Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 - Hawks 1

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
You don't need to be an expert on hockey to voice your opinion (a very convenient fact for myself as well!) so please don't let that stop you from contribution a full-throated critique of the team.
No, I don't need to be, but I often remind myself of the quote from Some Famous Male who once said: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt."

And in happier news: regardless of how the night ends, we are STILL in third place in our division and STILL in sixth place in our conference. Plus I have the most gorgeous bow-tied cat to add to my screen saver collection.

Time to hit the showers. Okay, shower. We only have one of them.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
No, I don't need to be, but I often remind myself of the quote from Some Famous Male who once said: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt."

And in happier news: regardless of how the night ends, we are STILL in third place in our division and STILL in sixth place in our conference. Plus I have the most gorgeous bow-tied cat to add to my screen saver collection.

Time to hit the showers. Okay, shower. We only have one of them.
I think you hockey comments are actually pretty good and observant.:nod:

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
I hope opposing scouts saw whatever many of you saw in Chisholm, Watched #47 today and saw a player who got caught up ice several times and when he was back was brutal defending rushes. Samberg had a good game.
I like Samberg very much but today he was a give away machine and was the sole cause of the Hawks only goal. I don’t think it was one of his better games.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
A win is a win is a win. More goals would have been nice.

The Hawks are one of the leagues weak sisters but as I've mentioned and was alluded to earlier here there are no easy outs in the NHL. If you let a weaker team hang around they may sneak up on you and beat you.

Bedard is very good, a generational talent as they say but dare I say, tongue in cheek of course that the Jets are developing their own generational talent in Cole Perfetti. He has been incredible thus far.

Need KFC to score. It's been 6 games now. Nearing "bust" territory.:naughty:

Morgan Barron getting one on what I think was mentioned was his birthday is nice. I hope to see him further up the lineup one day as I think there is so much more there that is difficult to showcase in 4th line minutes and with the typical responsibilities a 4th line has.

Helle not overly busy but made the saves he had to.

On to the next one. Virtually identical record to Carolina. Let's hope Monday night is win number 2 in a row of a 60 game win streak.:laugh:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 5.55.03 PM.png

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
I'm not an expert on hockey (major understatement) and I probably don't watch the game as closely as most of you, but I thought Chisholm was awful today. Mistakes all over the place. Schmidt would be a major improvement over #47 and that's despite the 'large salary', 'need to develop the kid', 'needs time to adjust' arguments.

And while I'm in a cranky mood, I thought Nino was also terrible, flubbing all sorts of chances and even being out-raced on a few occasions. And I'm still waiting for Villardi to prove he is worth the first line.

Okay, I'm done.
Bravo to you for touching on what needs touching up. Chisholm, Nino should definitely not skip any practices.
More full-speed passing drills.
But Wow @Inanna, the kitten has an infrasound roar, you just won the Sipowicz Award of the game!
Goodonya’!

• Haha
Reactions: Inanna

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
I'm not an expert on hockey (major understatement) and I probably don't watch the game as closely as most of you, but I thought Chisholm was awful today. Mistakes all over the place. Schmidt would be a major improvement over #47 and that's despite the 'large salary', 'need to develop the kid', 'needs time to adjust' arguments.

And while I'm in a cranky mood, I thought Nino was also terrible, flubbing all sorts of chances and even being out-raced on a few occasions. And I'm still waiting for Villardi to prove he is worth the first line.

Okay, I'm done.
I won't argue with your comments here.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Okay, I'm done.
I think we oughtta give Chisholm (first game of the season) and Vilardi (2nd game in 7 weeks) a bit of grace

Not only does it take time to acclimate to the physical demands of NHL play, but being able to read the game at the speed needed takes a bit of getting used to also

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Okay, I'm done.
Thanks for doing my job!

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Needed the win - especially against the Hawks.

I thought the top line could have scored 4 or 5 tonight - very unlucky.

Perfetti had a nice game - he looks so much more confident out there - he's starting to show is pedigree.

Vilardi looks more comfortable - not sure where he lands but he'll make that line a lot better - looks like his shot timing is still off a bit and to be expected.

47 is silky smooth out there - very refreshing to see a dman that can lug the puck and make a few plays on his own. Great skater and good puck handler from this small sample but encouraging. The question is, can he defend - get him in against a couple of teams that can test him.

The third line simple ran Chicago over - not much finish there but they were more than the Hawks could handle

Helle had the night off - which is good.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That was a fun game to be at. It was nice to get a convincing win to end the little skid.

Bedard is going to be a special player. He's really got it all except blazing speed. Sick hands, an amazing shot and he's a very good passer. That backhand seam pass was a thing of beauty.

Helle was great again in net.

JoMo/DeMelo: The pair had a good night. They played a strong two way game. JoMo was looking very good activating.

Pionk/Dillion: Thought Pionk wasn't quite as good as he has been lately but the pairing was still solid.

Snerg and Chisholm had a good night. I'm happy Declan got his first NHL point. I also thought he acquitted himself very well. There were a couple of defensive hiccups but otherwise he was sound in his end. I like that he knows who he is and plays his assertive game with the puck. Showed some good puck rushing and breakouts. I think he's definitely earned another game. Snerg was his usual defensive self.

Top line generated a lot of looks but couldn't get anything to fall 5 on 5. Ehlers with a nice assist just after a pp, he was skating and creating havoc all night. Mark with a nice goal and a sound all around game. KC didn't quite have his hands and finish but still was playing hard.

Second line: I thought this group got more comfortable as the game went on. It will probably take another game to get more in sync with there reads. I liked the hybrid center thing they had Cole and Gabe doing. I think some suggested it this summer. Cole got a goal and there were a couple of near misses as well. They were good defensively and can build off of it.

Third line: Hemmed the Bedard line in their end most of the game and had a couple of looks. They got beat for a GA on a favorable bounce for the Hawks. Their shooting has cooled off bit.

Fourth line: Thought if we had a weak line this was it. They didn't generate much and gave up a decent amount. Barron got a nice goal on the makeshift third line after the PP.

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
That was a fun game to be at. It was nice to get a convincing win to end the little skid.

Bedard is going to be a special player. He's really got it all except blazing speed. Sick hands, an amazing shot and he's a very good passer. That backhand seam pass was a thing of beauty.

Helle was great again in net.

JoMo/DeMelo: The pair had a good night. They played a strong teo way game. JoMo.was looking very good activating.

Pionk/Dillion: Thought Pionk wasn't quite as good as he has been lately but the pairing was still solid.

Snerg and Chisholm had a good night. I'm happy Declan got his first NHL point. I also thought he acquitted himself very well. There were a couple of defensive hiccups but otherwise he was real sound in his end. I like that he knows who he is and plays his assertive game with the puck. Showed some good puck rushing and breakouts. I think he's definitely earned another game. Snerg was his usual defensive self.

Top line generated a lot of looks but couldn't get anything to fall 5 on 5. Ehlers with a nice assist just after a pp, he was skating and creating havoc all night. Mark with a nice goal and a sound all around game. KC didn't quite have his hands and finish but still was playing hard.

Second line: I thought this group got more comfortable as the game went on. It will probably take another game to get in sync with there reads. I liked the hybrid center thing they had Cole and Gabe doing. I think some suggested it this summer. Cole got a goal and there were a couple near misses as well. They were good defensively and can build off of it.

Third line: Hemmed the Bedard line in their end most of the game and had a couple of looks. They got beat for a GA on a favorable voice for the Hawks. Their shooting has cooled off bit.

Fourth line: Thought if we had a weak line this was it. They didn't generate much and have up a decent amount. Barron got a nice goal on the makeshift third line after the PP.
I was told this game was bad because we lost the xg battle

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I liked what I saw today. A few thoughts:

G-Helle is really rounding into form, as reflected by his save% these past half-dozen starts. A big improvement from previous seasons is his puck handling--much more confident and competent

D-Morrissey continues to play at a Norris level. Pionk and Dillon are improved from last year. I watched Chisholm closely today and thought he showed very good poise and decision-making to complement his great skating skills. There is no doubt that that he is NHL-ready and ahead of Stanley (and Schmidt) on the depth chart.

F-For reasons that I don't completely understand (but have opined about in his thread) Scheifele is once again playing consistently like a top-10 C in the league. If he keeps this up, it means the Jets now have a top-5 goalie, top-5ish D and top 10C, which is the basis for any legitimate contender. Add in a healthy Ehlers and Vilardi and we have incredible talent AND depth in our forward group..

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
My ninety year old mother didn't like the start of this game, but she came around once the Jets started to score! She gives the game three cheers out of five...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

The Prediction Contest for the game against the Carolina Hurricanes has been posted, so you can start making your guesses. Don't forget to sign up to create a GDT, you don't want Sally Struthers to get upset now, would you...

giphy.gif

See you all Monday! Good night...

giphy.gif

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was wholly impressed with Chizz' patience and decision making with the puck, as well as his agility and edgework. I want to see more of him.

Idk I was against having 27 55 81 but I feel like they could be a possession menace. It probably does make more sense to spread out our a bit though, I don't really know who will work with 13 and 91, though I suspect 9 might be a good fit given his history with Gabe.

There were periods of the game where the Jets were kind of globetrottering the Hawks, loved to see it.

You do like to live in the world of the half empty glass. The 1st hour or so after a win should just be to enjoy. Lots of time to knit pick.
I'm so thankful my pgt feed is clean.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
We gotta get these lines stablized, so they get used to playing with each other. Too much shuffling these guys around, I do not like.
Last game people complained Bones didn't change the lines. 😆

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad