about it though. We can expand our roster, and will likely have to if we pick up a player or two with non roster players not being sent the other way.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Maybe the people trash talking him will finally stfu
To be fair he's only a force when he's engaged physically and emotionally. When he's going through the motions (like he has for stretches in his career) he's less effective, but still a big strong skilled centre.

That said, he's still young and maybe figuring out how to bring it every night is part of his maturing.

But if he can consistently play like he has this year, I'd be handing him a blank cheque right now

Reactions: Guardian17

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What the stats don't tell is the change in battle level, passion, commitment and team components this group has majorly improved upon.

I also think the metrics are dragged down by our injuries, illness and schedule. We won last night and I don't think any of our returnees impacted the game positively.

Id expect our team stats to improve over the back half of the season as these players get up to speed and our schedule stabilizes.

Stats without context or proper interpretation are not useful.

Not to mention my issues with the science and integrity of the stats themselves but I'm not going down that road again.

Harkins is a prime example. Someone said he had the second best cf%? on the team when he got sent down, but Bones didn't like him very much, he didn't get picked up, and another poster pointed out some granular stats about successful zone exits and turnovers.

It's a real cautionary tale to not just look at statistics when assessing a player or team.
Don't worry... someone who quotes stats all the time will come along and explain away why they don't work for Harkins in that one example that one time (like they do with all the examples all the time that don't match the narrative they're trying to build).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The only waiver exempt players are Heinola, Samberg, Barron, Perfetti.

Depending on how healthy we get I'd bank on both our waiver exempt D being sent down, with Capo and Stanley rotating, depending on opponent.

As Voyageur pointed out, roster expansion happens after the TDL so we likely won't have to worry too much about it though. We can expand our roster, and will likely have to if we pick up a player or two with non roster players not being sent the other way.
My guess if everyone gets healthy is we keep up 8 defenseman and risk sending a player like Kuhlman down. Better alternatives will be easily available at the TD.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
When did the Bolts become such a greasy team, Stamkos especially tonight cross check to Ehlers kick to the back of the pants and then starts hitting him when he was down, I expect better from him.
Ehlers went down like my son when I use a fake gun to play with him .

And I love it . They were hitting him when he was down because they thought he dove .

He greased them for a penalty and I love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad